Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Sad Day - My mechanic dropped my car from his lift

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bowlingbrad
Ok... The insurance guy said he visited the body shop and had it up on a 'good' lift. Funny, but sad.
It looks like it will be totaled. He said there was a TON of under body shifting. The tank was shifted way out of whack, the rear suspension too.
I gave him what I paid for my current car in the hopes that they just cut me a check.
I have recent knowledge of this from roughly 7 months ago when I purchased a 2K FRC and had it totaled later that day. Here is what I learned:
Now, my questions are:
1. I have a lot of stuff on that car that I paid for recently. I will need to get them off. New shocks and springs all around, new bushings, new alternator, new backup cameras with rear view mirror, ipod kit. Will they be willing to cover the cost of removal or will I need to pay them? Will they let me come by with my tools and wrench it off myself? In my claim, before they paid the claim, I could take off anything as long as I replaced it with working OE parts. after they paid the claim, I could either buy it back and part out what I wanted, or let them take it. Option 2 meant, they owned the car, and I couldn't take anything off it. after the claim paid.
2. What happens with my current auto loan? I am assuming I need to pay them off in full to get the title to the insurance company to have them junk the title. As long as you're not upside down, the loan will be paid off by the insurance company.
3. What if I don't get a fair value for the car? Am I just screwed or do I need to contact a lawyer? I'd bet you get fair market value. That said YOU DON'T ACCEPT THE CLAIM UNTIL THE OFFER IS ACCEPTABLE PERIOD.

This is strange to say, but I'm assuming that you guys have gone through something like this and would have tremendous suggestions.

My last question:
4. Anyone know of any black-on-black, low mileage, 2001-2002 WS6's for sale?

Dazed and confused,
Brad
Just what I learned from a different , but equally horrifying experience.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:40 PM
Launching!

Ok... The insurance guy said he visited the body shop and had it up on a 'good' lift. Funny, but sad.
It looks like it will be totaled. He said there was a TON of under body shifting. The tank was shifted way out of whack, the rear suspension too.
I gave him what I paid for my current car in the hopes that they just cut me a check.

Now, my questions are:
1. I have a lot of stuff on that car that I paid for recently. I will need to get them off. New shocks and springs all around, new bushings, new alternator, new backup cameras with rear view mirror, ipod kit. Will they be willing to cover the cost of removal or will I need to pay them? Will they let me come by with my tools and wrench it off myself?
2. What happens with my current auto loan? I am assuming I need to pay them off in full to get the title to the insurance company to have them junk the title.
3. What if I don't get a fair value for the car? Am I just screwed or do I need to contact a lawyer?

This is strange to say, but I'm assuming that you guys have gone through something like this and would have tremendous suggestions.

My last question:
4. Anyone know of any black-on-black, low mileage, 2001-2002 WS6's for sale?

Dazed and confused,
Brad
This is the only one we have in stock right now.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pontiac-Firebird-WE-FINANCE-2002-PONTIAC-FIREBIRD-TRANS-AM-WS6-CONVERTIBLE-AUTO-21K-TEXAS-DIRECT-/370799231073?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item56555b4061#ht_24527wt_1165
Old 04-30-2013, 03:06 AM
Teching In

If you just bought a bunch of new parts for it, and you still have receipts for them, I think you can give copies to the insurance company and they will add it in towards the value of the car. That's what happened to me with a previous totaled vehicle.

Also, you should be able to take any aftermarket parts off as long as you replace them with OE parts. (Sometimes you can get away with removing them and leaving the gap, or replacing them with other pieces that arent even OE. Its not the "right" thing to do, but I did it with a previous vehicle, and they never said anything. When I ended up giving them the car, it had a junkyard engine from a totally different car in it, and it was just sitting on the frame. They gave me value based on it being a complete car. Theres no way I was giving them my fully built motor for the low amount they wanted to pay for the total loss.)
Old 05-07-2013, 11:15 PM
Teching In

Well, good news.

