Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

Removing Starter on a V6

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removing Starter on a V6

I think my starter has died. Cant tell unless I test it, but I don't know how to get to it.
Anyone have any tips?
I know where abouts it is, just how do I get to it?
2000 Firebird v6.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Super-Bat
I think my starter has died. Cant tell unless I test it, but I don't know how to get to it.
Anyone have any tips?
I know where abouts it is, just how do I get to it?
2000 Firebird v6.
Me and my brother changed a starter off a 3.8 in a camaro. It took me a couple minutes to find it but i found it hidding behind a metal shield. I guess its to protect it form weather or dust. Might wanna look for a shield of some sort. Im pretty sure its factory. It had only about 4 small bolts. Probably a size 10 or 12mm at the top of my head. good luck.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSdimension
Me and my brother changed a starter off a 3.8 in a camaro. It took me a couple minutes to find it but i found it hidding behind a metal shield. I guess its to protect it form weather or dust. Might wanna look for a shield of some sort. Im pretty sure its factory. It had only about 4 small bolts. Probably a size 10 or 12mm at the top of my head. good luck.
Yeah, I figured it's under there.
Does the exhaust have to be moved/removed to access it?

Last edited by Super-Bat; 09-01-2009 at 12:26 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone?
Old 09-01-2009, 09:26 AM
Launching!

Yeah, I figured it's under there.
Does the exhaust have to be moved/removed to access it?
lol no, its the easiest thing in the world to replace. Mine on my old v6 car went out just before a car show. Tap it with a hammer while trying to start the car, that should help you get it started to move the car around. We own an auto repair shop so I just drove it over into the shop and put it on a lift, had mine swapped in 10-15 minutes and I was on my way to the show , its just a couple bolts holding it on, exhaust doesnt effect it at all and its super easy to get at everything.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redfbird99
lol no, its the easiest thing in the world to replace. Mine on my old v6 car went out just before a car show. Tap it with a hammer while trying to start the car, that should help you get it started to move the car around. We own an auto repair shop so I just drove it over into the shop and put it on a lift, had mine swapped in 10-15 minutes and I was on my way to the show , its just a couple bolts holding it on, exhaust doesnt effect it at all and its super easy to get at everything.
Alright. Because I've been down there before. Even they Haynes manual suggests taking off the CAT. I know there's that shield, but one of the bolts is behind an exhaust pipe, so I'm just curious if that shield is removable with the exhaust still in place. I'll give it a shot.
Thanks.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:27 PM
Launching!

Alright. Because I've been down there before. Even they Haynes manual suggests taking off the CAT. I know there's that shield, but one of the bolts is behind an exhaust pipe, so I'm just curious if that shield is removable with the exhaust still in place. I'll give it a shot.
Thanks.
On the V6 the only CAT (catalytic converter) is below the passenger seat.. something tells me you are looking at how to remove an ls1 starter or something..? I remember it being incredibly easy to swap because I got it done fast to get to the car show, definately didn't mess with the exhaust at all..
Old 09-01-2009, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redfbird99
On the V6 the only CAT (catalytic converter) is below the passenger seat.. something tells me you are looking at how to remove an ls1 starter or something..? I remember it being incredibly easy to swap because I got it done fast to get to the car show, definately didn't mess with the exhaust at all..
The V6 starter is on the passenger side, correct?
Old 09-01-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Battery test at vatozone proved the battery is fine. Fully charged. Told the lady (she's the manager) what happened.
"Single click when you turn the key?"
me- "yes."
"Starter."
damn.
She put in an order for me to get the part. She said she could keep her store open till midnight tonight so I could get the part tonight, but I told her I wasn't going to work on the car with no light, so tomorrow morning would be okay. Which works out nicely. I only have one class in the morning, just gotta suck up the embarrassment of working on my car in the middle of a parking lot in the middle of the day. Lol.
$159 bucks at vatozone for a new starter. Tis fail. I was told not to buy from there, but... really... it's just too convenient not to.

Last edited by Super-Bat; 09-01-2009 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

SHE RUNS!!!
Woot.

so... starter is located on the Driver's side... just FYI. TOTALLY opposite of what Hayne's manual says.
Old 12-20-2019, 01:34 PM

how does protective shield go back on the starter?

Quick Reply: Removing Starter on a V6