PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb style intake....elbow and a TB, can it be SD tuned like that?

Old 12-20-2007, 11:37 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb style intake....elbow and a TB, can it be SD tuned like that?

Say a big cube 454ci with a GM carb style intake and an elbow with the TB, thats it.

Can it be tuned with SD and work just fine?
Old 12-20-2007, 12:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's how I had our LS1 race car running for a long time, so long as you incorporate a MAP sensor you should be fine.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 12secSS
That's how I had our LS1 race car running for a long time, so long as you incorporate a MAP sensor you should be fine.

Would that set-up (carb style with an elbow) outflow the LS7 intake?

If so, by alot or just a little?
Old 12-20-2007, 03:18 PM
9 Second Club

I run my 408 with that setup in semi-open loop speed density (EFILive custom operating system) and it works great...
Old 12-20-2007, 04:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
I run my 408 with that setup in semi-open loop speed density (EFILive custom operating system) and it works great...
Thanks for the info.

Do you know if this set-up will outflow the LS7 intake?

Has anyone gotten any dyno or flow number comparisons?
Old 12-20-2007, 06:14 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lilmachine
Thanks for the info.

Do you know if this set-up will outflow the LS7 intake?

Has anyone gotten any dyno or flow number comparisons?
First off, the LS7 intake only fits LS7 heads. It doesnt fit cathedrals, and it doesnt fit L92s. So, unless you're running LS7 heads, its a moot point.
Second, the flow characteristics of the two intakes are completely different. The LS7 intake is made to make power in a more "usable" range. That is, under about 6500 or so. Much better low end numbers than an open plenum carb style intake.
The open plenum on the other hand, will flow better at a higher RPM, but will have a much narrower power band.
Drag race only, with a high stall, or clutch, the open plenum may be the way to go. Anything less, and OVERALL performance will suffer.
HTH
BTW, anything with input for a MAP sensor can be tuned SD.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:42 PM
9 Second Club

What he said ^ about the flow characteristics... I assumed you had LS7 heads since you asked about the intake - its pretty much common knowledge that the 3 different types of heads require their own perspective type of intake...

I would add this though: My car is primarily a nitrous drag car - however, with the carb style intake and elbow, it still makes more power than is possibly usable on the street... and then at the track, I get the distribution of a nitrous plate system on a carb style intake, which is way better than a log style intake for big shots... just my 2 cents...
Old 12-20-2007, 06:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
First off, the LS7 intake only fits LS7 heads. It doesnt fit cathedrals, and it doesnt fit L92s. So, unless you're running LS7 heads, its a moot point.
ETP LS7 rectangular port 6-bolts per cylinder heads.

Second, the flow characteristics of the two intakes are completely different. The LS7 intake is made to make power in a more "usable" range. That is, under about 6500 or so. Much better low end numbers than an open plenum carb style intake.
The open plenum on the other hand, will flow better at a higher RPM, but will have a much narrower power band.
Drag race only, with a high stall, or clutch, the open plenum may be the way to go. Anything less, and OVERALL performance will suffer.
HTH
BTW, anything with input for a MAP sensor can be tuned SD.
So if someone wanted to just drive it on the highway and do high rpm runs, carb style would be the way to go? I'm sure it would be plenty powerful to get by in the low end driving around in the city, right? I mean its not gonna get walked "from a dig" by a stock LS1 from a traffic light, right?
Old 12-21-2007, 08:08 PM
TECH Resident

Yes you will have plenty of power for the street if you have it tuned properly...a lot of times the loss of low end torque actually helps in a traction limited environment.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I wouldn't be too worried about low end with a 454

Search this Thread