Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

low fluid and security lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 05:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post low fluid and security lights

For some reason the low fluid light and security light on my 1998 trans am will not stay off. I know it has fluid and I have checked it so I don't know if there is a sensor out or where I would find that.
Also, my security light is on ANY time the key is switched on or to the acc position. My only thought was the chip in the key was bad so I tried my spare key that also has a chip and it was still on. Any other ideas on this one?
Old 12-17-2009, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The Security light on the Vehicle Anti Theft System (VATS) is in Start Default. If the light flashes the car will not start. The problem isn't the Key it's the reader inside the lock cylinder. A replacement from the dealer is usually around $300+. The cheap and easy way out is the VATS bypass, this tricks the BCM into thinking the correct key reisistence is there all the time.
http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html
http://shbox.com/1/vats_bypass.jpg
Old 12-17-2009, 06:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Low coolant light? Those sensors go bad all the time, the 01,02 cars didn't even have them. They are on the passenger side of the radiator below the cap, just unplug the sensor and it will go off. The Security light, like LS1W66 said comes on anytime the key is in/on the acc position and starting the car.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:15 PM
Teching In

Ok so the low coolant light should be easy to take care of. But the security light, I understand what you mean but if I bypass the VATS does that disable my whole alarm system? If so I will more than likely have to come up with the cash to replace it.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blackbird98
Ok so the low coolant light should be easy to take care of. But the security light, I understand what you mean but if I bypass the VATS does that disable my whole alarm system? If so I will more than likely have to come up with the cash to replace it.
This is where people tend to get confused. the Keyless entry and Alarm are a seperate system from the VATS. Bypassing the VATS does not effect the Alarm it only bypasses the Passkey system, I know because I've done the VATS Bypass on my own car.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:22 PM
Teching In

so will the keyless entry still work?
Old 12-19-2009, 09:25 PM
Teching In

scratch that last question...sorry i am a bit on the slow side. but what is effected when the VATS is bypassed?
Old 12-19-2009, 10:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

As I understand it all the VATS system does is disable the engine if the correct key is not used to start the car. It has nothing to do with the keyless entry or alarm. Once bypassed, the only change would be you could then start the car without the correct resistor ignition key.

Someone chime in if that's in error.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Saturn5
As I understand it all the VATS system does is disable the engine if the correct key is not used to start the car. It has nothing to do with the keyless entry or alarm. Once bypassed, the only change would be you could then start the car without the correct resistor ignition key.

Someone chime in if that's in error.
Yes that is correct
Old 12-20-2009, 11:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Just to verify - these links specifically state they're for up to 1997 model years. Is it the same on '98-02 models?
Old 12-20-2009, 07:06 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the help guys! Now if you could just find time in my schedule for me to do that I would appreciate it!! (not possible til xmas day)
Old 12-20-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Saturn5
Just to verify - these links specifically state they're for up to 1997 model years. Is it the same on '98-02 models?
yes, If you're interested in a detailed write up of the Bypass looke here. http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61262
Old 12-21-2009, 01:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bypassing the VATS will not turn the SEC light off. If you read what he said, the light stays on (it doesnt flash.) The VATS is working or the car wouldnt crank. I dont know what the answer is...it could be a few things but thats not the cure.

It sounds shitty but my 02 Hawk did the same thing...I tried and tried to fix it and couldnt. Finaly I just pulled the gauge and put a piece of black tape between the guage overlay and the bulb so the light wouldnt show through. I (nor the current owner) ever had a problem with it.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
Bypassing the VATS will not turn the SEC light off. If you read what he said, the light stays on (it doesnt flash.) The VATS is working or the car wouldnt crank. I dont know what the answer is...it could be a few things but thats not the cure.

It sounds shitty but my 02 Hawk did the same thing...I tried and tried to fix it and couldnt. Finaly I just pulled the gauge and put a piece of black tape between the guage overlay and the bulb so the light wouldnt show through. I (nor the current owner) ever had a problem with it.
I understand what your talking about (that the Security light remains on while the key is in the run position). My car did this for several years and seldom had any issues. The system seems to have two modes a pass/fail which would be normal operation, and a Start default which lets the car start (leaves light on) even though there is a problem. Eventually the system will revert back to it's pass/fail mode and the car will become a paper weight (happened to me). If the Bypass is done correctly the security light will only come on at start up and then go off like all the other lights.

Quick Reply: low fluid and security lights