Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

small garage WS6 LS3 418 build

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default small garage WS6 LS3 418 build

Well I flew down to Texas two years ago and picked up this clean 00 WS6 with 96k miles on it 353rwhp 364tq. Bolts ons like LT's, Borla cat back and UD pulley. The drive back to Minnesota was fun until I got pulled over in Iowa.
[IMG][/IMG]
A noisy 10 bolt and LS7 clutch failure later I purchased a set of mint C6 wheels
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
So how it all started I was on one last cruise last fall beatin on the car pegged out in fifth gear and shifted to sixth and the clutch pedal stayed to the floor, the master cylinder had took a ****. So not wanting to leave it to get stolen and some hack tow truck driver messing my **** up I decided to put it it first, start it up and syncro match gears all the way home. It wasn't fun driving that way and made me pissed off but oh well, the only bad thing was when I hit the very few stop lights and had to shut it off and start it in first. Oh forgot to mention that my 2nd 10 bolt with 4.10 gears was making noise to (junk never get one again). So made it home and jacked up the car, found leaks from rear pinion seal, trans input shaft seal (probably got fatigued when chattering) and a t-stat leak. So pulled the rear end and sold it, removed exhaust and transmission and found the clutch spring popped out and the pilot bearing completely gone.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
With easy access to engine decided to pull it and do a H/C and reseal job until my buddy helping me said he had a slightly used LS3 block, 4" Callies crank, and 6.125 Callies compstar rods for a price and horsepower increase I could not pass up.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Sold the LS1 for $700 and kept the valve covers, oil pan/windage tray, pick up tube and knock sensors. Bought the block, crank and rods.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Purchased some Bullet pistons 4.080 bore with -2.7cc valve relief
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Purchased SDPC LS3 CNC ported heads, 70cc, Manley valves and .660 lift
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Also have LS3 intake/fuel rail, 60lb injectors, 90mm TB, LS3 rockers w/trunion upgrade. Suspension/ brakes- BMR adjustable lower control arms, already had UMI torque arm, Brakemotive front/rear drilled/slotted rotors and pads, tubular race k member and a nice used set of Koni/Strano suspension.
[IMG][/IMG]
For the rear end I picked up an F-body Currie 9" with 3.50 gears, 35 spline axles, LCA relocate welded in and spooled.
[IMG][/IMG]
Well I think that's it for now and I'm out of money but do hope to get this done in a couple months. Parts/stuff needed-Gaskets, head studs, covers/sensors, oil pump, timing chain set (any recommendations? double roller?), fuel pump setup and tune. Anyone guess what that's all gonna add up to lol? Engine is at shop and will have more pics soon!

Last edited by MertezWS6; 12-05-2013 at 09:16 PM. Reason: title change
Old 03-17-2013, 04:32 PM
TECH Regular

Looks like a fun build! A good friend has a garage about that size and we've modified/built probably close to 20 cars over the years in that little space...good times.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ill be following this its gonna be a good build.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:34 AM
Launching!

This is something I want to do next year to my car but Don't know if I'll be able to fund it, I'll be watching for progress. Good luck
Old 03-18-2013, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

Thanks peoples for the interest. Fryz71 I don't think I will do anymore work like this after this build lol had to get a storage unit for extra room for parts, gets cluttered quick but I had the thought process of do it once and do it right so while I'm in there just get it all done. So I got my k member back from the powder coater and boy does it look amazing, way better quality then the the original and compared to the control arms it looks like they were rattle canned in a dusty room lol. I wish they would do a couple more coats and take some more pride in the quality. When I bought the member used the powder coat was peeling and you would think it shouldn't peel being electrostatic on there but what ev. For $80 I had it sandblasted and powder coated the right way from a friend.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-18-2013, 05:41 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, nice job... that garage looks smaller than mine, so that gives me perspective on clearing mine out and getting my Formula parked in there.

Hope to see more pics of your build out
Old 03-18-2013, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
Wow, nice job... that garage looks smaller than mine, so that gives me perspective on clearing mine out and getting my Formula parked in there.

Hope to see more pics of your build out
Thanks lol. When I sold the LS1 we had to dolly it through the living room with not enough room around the car. I had a two car garage but just rented out my house and moved in to the girlfriends town home thinking when I first had my car that I would wait for my dream garage to start building/working on stuff but I can make do and the temptation of more power/performance was overwhelming. If I had a money tree a procharger would be on the list and shooting for 800hp would be awesome, maybe in the next couple of years. Just dropped off the T56 tonight to a buddy that has rebuilt them before and we should be tearing it apart next weekend to see if any damage had occurred.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:33 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Nice looking stuff you got going on there!!

One thing I don't understand-one of your engine pulling buddies is wearing pajamas??
Old 03-19-2013, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Nice looking stuff you got going on there!!

One thing I don't understand-one of your engine pulling buddies is wearing pajamas??
LOL well that is a bad pic and makes her look like a dude wearing my big sweats and Tabasco pajama pants but she was my hood holder while I disconnected the hood shocks for the inch of clearance I needed. The dude with the smile on his face is the one selling me his engine of course and my other bud was just a spectator, I did all the grunt work but needed help getting the beast out when the time came otherwise this is mostly a one man operation in this tight space.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:45 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

OH JEEZ, my bad, sorry!