I was patient, firm and clear with my requests and American Family came through. They are paying me what I asked for (minus shipping and inspection of an out-of-state car). They are honoring all of my receipts. I cannot be more pleased.

Unfortunately, I think I may sway towards a new Camaro and save some $$ for a z-ta kit in the future when the warranty is up.

I can't thank all of you enough for your insight and encouragement. It was a different experience, that's for sure. I'll keep you posted once I get a replacement.

Brad
Old 05-10-2013, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

I have a 18k mile 02 WS6 for sale...: )
Old 05-11-2013, 08:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear it worked out. Also glad to hear that AmFam pulled through (my insurance company.) Good luck with the new Camaro and potential Z/TA.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, good news.

for a z-ta kit in the future when the warranty is up.

Brad

Damn....5g's. I'd put that toward a procharger or turbo kit.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:23 AM
Teching In

Well

After the "REAL" negotiations with my wife, we decided to get a sedan for a couple years and then look at getting a more vintage firebird at that time.

2013 Kia Optima EX is a pretty nice sedan for the price. It's not a Firebird, but happy wife = happy life!
Old 05-13-2013, 02:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well

After the "REAL" negotiations with my wife, we decided to get a sedan for a couple years and then look at getting a more vintage firebird at that time.

2013 Kia Optima EX is a pretty nice sedan for the price. It's not a Firebird, but happy wife = happy life!

Those new optima's are pretty sweet, on our list as well for her next car, always been a GM but after are current 06GP is due for replacement if GM doesn't do something better in the sedan market we will be buying a optima or sonata
Old 05-13-2013, 10:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll trade the wife before my bird and she knows it. That friends is the sound of another bro down. Taps playing in the background!!
Old 05-14-2013, 11:30 AM
Teching In

oh, don't worry..... I'll be back!
Old 05-14-2013, 11:43 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
I'll trade the wife before my bird and she knows it. That friends is the sound of another bro down. Taps playing in the background!!
This. Don't take this the wrong way, but chances are your days of having a "cool" car are done. I've seen it a thousand times, and it all started with "well the wife thought..."
Old 05-14-2013, 12:12 PM
Launching!

Kia? A Kia? Really?

Originally Posted by Coppertone
This. Don't take this the wrong way, but chances are your days of having a "cool" car are done. I've seen it a thousand times, and it all started with "well the wife thought..."
Truer words have never been spoken.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry for the loss...I worry about my car falling off every time it is on a lift and we are pushing and pulling on parts, watching the darn thing move scares the hell out of me!

I traded in my '97 Z28 for a "family" car, was car of the year! 2001.5 VW Passat. What a disaster, after 75,000 babied miles and end of warranty the darn engine started to come apart and cost me $1000 per month for a while. My wife still dogs me about that 'decision'. I guess the moral of the story is, Kia don't sound so bad, I tested a Sorento for a daily driver, really liked it but wasn't cheap!
Old 05-15-2013, 06:43 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

On a few business trips to Florida recently, I rented a VW and a Hyundai.

I HATED the VW. The brake & gas pedals were literally on top of each other, I couldn't figure out some controls and it was underpowered. Steering wheel blocked the speedo.

I LOVED the Hyundai. Easy to understand layout, powerful and tight, it handled great.

I also drove a Mazda 3 once, total POS. I didn't even feel safe in it.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

aw man now this sux. hope you get it all sorted out
Old 05-23-2013, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Well

OMG. OMG. OMG. Not trying to be a D, but OMG. OMG. "A pretty nice sedan"? Yes, I'm sure they are, if yo have A VAGINA!!!!! OMG. Again, not tryin to be a D. Good luck on selling the wife on a third car in a couple of years. Bad decision man. Did you guys share the TA or was it just yours?
Old 05-23-2013, 04:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by b.lee
Kia? A Kia? Really?

Truer words have never been spoken.
Agreed...going from a t/a to a front drive Korean car screams I have given up on life.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

why not use some of the money to buy the TA back fix it yourself and get the wife a new car to make her happy?

Quick Reply: Sad Day - My mechanic dropped my car from his lift