Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

When I put headlight down, it makes a lot of noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 02:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default When I put headlight down, it makes a lot of noise

When I put head lights down it makes a lot on noise. Sounds like gears grinding on the driver side when light reaches the closed position. It last for about 20 seconds. It does closed all the way. I think that the motor is going bad, but would like to make sure before I buy a new one. This is on a 99 Firebird.

Thanks for any help. Darren
Old 04-27-2004, 05:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DO NOT BUY A NEW MOTOR! mine does the same thing, but I haven't gptten around to fixing it.It happens to all headlight motors. You can buy a replacement for the stripped headlight gear VERY CHEAP! The stock ones are made of plastic, someone has made an exact copy out of brass that will last forever. you can get the whole story and buy them here

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/index.htm

Good luck!
Old 04-27-2004, 07:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blue 01
When I put head lights down it makes a lot on noise. Sounds like gears grinding on the driver side when light reaches the closed position. It last for about 20 seconds. It does closed all the way. I think that the motor is going bad, but would like to make sure before I buy a new one. This is on a 99 Firebird.

Thanks for any help. Darren

Actually it is the motor on the headlights, mine was doing the same thing and I took it to the dealership and got it serviced. I think it costed around $300.00.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The headlight system on our cars measures amperage to know when the light is fully up and fully down . When the plastic gear inside the motor is stripped power is still fed to the headlight motors because it hasn't detected the high amount of amperage to know to stop powering the motor ...Do the temp fix and eventually get the brass gears!!!
Old 04-27-2004, 11:23 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks alot everyone for the info. Transamula thanks for the web page .
Looks like I will be buying a gear from http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/index.htm

Old 05-13-2004, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

do the 180 mod first

remove actuator arm, turn manual **** until the shaft rotates 180 degrees, reinstall, it will buy you more time.

See sig I have brass gears now

Ryan.
Old 05-14-2004, 08:02 AM
Nap
Teching In

Again, to echo the sentiments here, buy the brass gear.

My drivers light did this, I did the 180 flip and got about another month out of it. Swapped the gear and it worked like a champ.. Then about 2 months later the other side puked and I swapped the gear out in it (buy two of them because the other WILL fail eventually).

Took about half hour a light but I was slow and methodical so I could put it back together since I don't work on cars often enough to do it from recall.

HTH
Old 05-17-2004, 02:15 AM
Teching In

My passenger side Light wont come up anymore. What could it be?? Its not even making a sound like it completely stopped working. I don't think its the gear beacse like you all said that grinds when it goes but this isnt even making a sound. I checked the fuse and its fine. please help me cause its bothering me and i cant afford a new motor.

Quick Reply: When I put headlight down, it makes a lot of noise