Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I benefit from a tune?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 02:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I benefit from a tune?

Did a few things to my car was wondering if I would benefit from a tune and if it would be worth the $$$.

1998 Z28 A4

Removed cats (stock manifolds and y pipe)
Edelbrock cat back
LID/K&N
SLP bellow
Ported TB/ polished maf
Removed air, egr
From the way it shifts I think it has a HPP (would this interfear with anything?)
SES light is on

thanks
Old 01-14-2008, 02:37 PM
12 Second Club

You can ALWAYS benefit from a tune and as for being worth it...YES!!! Just compare prices and go with the cheapest that is a good reputable business. When you do all that to a car it pisses off the computer cause the car isnt doing what it is "supposed" to. Therefore the computer throws the SES light, you are probably burning rich right now which wastes fuel and costs $$$. Not to mention what else it might be messing up in there. No telling how much horsepower your losing from it too cause the computer is trying to compensate...I have "heard" of 65hp gains from a tune alone...but I havent seen it personally. It will fix your fuel efficiancy and engine life as long as you take care of it. Plus you can do cool things like lower the fan temp so they come on at a cooler temp...and change the fuel pressure settings, etc........if its an auto you can alter the RPM's it shifts at, etc. so my answer is HELL YES you can benefit and HELL YES its worth the $$$.......
Old 01-14-2008, 02:39 PM
12 Second Club

I am almost willing to bet it is popping an O2 code, or Catalyst code mainly because you removed the EGR and AIR...they are there to improve emissions by adding clean filtered ait to the exhaust.......you should get it fixed before you destroy your O2 sensors if they arent already.

Last edited by Z28Camaro30Ann; 01-14-2008 at 02:39 PM. Reason: mispelled O2 lol
Old 01-14-2008, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you ported the MAF u need a tune(BAD to port). Make sure they use a wideband to get a/f ratio to 12.8 at full throttle. By the way they only add air at start up. The O2 keep the A/F ratio at 14.7 for anything not full throttle. EGR adds exhaust to the clean filtered air. You might get 20 to 30 HP if you have a good tuner. They should know what they are doing or you might get some bad advice.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:55 AM
Banned

When I bought my car I beleive it has a hypertech tune in it, because it has a 160 stat and the fans come on early plus the way it shifts and stuff (didnt come with the handheld hpp). Will this be a problem when they go to tune it or can they just wright over it? I got a quote for $450 for a dyno tune is this a fair price? From what I hear the guy is the best around this area.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:27 PM
12 Second Club

sounds fair to me....
Old 01-16-2008, 12:20 AM
On The Tree

Just to let you know, i dynoed my car with the SES light on because of no catalytics, just turning that SES light of, removing the codes for the O2 sensor, the rwhp went up 11rwhp. I made 3 passes with SES ON and 3 with SES OFF. SO make sure to turn it off. Your car right know is running in what is call a protective mode, that of the protective mode i read it from a GM LS1-LS7 Performance guide.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:15 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by juanjuan07
Just to let you know, i dynoed my car with the SES light on because of no catalytics, just turning that SES light of, removing the codes for the O2 sensor, the rwhp went up 11rwhp. I made 3 passes with SES ON and 3 with SES OFF. SO make sure to turn it off. Your car right know is running in what is call a protective mode, that of the protective mode i read it from a GM LS1-LS7 Performance guide.
If you had a rear 02 SES (only one that will be set due to not having cats), then you were not in protective mode (becouse of that SES) and turning that off will not make any more power.

What could have happened, is your tuner noticed your rear ses light, noticed you dont have CATS, and turned off your CAT overtemp protection, which could explain 11 RWHP (CAT Overtemp will cause you to run rich). Having a rear 02 SES will not affect how your car runs.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:33 AM
TECH Regular

My car is essentially modded like yours (except I installed an 85mm MAF) and I tuned it with HP Tuners. I definetly benefited.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Eurospec2
If you had a rear 02 SES (only one that will be set due to not having cats), then you were not in protective mode (becouse of that SES) and turning that off will not make any more power.

What could have happened, is your tuner noticed your rear ses light, noticed you dont have CATS, and turned off your CAT overtemp protection, which could explain 11 RWHP (CAT Overtemp will cause you to run rich). Having a rear 02 SES will not affect how your car runs.

Ahh ha! It felt like I lost a little power after putting the ory on and removing the air/egr stuff.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:00 AM
Banned

I think in going to go ahead and get it done, im pretty sure im done with the mods...I was going to do a ls6 intake but not sure it is worth it to only gain
10hp from 5k to 6k rpms. Would like to do a cam but that would start a big chain reaction of other stuff that should be done while your in there, oil pump,timing chain,springs etc. Dont have the coin right now.