Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

fresh bone stock trans am need ideas

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 07:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fresh bone stock trans am need ideas

Well I have a 2002 trans am bone stock with an auto, and im wondering what are some good cheap mods to start with. i want to start with good bang for the buck mods. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:58 PM
Banned

Look up the free ls1 mods, and put a stall converter in it pronto
Old 09-26-2011, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first mod would be a ptc converter, somewhere in the 3600 range depending on future mods.
550 shipped with a cooler. There is no other mod besides a power adder that will net the same performance gains, period.

Otherwise...
Lid 60-100$
Free mods
Ported tb 40-100$
Catback 100-500$

List goes on..
Old 09-26-2011, 09:58 PM
12 Second Club

How does a stall effect the daily drivability?
Old 09-26-2011, 10:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Search YouTube for ls1 converter 3600 to see how they act.
I love a loose converter personally.

City mpg will drop around 2 maybe 3. Highway will be exactly the same. Once you hit 40-45mph it will drive exactly like stock.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:46 PM
12 Second Club

So what's up with this egr mod? And anyone know how to remove it?
Old 09-27-2011, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by exodus_gs1
So what's up with this egr mod? And anyone know how to remove it?
You do not have an egr, 01 02 T/A's came with the ls6 intake which does not have the egr. First a questions, what do YOU want out of it, how much are you willing to drain your bank account, and how much work can you do on your own?
1. free mods
2.lid+ported T/B
3.cat back
4.suspension...LCA relocation brackets to start
5.Stall+headers+tune
Old 09-27-2011, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mark my words, keep it stock.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by theskitztikwon
You do not have an egr, 01 02 T/A's came with the ls6 intake which does not have the egr. First a questions, what do YOU want out of it, how much are you willing to drain your bank account, and how much work can you do on your own?
1. free mods
2.lid+ported T/B
3.cat back
4.suspension...LCA relocation brackets to start
5.Stall+headers+tune
I have egrcause when I bought it was showing that code, but the dealership is taking care of that and a few other things while im out of town for work. Then as for where I wanna go... Well its my dd so not to crazy right now maybe into the low 12's night 11's. I have a baby coming so nothing to extreme for awhile. My wife really wants exhaust and a shift kit. Plus when I get home im g gunna start on the free mods. How do I know what intake I have? Cause mine has egr I have seen it. And I have a ram air lid already what benefits would I get with one closed on top?
Old 09-28-2011, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jersey Mike
Mark my words, keep it stock.
Listen to this man!
Old 09-28-2011, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have egrcause when I bought it was showing that code, but the dealership is taking care of that and a few other things while im out of town for work. Then as for where I wanna go... Well its my dd so not to crazy right now maybe into the low 12's night 11's. I have a baby coming so nothing to extreme for awhile. My wife really wants exhaust and a shift kit. Plus when I get home im g gunna start on the free mods. How do I know what intake I have? Cause mine has egr I have seen it. And I have a ram air lid already what benefits would I get with one closed on top?
Is it an slp? you can check the #'s on the side of the intake to make sure its an ls6 intake. a tune with give you a harder shift and you can reach your goals with my list if you use a 3600+ stall. The lid will net you around 10hp.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by theskitztikwon
Is it an slp? you can check the #'s on the side of the intake to make sure its an ls6 intake. a tune with give you a harder shift and you can reach your goals with my list if you use a 3600+ stall. The lid will net you around 10hp.
ok ill look when I get back in town. But im almost positive it has egr on it. But ok thanks for the list is there any brands I should stay away from? Also why should I keep it stock?
Old 09-29-2011, 06:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Also why should I keep it stock?
LOTB: Last of the Breed, these will never be made again and one day worth lots of money. Stock always brings the most. Modding also makes for more problems when things go wrong and also a little more often, once you start changing one thing there's another to change to keep the car from breaking and performing as should. Gets expensive quicker than we all think.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:36 PM
12 Second Club

