Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Sad Day - My mechanic dropped my car from his lift

Old 04-02-2013, 07:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sad Day - My mechanic dropped my car from his lift

Yesterday my mechanic told me my 01 WS6 fell from his lift over the weekend. Something about the hydraulic lines breaking and it came down from over 6 feet in the air.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm trying to determine how to proceed with this.

He is filing a claim with his insurance and he got me a rental.
I told him not to touch the car anymore as I now need to have a third party look at it.
How in the world am I supposed to determine if the frame was bent, the engine block cracked, the brand new suspension was broken, the t-tops won't leak, etc etc etc.
His insurance company is the same as mine. I'm hoping that's a good thing.

My mind is spinning right now. I'm lost. I don't even want this car anymore for fear of something constantly going wrong. I want a fresh start.

Please someone share some words of wisdom or something.

Sniff...

Pictures to follow.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bowlingbrad
Yesterday my mechanic told me my 01 WS6 fell from his lift over the weekend. Something about the hydraulic lines breaking and it came down from over 6 feet in the air.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm trying to determine how to proceed with this.

He is filing a claim with his insurance and he got me a rental.
I told him not to touch the car anymore as I now need to have a third party look at it.
How in the world am I supposed to determine if the frame was bent, the engine block cracked, the brand new suspension was broken, the t-tops won't leak, etc etc etc.
His insurance company is the same as mine. I'm hoping that's a good thing.

My mind is spinning right now. I'm lost. I don't even want this car anymore for fear of something constantly going wrong. I want a fresh start.

Please someone share some words of wisdom or something.

Sniff...

Pictures to follow.
Don't sweat it man.....let the insurance take a look at it and let them fix what needs to be fixed. If you find something that is wrong during repair or down the line, you can call them up and have them look at it again. They're usually pretty good at that, or at least Progressive is.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

It sounds like your mechanic is being upfront with everything, especially getting you the rental. I believe it does help to have the same insurance company but unfortunately I see a 'totaled car' response. The hidden damage from this magnitude of a hit can never be fully known. The insurance company probably won't want to repair the car and be held liable later if something should go wrong.
Sorry for the misfortune.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Depends how hard it came down. You say it fell off the lift Or did the lift fall rapidly? If it fell off the lift its badly damaged. If the lift came down fast Its probably not damaged badly.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:29 AM
Teching In

Very sorry to hear. I can only imagine how you're feeling right now. I hope everything works out for you in the end.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn that sucks! Props to your mechanic though! He is standing up by putting a claim on your car and have gotten you a rental. Just wait and see what the insurance has to say about the car. Upload some pics and we can give you an idea how bad was the car damaged.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

I had friend's dump a BMW M6 off a lift, they were hanging off a 6' breaker bar they had on the crank bolt. Luckily no one was hurt and the car was not a customers.
Will be interesting to see what the insurance company does, these cars are old and replacement parts are hard to come by. If you have some mods you might have a fight on your hands to get the cost of those covered.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Here is a link to some pictures

https://picasaweb.google.com/bowling...eat=directlink

From the looks of it the car came down nose-first.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Seems not to bad but his insurance is going to have to repaint most of your car.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:55 PM
Teching In

Those lifts have mechanical locks, safety latches to keep this sort of thing from happening, so his story is suspicious.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:20 PM
Launching!

Agreed... The mechanical safety locks are what allow you to safety keep the car in the air, let alone work on it. Car should never drop.... Their fault entirely.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:23 PM
Launching!

You should share the shops name and warn all on here so they know to avoid that garage for poor practices...
Old 04-02-2013, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

Oh my goodness!!! Wow, sorry to hear this. I was thinking the same exact thing........safety locks.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:30 PM
TECH Resident

that is so unfortunate, glad no1 was hurt tho. good luck man hope it works out. may be interestted in the wheels if you part it out and they arent damaged
Old 04-02-2013, 05:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Stay calm and sit tight let insurance handle it that's what they are there for.

As far as frame damage any high quality body shop has a frame alignment machine can strap it down and tell to the nth degree if the structure is shifted or twisted. Opening and closing the doors, rear deck lid and ttops will tell you the most. If all the gaps are equal from one side of the car to another and equal along the seems on each door it's probably AOK. Deck lid tells you volumes if it closes right and gaps are correct if the structure is twisted it will be off and t-tops may not close or seal correctly
Old 04-02-2013, 07:53 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all of the encouraging thoughts.
I am, however, hoping that the insurance co totals this car. I do not want to keep trying to get money from them every time another 'leaky' spot shows up or something all of a sudden doesn't fit.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:32 PM
Staging Lane

Very sorry about what happened.
That lift is older and doesn't look like it has locking swivel legs. (big problem with older lifts) I didn't look hard at the vertical posts for locks but my guess is one of the horizontal legs shifted and then the car slid down off of the others. Check the underside to see if there are scratches/dents from the lift arms.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by avewhtboy
Those lifts have mechanical locks, safety latches to keep this sort of thing from happening, so his story is suspicious.
That is exactly what I was thinking.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

Free standing post lifts suck ***. I used to use one where you could see the lift pads creeping inward and outward when you put a car up and down.

The best lifts have an overhead beam. The columns stay true and square no matter what you put on it.

Sorry for your loss. The car is a bit beat up, but not as bad as you're fearing. I'd have no problems getting that fixed and enjoying many miles in a modern classic.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:52 PM
10 Second Club

I wouldn't give up on it. What do the door gaps and t top gaps look like? Best thing to do is get it on a frame rack and measure it. Find out if its in spec and go from there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sad Day - My mechanic dropped my car from his lift