Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

ROLL CALL! Trans Am Nationals

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 04:30 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Default ROLL CALL! Trans Am Nationals

Post up if you're going, what day you plan on arriving & what you're bringing.

I'll be there on Friday. I"ll be in my Pewter Metallic 2000 Trans Am.

I just found out the reason the show was moved to Downtown Dayton while attending a car show on Sunday. Apparently, they planned to tear down the Dayton Airport Hotel because it was losing money (and build a new hotel to replace it....as if that makes any sense?). Anyway, the show ended up relocating to the Marriott in Downtown Dayton. After the move, I guess the folks at the Dayton Airport Hotel called back and said something to the effect of "Hey, they decided to not tear down the hotel until the other one is built....so come on back!" Well, the show organizers were already contractually obligated to the Marriott.........so high ho high ho it's off to the Marriott we go!

Scott
Old 08-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would love to come over one day and see this all i have seen is pics

i would get one set up in the uk but half the people would not turn up or it would be raining that weekend lol
Old 08-12-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to be arriving Friday morning (driving to ciincinnati thursday night to stay with relatives) and am staying at the super 8 that's about 2 miles from the hotel. i found out it has no pool which sucks since it was nice to relax in the pool at the other S8 i stayed at last year up by the old hotel. I'm going to be bringing the car in my sig. a 1995 trans am.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am bringing the Surfer for it 8th show. Friday thru Sunday. Maybe we can park near each other.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I read they are unveiling a trans am body kit for the new camaro at the show. New camaro to a fake ta
Old 08-13-2009, 12:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BanditTA
I read they are unveiling a trans am body kit for the new camaro at the show. New camaro to a fake ta
I heard the same. i figured it was just the ASC blue one but it said it's got the front end of a 77 so i dunno.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:33 PM
'Bird Director

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
I'm going to be arriving Friday morning (driving to ciincinnati thursday night to stay with relatives) and am staying at the super 8 that's about 2 miles from the hotel. i found out it has no pool which sucks since it was nice to relax in the pool at the other S8 i stayed at last year up by the old hotel. I'm going to be bringing the car in my sig. a 1995 trans am.
I'm staying there too. I hope the parking lot is well-lit.

Originally Posted by Bird Man
I am bringing the Surfer for it 8th show. Friday thru Sunday. Maybe we can park near each other.
Yeah Dave...we just might get to do that again!
Old 08-13-2009, 04:37 PM
'Bird Director

Originally Posted by BanditTA
I heard the same. i figured it was just the ASC blue one but it said it's got the front end of a 77 so i dunno.
http://www.motorcities.com/vehicle/09HBF573218817.html
Old 08-13-2009, 04:51 PM
12 Second Club

Could someone give me directions there please??? coming from Columbus, Ohio
Old 08-13-2009, 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mitahuoch
Could someone give me directions there please??? coming from Columbus, Ohio
70 west to Dayton
Old 08-13-2009, 07:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This will be my 12th year straight coming down. Only going to do a one day turn and burn on Saturday. Plan on arriving around noon and going out to Tipp City and staying there till about 8:30- 9 pm and coming home. I haven't done the full 3 days since 2006. I want to scope out this new hotel and see what the deal is. Bringing the bucket in my sig.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by y2k_ta

I just found out the reason the show was moved to Downtown Dayton while attending a car show on Sunday. Apparently, they planned to tear down the Dayton Airport Hotel because it was losing money (and build a new hotel to replace it....as if that makes any sense?). Anyway, the show ended up relocating to the Marriott in Downtown Dayton. After the move, I guess the folks at the Dayton Airport Hotel called back and said something to the effect of "Hey, they decided to not tear down the hotel until the other one is built....so come on back!" Well, the show organizers were already contractually obligated to the Marriott.........so high ho high ho it's off to the Marriott we go!

Scott
The Dayton Airport Inn was losing money. They announced they were closing like 10 months ago and the report said that 1/3 of the rooms at the DAI were basically so rundown that they were uninhabitable. Mold on the walls, broken pipes and typical abuse. I never stayed there myself, but I can't imagine that it saw that much business except for the Nats.

I guess we'll see how the Marriott goes. Does anyone know if there is any type of security at the new hotel for the cars?
Old 08-13-2009, 09:53 PM
TECH Junkie

it appears to be. i did a virtual drive from the super 8 to the marriott via google maps last night, lol.

as for the T/A unveiling. the front looks pretty good although i wish they would have done a quald headlight setup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5afm...layer_embedded
Old 08-14-2009, 07:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

I will be looking for you.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SweeTbone
This will be my 12th year straight coming down. Only going to do a one day turn and burn on Saturday. Plan on arriving around noon and going out to Tipp City and staying there till about 8:30- 9 pm and coming home. I haven't done the full 3 days since 2006. I want to scope out this new hotel and see what the deal is. Bringing the bucket in my sig.
Looking forward to seeing you again
Old 08-15-2009, 03:43 PM
'Bird Director

it appears to be. i did a virtual drive from the super 8 to the marriott via google maps last night, lol.
If I had a collapsible bicycle, I'd just leave the car in the old NCR parking lot (where the car show will be held) and ride it back-and-forth to the Super 8.

The NCR Corporation moved to Atlanta, so the parking lot now belongs to the University of Dayton. The parking lot has lights, but I've been told that nobody knows how to turn them on (hopefully that has been resolved). If they can't be turned on, I've been told that portable lighting will be brought in.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:20 AM
TECH Junkie

If I had a collapsible bicycle, I'd just leave the car in the old NCR parking lot (where the car show will be held) and ride it back-and-forth to the Super 8.

The NCR Corporation moved to Atlanta, so the parking lot now belongs to the University of Dayton. The parking lot has lights, but I've been told that nobody knows how to turn them on (hopefully that has been resolved). If they can't be turned on, I've been told that portable lighting will be brought in.
it looks like there is a decent amount of parking at the S8. i've heard some stories posted by reviewers that the neighborhood is questionable but hopefully that was just someone who was dissatisfied for whatever reason and not really the case. in any event here is a pic of the parking lot at the roach 8. it sucks they don't have a pool but maybe i can convince someone who is actually staying at the marriott to let me use the pool friday night or something. i remember last year it was really nice to relax in the pool after being at the show all day.

http://www.super8.com/Super8/control...kAvailMod=true

so according to the site it says "pool under renovation" so maybe there is a pool that has been built that was not there in 2006 (the one review i saw that said there was no pool was dated sometime in 06)

Old 08-16-2009, 12:18 PM
TECH Junkie

I just called the hotel and there is no pool. Doh! oh well i guess thats what a $40/night hotel is all about. then again the northern Super 8 up by the airport hotel had one.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:20 PM
'Bird Director

Well it looks like a decent place. You can always fill the tub up in your room

Other than the one year I actually stayed with someone at the Dayton Airport Inn, this is the closest I've stayed to the show. That's what I'm most looking forward to...and hopefully my fiancee will be able to get off work and join me.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Well it looks like a decent place. You can always fill the tub up in your room

Other than the one year I actually stayed with someone at the Dayton Airport Inn, this is the closest I've stayed to the show. That's what I'm most looking forward to...and hopefully my fiancee will be able to get off work and join me.
part of me thinks that if the pool in the pics is not from that hotel, the nice shots of the room aren't either

Quick Reply: ROLL CALL! Trans Am Nationals