I wish the women in my life would participate in my motorsports hobby.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
OH JEEZ, my bad, sorry!

I wish the women in my life would participate in my motorsports hobby.
Sorry if I made it worse but she washes the bike to

Parts I forgot to mention needed is Pat G cam already spec'd out but have not purchased, adjustable lower control arms for rear, adjustable pan hard bar, SJM line lock kit, Morel link bar lifters and I'm sure I'm forgetting the little things.

Last edited by MertezWS6; 12-05-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

So I brought the trans over to a friends house also a member Nobird8991 who rebuilds T-56's and is a very good guy who will take care of ya if your around MN. Well the guy I bought the trans from a year ago was right that it was rebuilt (kinda) all we seen that was a good upgrade was the 3-4 steel shift fork you see in pic. But I could tell by the silicone job that the guy who took this apart was not knowledgeable, they still had the nylon fork pads which is one of the reasons that I believe if your going in there do everything right the first time.
[IMG][/IMG]

In this pic you can see that my gear teeth the crown is worn and needs to be replaced leaving me with purchasing the whole gear which sucks. 4th gear is like this as well which means I need a new input shaft but oh well because the pilot bearing booger-ed it up anyway.
[IMG][/IMG]
So my parts list for my trans goes like this:
* 1/2 slider
* 2nd gear
* 3rd gear slider and going to price out third gear, doesn't look terrible could salvage
* Cone bearing
* Reverse gear
* Reverse slider, reverse sprag
* 5/6 slider
* 5th gear
* Blocker rings, brass fork pads*
* Input shaft/4th gear
Damn **** just got expensive again...but ya gotta do it right!
Old 03-27-2013, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

Also got the heavy ugly sub frame/control arms out, FOR SALE stock sub frame and suspension, not upper control arms though.
[IMG][/IMG]
Ordered the cam/7.4 chromoly pushrods, SJM line lock ABS delete and MGW shifter
Old 04-03-2013, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

Looking good man.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by f-body.cbct
Looking good man.
Thank you, a little update-took all the **** out of the garage and scrubbed engine bay, cleaned car and floor. A lot more stuff in garage then it looks and some of it is in storage
[IMG][/IMG]
And then a pic with the **** back in, my dog couldn't even get out lol. looks worse then it really is though.
[IMG][/IMG]
So theres more than that going on just no pics yet, I'm doing the dash pad repair now and will post when all done. Long process and a PITA. Also line lock came and need to put that in soon before other stuff goes back in to make it easier on me. Engine should be done soon to, trying to find cheaper tranny parts cause I'm not wanting to spend $1900 in parts when I can get another one for that.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

Man that looks roomy. Looks fun.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

Alright, got some pictures of the engine from Jakson at TPIS. Its looking real good and should be going together in a week or two. Waiting on Morel 5290 lifters, and Pat G EPS cam. Also other miscellaneous little things I have not figured out yet.[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-27-2013, 06:17 AM
Teching In

Great thread and write up, I'm in for the results...
Old 06-03-2013, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

Default Ball rolling again

Pat G spec'd cam Cam Motion
[IMG][/IMG]

Finally started working on the engine with Jakson, some of the parts not mentioned-
Morel 5290 link bar lifters
Melling 10295 oil pump
Cloyes billet timing set with C5R chain
ARP main studs, rod bolts and head studs
Comp trunion upgrade
LS9 head gaskets and Clevite bearings
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Just need to get the right size push rods, were thinking it will be 7.375 then I'm bringing it to its home
Old 09-01-2013, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

Alright, so I have been done with this car since August 12th and already have 600 miles on her. Runs and drives great. So I havent had computer access in a while but the motorcycle you see a couple pics above I had to sell which was a wasnt easy but it was either have no car for the rest of the summer or no bike. I can always get another bike. So the money did not last long. I went to WS6store website which is one of the easiest sites to navigate out of all the sites and there prices are always cheaper if not the same with free shipping! cant beat it. So I ordered-
UMI double adjustable chrome moly LCA's with poly/roto joint ends
UMI pan hard bar double adjustable chrome moly double rod end
TSP 1 7/8 headers. TSP 3" off road Y-pipe
Monster clutch level 3 with 12" flywheel
Racetronix hot wire kit
FTP 98mm air lid
2" anodized WS6 shift ****
BMR front upper and lower control arms, I would like to have stick with UMI but ordered BMR lower control arms a long time ago so whatever, still nice setup.
Ordered the F99 fuel pump from racetronix because it supports 600 hp which is perfect and I wanted to utilize the stock venturi system to keep the bucket full
[IMG][/IMG]
Installing the engine was the only thing I had help with just using the picker and getting the motor mount bolts lined up. Otherwise I did the rest by myself, K member, rear end, suspension, and transmission. I wanted to make sure everything was done right and I put my hand on every bolt so when I drove it I was confident, I guess I'm just **** too. Plus there is no room in that garage.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply: small garage WS6 LS3 418 build