Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Mod Plan

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 10:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mod Plan

Heya everyone. I picked up a stock 2000 TA several months ago and now that I've gotten most of the small issues dealt with and it's running decently again, I thought I would come up with a long term plan for the mods. I wanted to get some input and opinions as for the path and parts I've chosen for it. I plan to do the upgrades in batches, probably one large batch a summer with smaller independent upgrades scattered throughout as money allows.

For the first phase I was thinking exhaust - DONE
TSP 1 7/8 LT, ORY and rumbler
Corsa Clone tips from 6LE
MSD 8.5mm wires
NGK TR55-IX plugs
Delete AIR
Delete EGR

For Phase 2 - Induction
LS6 intake manifold
New lid
Smooth bellows

For Phase 3 - Suspension in prep for the next phase
3 point SFC
Tower brace
Torque arm
Sway bars
Lower control arms
Panhard replacement

Phase 4 - Cam/Heads
TR230/224 .575/.563 111lsa cam
Patriot CNC Ported 243 LS6 64cc 2.02/1.57 heads with patriot gold springs and titanium retainers
LS7 lifters
Chromoly 7.4 rods
New timing chain - maybe new gears
Ported LS6 Oil pump
Yank PT 4000 converter
FAST LSXR 102 manifold
Solid MM - Decided to go with Prothanes instead of the solids
Custom tune

Other things that I want to work in whenever I get the time or some spare money:
Some nice wheels, probably upgrade to 17x9.5 front and 17x11 on rear
Spring and shock replacement, will end up lowered about an inch I suspect
Raptor hood and ram air
Port the TB, EGR Mod and TB coolant bypass

Any advice or comments are appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by Decadence75; 04-25-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:53 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't forget safety items such as brakes, rollbar, etc.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Don't forget safety items such as brakes, rollbar, etc.
Not sure how I forgot to add that to the list. I was planning on one of the Baer 6 piston systems. I also forgot to add that ad some point I want to do some rear end work. Maybe go to 3.73 gears. Don't want to do a complete swap if I don't have too. I know it's hit or miss with the stock 10 bolt but the car is an A4 and have seen where folks seem to have better luck with the rear holding up better than with the M6 due to not having all the hard launches from clutch dumps.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I gather the SLP CAI and smooth belows won't really do anything.

For a CAI, you're prob better off getting a lid and a Super Sucker Ram Air (SSRA).

I'd also run a stock paper filter, or if I wanted reuseable, I'd go with Amsoil. K&N just has a good marketing dept, they don't do much other than oil your maf (if you over oil)and let more crap in your motor when they're new.

Amsoil will filter better, and doesn't use oil.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
From what I gather the SLP CAI and smooth belows won't really do anything.

For a CAI, you're prob better off getting a lid and a Super Sucker Ram Air (SSRA).

I'd also run a stock paper filter, or if I wanted reuseable, I'd go with Amsoil. K&N just has a good marketing dept, they don't do much other than oil your maf (if you over oil)and let more crap in your motor when they're new.

Amsoil will filter better, and doesn't use oil.
The SSRA does look like a better kit over the SLP CAI. I had never heard of that one before, thanks for the tip on it. I had heard that the K&N was sometimes problematic on these cars which is why I hadn't made my mind up on it yet. I used them in other non-performance vehicles and had good results but what you say makes sense.

As for the bellows, the way I understand it is that the stock accordion style causes turbulence and that by having a smoother flow would increase the volume. Not by much mind you and there won't be any noticeable increase in power. However I do like the look of it over the stock.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:51 AM
On The Tree

When you do your suspension, I'd go ahead and upgrade the springs and shocks too.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Decadence75
The SSRA does look like a better kit over the SLP CAI. I had never heard of that one before, thanks for the tip on it.

As for the bellows .... However I do like the look of it over the stock.
No prob. I went with the SSRA's competitior, the Fast Toys Ram Air, and really didn't get any noticeable results with it. I bought it used, which was why I went with it overthe SSRA.

In retrospect, I think the scoop of the SSRA will make it a bit more functional than the FTRA.

And you hit the nail on the head with the bellows... I've never ran one myself, but from what I've been reading on this board for years is that it's mainly thought of as an appearance mod to clean up the look under the hood a bit.

And I see eventually you'll be going with as FAST setup, but I noticead a improvment in throttle response after porting the TB. It even felt like it pulled a bit harder off the line. It cost me 45 bucks to have it done by a guy on ebay (the one with chick with the nice rack in the ad) , and I'll say it was def money well spent.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
And I see eventually you'll be going with as FAST setup, but I noticead a improvment in throttle response after porting the TB. It even felt like it pulled a bit harder off the line. It cost me 45 bucks to have it done by a guy on ebay (the one with chick with the nice rack in the ad) , and I'll say it was def money well spent.
The FAST setup will only be after I do H/C in the last phase, so likely a couple years off at least. I probably will port the stock TB like you said in the mean time to give it a little more oomph. I am sure there are tons of little things I neglected to put on the list since that was more or less something I tossed together for what I wanted it to be in the end. Again I appreciate the suggestions. I am always open to advice and comments about the build
Old 02-22-2012, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah dont bother with a smooth bellow. waste of money
Old 03-08-2012, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

Some of the goodies arrived in the last couple of days.

AFX Wideband

Prothane motor & transmission mounts along with Corsa Clone tips. Figures that 6LE would start a sale just a few days after I make my order.

HP Tuners Pro

Now I just have to wait for TSP to get on the ball and ship my exhaust
Old 04-25-2012, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

Wrapped up the exhaust install today. Now I need to get reading Banish's books and fine tune this thing.

Quick Reply: Mod Plan