Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Sad Day - My mechanic dropped my car from his lift

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ouch, ouch, ouch...Definitely looks repairable though and should be fine. I have seen vehicles fall of lifts and never totalled out...But that is definitely the sketchiest hoist I have seen and would have turned around seeing that shop, cheaper is not better. As long as you take it to a well known reputable body shop you will have no issues and the shop repairing it will have a warranty on their work if its good.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

sucks to have that happen , any pics of it , i checked that link it didnt work.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:44 AM
On The Tree

I think someone took it for a test drive....then parked it back on the lift.......mmmhhmmm
Old 04-03-2013, 07:52 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ill trade you my camaro?!
Old 04-03-2013, 10:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

doesn't look too bad to me... I was expecting a lot worse! The gaps between the panels don't look bad. That front bumper took a big hit but hopefully nothing is bent beyond repair... its not like it made a dukes of hazard jump across the river and taco'd the front end lol
Old 04-04-2013, 06:17 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I agree, it doesn't look that bad. I doubt if there's any engine damage or chassis twist. It looks like some minor body damage.

Any pics of the car hanging on the lift after it fell?
Old 04-04-2013, 10:00 AM
Teching In

No pictures right after it fell. My mechanic had it on the ground when I arrived.

The insurance claim agent came and inspected the car. It got put up on the lift to check the underside...

What I saw was the rear end was still apart because the mechanic was installing new bushings, shocks and springs. Give me your thoughts on how a fall would affect the rear end that isn't buttoned up and tight.
Here's one pick of the bent track bar...

I added pictures to the album:https://picasaweb.google.com/bowling...eat=directlink

Old 04-04-2013, 10:26 AM
Teching In

Look here how far back the rear wheels are in the wheel well. Is that simply the rear end being taken apart?
Look also that there are only a couple nuts holding the wheel on. Wouldn't that get bent to hell too?

Old 04-04-2013, 01:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the major damage looks to the PH bar, looking at the LCA's and ball joints everything looks like the suspension did its work. i dont think there is going to be anything wrong with the frame. main issue is going to be the body work. keep us posted bro, sorry to hear/see this makes me sick and makes me never want to get my car up on a lift now :/
Old 04-04-2013, 03:05 PM
10 Second Club

Might want to take a close look at the u joint. I don't know if you have a loop or not but from the picture it may have hit the ground. Doesn't look damaged just looks like its hanging low.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 666ws6
Agreed... The mechanical safety locks are what allow you to safety keep the car in the air, let alone work on it. Car should never drop.... Their fault entirely.
The pins that hold the arms on these lifts are often know to give way without notice. I have seen it happen before. Arm will start giving way and car will slide, tilt, or fall of the lift. Stuff happens. Insurance should take care of it, but still stinks it happened.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

IMO I think the ins co will total that and you get to go shopping, definitely fixable, but me personally I would move on, great documentation, from how you describe mechanic so far he seems straight, and ligit, let things take its course, if they don't total it and its close push harder
Old 04-04-2013, 04:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NC01TA
It sounds like your mechanic is being upfront with everything, especially getting you the rental. I believe it does help to have the same insurance company but unfortunately I see a 'totaled car' response. The hidden damage from this magnitude of a hit can never be fully known. The insurance company probably won't want to repair the car and be held liable later if something should go wrong.
Sorry for the misfortune.
Hire a third party inspector for $150 to protect you. He will let you know if it got frame damaged during the fall and fight for total or reduced value.

Insurance companies dirty little secret on what they don't want to pay.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Monzsta
Free standing post lifts suck ***. I used to use one where you could see the lift pads creeping inward and outward when you put a car up and down.

The best lifts have an overhead beam. The columns stay true and square no matter what you put on it.

Sorry for your loss. The car is a bit beat up, but not as bad as you're fearing. I'd have no problems getting that fixed and enjoying many miles in a modern classic.
The cross bar isn't structural at all, it's just holding the lines from side to side to keep them off the floor. There's no difference in clear-floor models or models with the lines across the floor and no cross-bar as far as ""sucking ***" or being the "best models"
Old 04-04-2013, 04:58 PM

Does not look to bad...but I would be looking for a compensation if I were you...
Old 04-04-2013, 05:15 PM
Staging Lane

All i see is minor issues that can be fixed. I dont understand why you want a car that can easily be fixed to be totaled when odds are good once its fixed it will be in better condition then when you dropped it off as long as you play your cards right.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Looks like a hornets nest of trouble to me. I'd push to get another car.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kciaccio
Hire a third party inspector for $150 to protect you. He will let you know if it got frame damaged during the fall and fight for total or reduced value. Insurance companies dirty little secret on what they don't want to pay.
Any suggestions on 'third parties'?? I love this idea.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:05 PM
Launching!

They will total it.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Footlead
They will total it.
From your keyboard to AmFam's ears!

Quick Reply: Sad Day - My mechanic dropped my car from his lift