yea i guess thats true... but I know all about the price tag and things going wrong. I had an 03 srt4 neon that I got to around 400hp and after all the cash I put in it wasnt enough. it then shortly later took a crap on me sold her and a few years later and some unwanted cars im back. So I know how it is... im not going to extreme with this car anyways its my DD so need to keep her level headed.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Local dealer had a very nice used Ta that someone put a Loose convertor in. I drove it and honestly it SUCKED unless you were WOT.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by O2Form
Local dealer had a very nice used Ta that someone put a Loose convertor in. I drove it and honestly it SUCKED unless you were WOT.
O ok, how is from a normal launch. I have heard that sometimes it wont leave the line until set mark is reached. and if im sitting in traffic I dont wanna power stall at 3600 lol. But I HAVE NO IDEA about stalls so any info is always helpful I am still a noob with autos and T/A's.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JrodCamaro
LOTB: Last of the Breed, these will never be made again and one day worth lots of money. Stock always brings the most. Modding also makes for more problems when things go wrong and also a little more often, once you start changing one thing there's another to change to keep the car from breaking and performing as should. Gets expensive quicker than we all think.

Well you keep your car stock because it will be worth like 587498575894 monies... I'll mod the **** out of mine and enjoy it.
BTW, he was not saying keep it stock for that reason. It turns into a money pit.

Originally Posted by O2Form
That is your opinion.. I won't have anything under a 4000 personally, even in a DD.

O ok, how is from a normal launch. I have heard that sometimes it wont leave the line until set mark is reached. and if im sitting in traffic I dont wanna power stall at 3600 lol. But I HAVE NO IDEA about stalls so any info is always helpful I am still a noob with autos and T/A's.
I told you to go to YouTube.com... Did you not do it?

These are not like old school... A 4400 converter at 2500Rpms will have you moving pretty good (keeping up/pulling on traffic from a red light), 3500 Rpms and you would be accelerating rather quickly, 1800-2000 and you are just cruising around.

Go to YouTube.com like I told you already. It will at least show you how a converter acts under different types of driving.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lemons12

Well you keep your car stock because it will be worth like 587498575894 monies... I'll mod the **** out of mine and enjoy it.
BTW, he was not saying keep it stock for that reason. It turns into a money pit.
Yup, Ashley pretty much hit the nail on the head here. ^

If it's your DD, I wouldn't start modifying it. After a while, it becomes more of an inconvenience & you can really ruin the ride by messing up the geometry of the suspension, the street manors of the motor/trans, and just in general make for more general annoyances more than anything.

Don't get me wrong, my car is far from stock. But I've had to use it for a DD for a while & it gets old. I'm glad I have a second car to use now though and can drive the TA when I feel like taking it out.

If you do mod, though, just don't take Lemons12's advice. Ashley doesn't know what he's talking about. His username is a reference to the 12 cars he's made "lemons" out of. ...That, and how many he can fit in his mouth. But that's another story for another time.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:13 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the dealer wasn't too happy about how it drove either, they ended up giving it away. It was super clean and low mileage but it drove like *** unless you stomped on the pedal ALL DEE TIME. The saleman even told me the story on it, young guy had a convertor put in it then TRADED it in on another fbody....what does that tell you. I drove it for about 30 miles and honestly it was just anoying, anything below 40mph the engine was racing and you had to stomp on the pedal to get going, After about 45 it drove normal. I was honestly interested in the car. The saleman was willing to give me unbelieveable deal on it. After checking it over closely the car was perfect except for the trans. I just didn't feel comfortable that the convertor was just put in and the car was traded in. The dealer was NOT offering any type of warranty either. They told since it was modded they couldn't.

Try to drive someone elses car before you spend alot of money on something you may not like ALOT. I can't imagine the poor fuel mileage it woooood get with the engine revved up all the time plus the wear and tear on EVERYTHING else from that.

When I 1st drove it the salesman didn't tell me it had a higher stall in it and I thought the parking brake was stuck on. Saleman told me to push hard on the gas and then it moved ok. Now if the car had a cam and a few other mods it might be cool etc but NOWAY you could daily drive it. Best way to describe it is like king kong is holding the car off the ground and you keep pushing on the gas and he lets go. Its odd.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:00 PM
12 Second Club

My bad... I forgot about you saying that. I was out of town of town and by the time I got back home i had forgotten it. well I will take a look and see whats up. but just a question about how it works... with a 3600 stall means you can stall it at 3600 rpms correct? also if there is a thread that explains it more so i dont have to keep asking noob questions.

Quick Reply: fresh bone stock trans am need ideas