Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Project V6 Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 02:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, this is a great thread. It sounds surprisingly good in the videos. Keep it up man.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by westxwitesnake05
Wow, this is a great thread. It sounds surprisingly good in the videos. Keep it up man.
Thanks! New cam will be even more outlandish and will get some good quality video.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:24 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome thread, will be looking forward to updates.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

It's home! Now to make time to reinstall it and all the other fun parts.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:27 PM
Launching!

Old 07-15-2015, 01:43 AM
TECH Resident

One more piece of the puzzle just arrived today!

Just waiting on some parts that were lagging on my watts link and plan to assemble the rear end at the end of this week.

I've searched around for different collectors that would meet what I was looking for to work with my upcoming changes to my exhaust setup. I found a guy on ebay that cut me a reasonable deal on a set of 3-1 merge collectors that had a venturi extension to try and keep velocity up. These were done by Mike Davis in California and knew exactly what I wanted from giving him some specs and a basic explanation.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:21 AM
TECH Resident

Little more time today, was mostly making things clean by making other things dirty. Cleaned up years of grime baked into the power steering rack as well as installed a few "upgrades."

First on the list is a set of boxed swaybar brackets by Blainefab. These help take care of deflection and bent brackets caused by big swaybars and sticky tires + high g cornering.

Second is a small piece, but it is a solid bushing for the steering rack. This is actually for Corvettes from Doug Rippie, but it fits our rack as well. This eliminates some slop from the rack, but in all likelihood it is a placebo effect until I get some hoosier slicks on the car.

Hope to get the trans mated to the engine tomorrow and get it all ready to go back in the car if I'm lucky.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:31 AM
TECH Resident

Second full day of going at it. Had to run some errands here and there, did some more cleanup and wrestled the engine around for a little while. The cardboard came in handy since I could just slide the engine/k-member off the hoist and onto the heavy duty dolly. Hey, if it's stupid and it works, it isn't stupid.

Pretty good shot of the Mal-Wood adapter plate. This allows me to use a full T-56 and LSx bellhousing and just bolt it directly to the engine block.

Ram Clutches throwout bearing spacer (Necessary to compensate for adapter plate and difference in height of the T-5 clutch/flywheel vs. T-56 stuff), OEM slave and Tick remote bleeder.

All installed.

Closer.

Testing things out to see if the engine and trans would roll under the car without touching anything. Makes it easy since the intake plenum isn't installed. 6-ton stands, really nice investment and a lot more room for me to move around under the car without feeling friggin claustrophobic!

Just waiting on UPS/Fedex/USPS to drag race down my block to bring me the last of my gaskets and other parts...

Last edited by WarShrike; 08-13-2015 at 01:46 AM.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:22 PM
Launching!

Wow awesome stuff right there!
Old 08-13-2015, 10:54 PM
FormerVendor

Killer build! I've got a lot of respect for the old 3800; it's a stout and underappreciated engine. Great work, sir.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Centerforce
Killer build! I've got a lot of respect for the old 3800; it's a stout and underappreciated engine. Great work, sir.
Hey thanks! I love yall's dual friction clutch, just right for this build and handles auto-x duty quite well!
Old 08-18-2015, 07:40 AM
TECH Resident

Kind of a "meh" day of trying to find bolts that were supposed to be in one spot but after a year later, they...migrated. Oh well, found them and got things moving along.
Really like the eye for detail that the guys at Total Engine Service have for their engine assembly. It's those little things that tend to make me happy.

"In the beginning, there were no accessories. And then a lot of terse words were spoken..."

New water pump and an underdrive WP pulley from ZZP.

Mmm, all sealed up.

Notice the NPT plug? This prevents unfiltered oil from going through the bypass and washing the mains. Spun bearings are one of the lead causes of 3800 engine death. This helps fight it along with good filter and oil selection.

Accessorized!

More tomorrow.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I must be missing something why do you have the oil passages sealed up with white stuff?
Old 08-18-2015, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I must be missing something why do you have the oil passages sealed up with white stuff?
Assembly grease, usually you pack the oil pump and housing all the way to the filter to try and decrease the amount of time you have to crank the car to prime the oil pump as it is more a viscous material offering better vacuum than you would with just air.

Less time cranking dry == less potential damage to bearings.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ah got it, makes sense. I thought it was silicone for a moment but also figured that was a stupid thought. I'm just dumb and inexperienced, never had an engine apart before. Done work in transmission valve bodies, rebuilt major parts of my suspension, but never done much to an engine other than swap spark plugs, a thermostat, and an alternator!
Old 08-18-2015, 09:41 PM
14 Second Truck Club

This is awesome. Gonna have to drag my cousins 96 v6 bird out of storage and start messing with it again lol.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

The brown truck stopped by today!

UMI Performance Inc. boxed A-Arms. This is pretty much the last part of the suspension puzzle for the car. Just got really busy with other things today and things are competing for my time when I really wanted a clean and open schedule to finish...this...car!

I actually remember asking about boxed A-arms like the LG Motorsports ones a few years back and Ryan from UMI piped up that they actually had prototypes in the works. So, a few years later I finally get around to buying them, better late than never!

Really clean design, looking forward to putting this through the paces soon enough:
Old 08-23-2015, 12:39 AM
TECH Resident

For the first time since August of last year, there's an engine in the car.

Exhausted and have a few mixed feelings since it has taken so long to get to this point. Still have to reconnect and reinstall a whole lot of parts.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:24 AM
Launching!

Wow just look at that, awesome job.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:17 PM
Launching!

After seeing your thread float up to the top a few times, I finally buckled down and read through the whole thing. Really awesome built that anyone could be proud of.

You're a special kind of crazy, and I respect that.

Quick Reply: Project V6 Firebird