Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help...want to go back to MAF tune from SD

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help...want to go back to MAF tune from SD

okay..I got my TFS heads and PT4000 converter put in and all is well but my maf was bad so i had it tuned in speed density.Well i think SD sucks *****,idle is horrible now,and when i got into reverse the car just wants to die.Is it possible to get a new maf and plug it in and go or do i have to basicly have my tune reworked again.Car surges alot when you hit the gas wrong,and in park.Just basicly goes up and down a few hundred rpms...Any idea on what the problem may be...Bad plug wire....tps...im killing myself over this issue that seems to have just gotten worse
Old 01-05-2008, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you most likely need a re-tune.
it sounds like it was not done right.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:55 PM
Launching!

Yea,i was affraid of that.Ill just send it to texas speed for a mail order tune.there arnt any quality tuners around here.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

You might want to look into getting it tuned by Jeremy Formato. He knows his stuff pretty well and does great work. He's in Tampa. Do a search or PM me I can get you his phone #.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BigBirdTA
You might want to look into getting it tuned by Jeremy Formato. He knows his stuff pretty well and does great work. He's in Tampa. Do a search or PM me I can get you his phone #.
Its funny you say that because formato tuned my car first when i was cam only,and my idle problems came from his tune.Im sure hes done wonders to other peoples cars but when it came to mine he did a shitty job with the idle.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Dynojet Fan

Sounds about right
Old 01-05-2008, 10:35 PM
FormerVendor

way too many mods for a mail order tune for anything except getting the car driveable enough to take it to a tuner. Seriously.

ANd the issues you describe point to an unfinished tune, especially the idle surging, which is almost certainly over fueling.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Frost
way too many mods for a mail order tune for anything except getting the car driveable enough to take it to a tuner. Seriously.

ANd the issues you describe point to an unfinished tune, especially the idle surging, which is almost certainly over fueling.

The car will drive almost fine one day and different the next,but the surging has always been there.I completely agree with you about the mail order but its not like i have alot of options here...Its obvious thAT the tuners around here connot get it right so why not give TSP a chance?With you saying that its an unfinished tune,couldnt TSP finish it with my description of the problem and mods to boot?
Old 01-05-2008, 11:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

You really only have two good options. Either find someone you trust with the time to tune it right, or learn to tune yourself. I always vote learning to tune for yourself.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:57 PM
FormerVendor

Seriously, no mail order tune is gonna do for your car. It has to be done with a wideband on the car.

Ask gametech to make a roadtrip
Old 01-06-2008, 12:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Seriously, no mail order tune is gonna do for your car. It has to be done with a wideband on the car.

I only know enough about tuning to eventually figure out mine and a few close friend's tunes. I can't imagine doing a good job with a tune on any reasonable budget. This is why I always recommend learning for youself. Picture your tune as OJ, and you want to be found "not guilty" for $500 or less.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:00 AM
Launching!

Alright screw it...which tuning software to buy?...HPtuners,or EFIlive.???

Which one is better suited for the first time tuner,and is more user friendly?

Also...do i need a labtop for both?

Thanks Frost,i think you put me in the right direction..
Old 01-06-2008, 07:31 AM
FormerVendor

I like HPTuners because you can get real time tuning on your stock PCM using the credits you get up front (so like having it included in the initial purchase cost!) using the MAF Enhanced OS (1 measly credit). It's a touch cheaper than EFIL. They are quite similar though. Check the forums for both to see where there is more support. I don't know about the the EFIL forums, but the HPT forums are full of people that wanna help and really know what they are doing. Either way, buy the wideband up front too. Consider something portable like the LM1 so that you can use it on your TBSS too when the time comes.

Gametech, I kinda took you to be a tuner after reading a lot of your posts
Old 01-06-2008, 10:37 AM
Launching!

I went ahead and ordered the standard VCM suite,like you said ill be able to tune both vehicles which is a big plus.Thanks again for your help,this is a better all around option.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

to bad you don't live in the north TX area, we have a few great TUNERS around here!
Old 01-06-2008, 10:50 AM
FormerVendor

Now, when you get the software, pull your file.... pay attention to what RPMs your car surges at and post your file. I or someone else can make a small quick change to get that to settle out and get you pointed in the right direction for fixing it yourself. Your car is really modified, you need your own software for tuning and troubleshooting; this is good use of mod money.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

this is good use of mod money.
I got HPT and a LC1 and think it's the best money spent on my car in a long time.