Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

ROLL CALL! Trans Am Nationals

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For the record the Q-tip cleaners do not always win their class. case and point. in the 93-97 modified class there were approx 5 cars and they gave out 2 trophies. the first place guy's car was low miles and really nice. there was a guy with a blue formula who spent about 3 hrs sunday with a q tip doing his whole car. the guy next to me said someone came up to his purple pearl 93 and complimented on it and he said you could see the steam coming out from the guy with the 94 formula's ears i bet he was even more pissed when the trophies were announced. the low mileage WS6 got first and i got second. i did do some last minute cleaning but i didn't go all out. the guy with the purple pearl formula even let me borrow some of his chrome/stainless cleaner to touch up my exhaust tips and jokingly said "i don't want you blaming your dirty exhaust tips if i beat you so i want it to be fair" he took the pic for me below, and yeah my face is as red as the T/A in BJ & the Bear.

This is the purple pearl 93 i was parked by

more pics (about 380 of them once they finish uploading) can be found here.

http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/f...ionals%202009/

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 08-31-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:06 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I only took 57 pics this year since I'd photographed a lot of the cars at one time or another during the six previous shows I've attended.

In heavy custom you have the cars with the 100% stock powertrain but appearance items to the hilt, and you also have the cars that have more performance mods than appearance mods. It comes down to what that particular judge likes that particular year. That's why I don't go to get a trophy. If I want a trophy, I'll go down the street to the trophy shop and have one made

I did manage to set of 9 car alarms between the show grounds and the Super 8 parking lot during the weekend. All nine were 'birds too. I love my loud car! (I was the guy with the curly hair that you spoke with as we were both checking out of the motel)

My pics are here: http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/u...m%20Nationals/
Old 08-31-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
I only took 57 pics this year since I'd photographed a lot of the cars at one time or another during the six previous shows I've attended.

In heavy custom you have the cars with the 100% stock powertrain but appearance items to the hilt, and you also have the cars that have more performance mods than appearance mods. It comes down to what that particular judge likes that particular year. That's why I don't go to get a trophy. If I want a trophy, I'll go down the street to the trophy shop and have one made

I did manage to set of 9 car alarms between the show grounds and the Super 8 parking lot during the weekend. All nine were 'birds too. I love my loud car! (I was the guy with the curly hair that you spoke with as we were both checking out of the motel)

ah yes. while we were standing there saying how slow the service at the desk was and the dude was sitting there behind the desk the whole time, woops

I didn't expect a trophy either, and thats not why i asked them to take me out of heavy custom last year. i just didn't feel that adding a WS6 hood and airbox and wheels = heavy custom and i was way out modded and couldn't fairly compete. once they moved me i found 2 or 3 cars set up exactly the same way mine was in modified so i guess the tech people were not comparing notes on what they allowed and what they did not.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:39 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
ah yes. while we were standing there saying how slow the service at the desk was and the dude was sitting there behind the desk the whole time, woops
Well it wasn't our fault that the guy had three customers standing less than five feet from him, and he wasn't getting up to help us. The other fella was selling the magazine subscriptions at the show, and I'm sure he was anxious to get outta there too.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice pics Scott--I like your exhaust sound--very powerfull
Old 09-01-2009, 07:34 AM
Teching In

nice pics guys, wish there was somthing like this down my way.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Well it wasn't our fault that the guy had three customers standing less than five feet from him, and he wasn't getting up to help us. The other fella was selling the magazine subscriptions at the show, and I'm sure he was anxious to get outta there too.
very true. i had the same problem checking in as well. i must have waited for 10-15 mins before someone came back to the front desk from outside somewhere. i went over there around 3pm friday just to check in and drop off some junk.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just put up 3 sets of pic from the Nats' on my Webshots. Just click on my webshots link.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Congrats on the third place Dave!

My score sheets
Attached Thumbnails ROLL CALL! Trans Am Nationals-scoresheet1.jpg   ROLL CALL! Trans Am Nationals-scoresheet2.jpg  
Old 09-12-2009, 08:16 AM
Teching In

That show used to be a great show several years ago. Now if you dont kiss their but or dont know any of the judges you get nothing. I have been there several times in the past with good response but latley I think it is a joke.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by FNFAST2
That show used to be a great show several years ago. Now if you dont kiss their but or dont know any of the judges you get nothing. I have been there several times in the past with good response but latley I think it is a joke.
i don't think thats true at all. i didn't know any judges and i actually caused a little bit of a rift last year by protesting the class they put me in and was able to get moved into a different class and they remembered it this year when i teched in. i still placed second. Bird man, how did you get your sheets already? i haven't even seen a page where you can send the $5 to order them yet?
Old 09-12-2009, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

The judges are different every year---sometimes they like one thing--the next year they don't. And you don't have to suck up either

Last edited by Bird Man; 09-12-2009 at 11:47 AM.

Quick Reply: ROLL CALL! Trans Am Nationals