Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Stolen collectors edition 2002 ta

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I am a law enforcement officer with 16 years experience. I have working in the stolen car squad before and we have found the best way to hide things are in plain site. Sometimes there are dishonorable paint/body shops that get a nice car that was totaled by the insurance, but the shop is able t talk them out of a salvaged the title. The it is fairly easy steal a car just like it, remove all the VIN plates & stickers from the totaled car, and transplant them to the stolen car. Then the sell the car 'legitimately' as the vehicle that was originally totaled....but of course, they never mention that. It would be near to impossible to find the car again, unless you start doing frame VINs and most owners won't volunteer their vehicle, because if it stolen and the 'legitimately' bought it, they loose the car and possibly the invested money. Sorry for the bad news, but it is a reality I deal with on a regular basis.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Having your car stolen with the keys in it is rough to find. Did your insurance pay up? Most insurance won't pay if the car is recovered with the ignition still intact.

With nothing broken or busted like windows or ignition or door locks, thieves have many options to do whatever they want with the car. If nobody has found it in 2 years it could quite possibly be out of the US. Real easy to do if the country drives lefthand driven vehicles.

Sorry for your loss!
Old 12-01-2009, 07:42 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by muteki
Ok, I am a law enforcement officer with 16 years experience. I have working in the stolen car squad before and we have found the best way to hide things are in plain site. Sometimes there are dishonorable paint/body shops that get a nice car that was totaled by the insurance, but the shop is able t talk them out of a salvaged the title. The it is fairly easy steal a car just like it, remove all the VIN plates & stickers from the totaled car, and transplant them to the stolen car. Then the sell the car 'legitimately' as the vehicle that was originally totaled....but of course, they never mention that. It would be near to impossible to find the car again, unless you start doing frame VINs and most owners won't volunteer their vehicle, because if it stolen and the 'legitimately' bought it, they loose the car and possibly the invested money. Sorry for the bad news, but it is a reality I deal with on a regular basis.
Just like the story line of the Original Gone in Sixty Seconds movie. They show them doing that with a Hemi Challenger.

Quick Reply: Stolen collectors edition 2002 ta