Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

what did you do to your firebird today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 05:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone else have the problem of fixing an issue on their car just to find something else wrong? Did the rear sway bar bushings and endlinks to see I need to replace my rear pinion seal. Replaced the junk clamps on my header to Y pipe connection to see what appears to be an oil leak from the top of the motor/back of the manifold. To make things better my driver side head lamps were not working wiggle the wire and they work. Time to hunt down the ground for the driver side head lamps. This is quickly becoming a love hate relationship between me and my formula.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99z28monster
Does anyone else have the problem of fixing an issue on their car just to find something else wrong? Did the rear sway bar bushings and endlinks to see I need to replace my rear pinion seal. Replaced the junk clamps on my header to Y pipe connection to see what appears to be an oil leak from the top of the motor/back of the manifold. To make things better my driver side head lamps were not working wiggle the wire and they work. Time to hunt down the ground for the driver side head lamps. This is quickly becoming a love hate relationship between me and my formula.
believe that ground is the one under the airbox/upper radiator holder.

me I've got a list of things needing done (and most have needed it for a while, just trying to pull what life I can out of the parts)

1. A/C is losing refrigerant from where the lines connect on the back of the compressor, but the compressor is so noisy when it's running I don't want to fix a leak to just have to replace the compressor in a few months or whenever it finally goes.
2. Trans will need rebuilt soon, drives fine most of the time, but has trouble if I back down my driveway and then try to go forward and a few other little quirks.
3. front suspension is stock at 209k miles on the body, so enough said there.

but I'm beginning to hack away at things, I have all the parts to completely rebuild the front suspension, I have the money set aside to rebuild the trans when that day comes and the A/C i'm not to concerned with right now but I may address it depending on where finances land after the wiring upgrades to support the new amps and the BLS v2 upgrade is finished (to solve an issue with the stock headlight pigtail)

just remember in the long run it's cheaper "cost to own" then going out and buy a NEW (2014 or 2015) car.

Last edited by Daniel Richards; 06-08-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:42 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Does anyone else have the problem of fixing an issue on their car just to find something else wrong?
When working on most older cars, there's always something else that needs fixing. Add in some mileage.....
Old 06-08-2014, 10:33 PM
Banned

Dude my car is a never ending money pit something is always wrong with it
Old 06-09-2014, 05:47 PM
TECH Resident

Glad to see I am not the only one out there. At least it gives me something to do and it makes the car that much better each time I replace something.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:18 PM
Tire Smoking Tranny Blowing Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dropped my car off today to get tuned. Installed h/c/I and procharger
Old 06-12-2014, 05:20 PM
o2k
Staging Lane

doing new pads and rotors..
Old 06-12-2014, 05:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Cool28
Dropped my car off today to get tuned. Installed h/c/I and procharger
Nice. It'll be a whole new car.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:47 PM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Several small things since last weekend - changed plugs, flushed cooling system, new front O2 sensors, new brake & clutch fluid, and a nice wash & shine.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:27 AM
TECH Resident

I was driving it to work this morning and less than a mile from my office I got a loud pop, the sound of metal tinkling down the road and a nice horrible grinding sound. Quickly pulled it off and started looking under the car expecting some broken suspension or rear end pieces. Instead I found that some freaking how all five of the studs on my rear driver's wheel had sheared off leaving the rotor riding on the inner rim of the wheel. So I have it towed to a the local Midas a couple miles from my office since I really needed a quick fix and got reamed for $200 for the replacement studs and nuts. Wheel has dings and scratches but otherwise still works fine.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:47 AM
TECH Addict

^^^^^^^^^^^ Count yourself one lucky bastard the wheel didn't fly clean off the car, could of been a lot worse.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:17 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Decadence75
all five of the studs on my rear driver's wheel had sheared off
How do these things happen?

Yes, very lucky, this usually results in much more damage.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:48 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
^^^^^^^^^^^ Count yourself one lucky bastard the wheel didn't fly clean off the car, could of been a lot worse.
Originally Posted by Paul Bell
How do these things happen?

Yes, very lucky, this usually results in much more damage.
I haven't a clue what actually went down to cause this. I am just glad I was moving slow enough to get it over without issue. I was going 75 down the interstate not more than 5 minutes before in traffics where it could have cause all kind of havoc. I'm glad that I wasn't the potential cause of other's harm.

While waiting the 2 freaking hours for my insurance wrecker to arrive me and the officer bantered a bit and the best theory we could come up with is that some kids got into my garage without me noticing and thought it funny to loosen some of my lugs. Possibly the same kids I yelled at a couple months ago for trying to break my shop lock with a hammer.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:11 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

As you said the studs were sheared off, them kids didn't do it.

Probably was way over torqued wheel lugnuts and the heat made things tighter then they let go.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Were they stock lugs?
Old 06-13-2014, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

I would say wrong pitch on the lug nuts. Back in my honda 4-lug days I had a "pop" like that and by the time I got pulled over I had 1 lug nut holding the wheel on the other 3 studs wear sheared off (those rims had a cover over the center of the wheel so I was able to recover the broken parts), it happened another time on the same wheel some time later (this time just shearing 2) and so I ended up changing the lug nuts and it stopped happening, the other possibility is the whole 5x120 vs. 5x120.65 argument depending on whether or not your wheels are the proper 5x120.65 or not.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
As you said the studs were sheared off, them kids didn't do it.

Probably was way over torqued wheel lugnuts and the heat made things tighter then they let go.
I doubt that since I hand torque all the lugs myself. The theory is they snuck into the garage, loosened them enough and once they vibrated off enough it started snaping studs. I dunno.

Originally Posted by _JB_
Were they stock lugs?
Stock studs aftermarket nuts.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

To make things better my driver side head lamps were not working wiggle the wire and they work. Time to hunt down the ground for the driver side head lamps.
I had that problem and it was the actual connector right at the headlight. Water got in it.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I got to go see it for the first time in quite a few years. It kind of got back burnered due to various reasons and since it's about 30 miles away it's not that easy to get to. On the way to see it I picked up a few things and ordered a red top Optima from Amazon as it was significantly cheaper than anywhere else. It was good to see it. One thing about the LS motor is it is way lighter than the old 350 that was in there so the front is sitting quite high. I think it needs about 2" just to level it and maybe four to give it a nice rake.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:26 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Decadence75
I doubt that since I hand torque all the lugs myself.
I gotcha.

I've driven on loose lugnuts. Usually, the wheel makes a racket as it slides on the studs and there's a serious vibration.

And if the nuts came off, I don't see how the studs all got sheared.

Regardless, I'm glad you weren't at speed and there was no injury or car damage.

Quick Reply: what did you do to your firebird today?