TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Fixed
Old 11-01-2013, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrainFreezE
32 mustangs COTDAMN!!!!
32 Mustangs, 2 Trans Ams (Both LT's), 4 Camaros (3 Lt's 1 LS), and 1 GTO.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by M4N14C
Fixed
Haha, I don't see why people feel so cool in Mustangs (Except the new 5.0's are sick). They're eveywhere.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BatFastard
I worked out a deal with my parents. They said once I get a job and hold it for a while, they will let me get a car of my choice. If it's a sports car/muscle car I have to pay for 75% of the car, insurance, and all of gas. Im going to save up to get either an LT1 Trans Am or Camaro. LS1 will be to expensive and to much power for me.
you mentioned getting a 2k dollar car from your parents. If you like these cars a lot and want to make a hobby/passion out of it you could find a v6 bird or Camaro for that price. Even if its a 3.4 model. that way you could work and tinker with it and get familiar with them. Once you get your ws6 your wanting you can jump in, fix it up nice, and have the know how to do it. Just a thought, but go for what you want cause its all about what makes you happy
Old 11-02-2013, 12:24 AM
Teching In

My first car was a 94z28 6spd.(was 18) I have learned some much about these cars over the past couple years and fell in love with fbodys in general lol Don't buy one if you don't like working on cars is my advice tho. These cars are meant to be driven. I went from just oil changes to rebuilding engines all by myself and the Internet. Saved a ton of money too.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:25 AM
On The Tree

I am a retired police sgt 30 years on the road and own 2000 TA ws6. Get a less powered car for your age and 1st car. Pear pressure with your friends can make you do things that are very risky !
Old 11-02-2013, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2X Vote for a V6 Firebird

Originally Posted by sgtrgpfdps
I am a retired police sgt 30 years on the road and own 2000 TA ws6. Get a less powered car for your age and 1st car. Pear pressure with your friends can make you do things that are very risky !
Agreed.

If we could only get a time machine a go back 30 years and talk to our 17 year old selves...

Who am I kidding?!?!

We wouldn't listen to older wiser versions of ourselves either!!!

At 17 we knew EVERYTHING!

FatBastard - Get a V6 Firebird and thank us all later, when you are still alive at 18. It will be cheaper to drive and insure, and because it's a 'Bird it'll look 100 times cooler than any clapped-out rice-mobile.

My $0.02...
Old 11-02-2013, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by great421
Agreed.

If we could only get a time machine a go back 30 years and talk to our 17 year old selves...

Who am I kidding?!?!

We wouldn't listen to older wiser versions of ourselves either!!!

At 17 we knew EVERYTHING!

FatBastard - Get a V6 Firebird and thank us all later, when you are still alive at 18. It will be cheaper to drive and insure, and because it's a 'Bird it'll look 100 times cooler than any clapped-out rice-mobile.

My $0.02...
I agree. Right now, a V8 is out of the picture. Currently I'm interested in V6 Birds, Preludes, 3000GT's, Celica's, and Eclipses. Although I'd rather have a V8 Bird over any of those Japanese cars, I leaning towards one of those Japanese cars over the V6. Mostly the 3000GT. Don't worry, I won't become a ricer. I'll get a V8 when I graduate.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

I agree. Right now, a V8 is out of the picture. Currently I'm interested in V6 Birds, Preludes, 3000GT's, Celica's, and Eclipses. Although I'd rather have a V8 Bird over any of those Japanese cars, I leaning towards one of those Japanese cars over the V6. Mostly the 3000GT. Don't worry, I won't become a ricer. I'll get a V8 when I graduate.
for what its worth, the prelude would be the easiest to work on, I still haven't done my plugs and wires on my bird because I'm waiting to install the headers and do it then, but on a prelude its a 10-15 minute job, the only concern I have with hondas is they are largely "interference motors" which can have disastrous effects if the timing belt (not chain) breaks (which happened on one of mine) and that is a rather large expense for a standard 60k-100k maintenance (typically 400 parts and labor for timing belt and water pump replacement) this has pushed me away from hondas but they really are fairly easy cars to work on and all you need is a good metric set of tools, not like these bipolar f-bodies that have a 8mm screws holding the speaker mounting plate to the door then have 1/4" screws holding the speaker to the plate, or the rear shocks that are metric on the top bolt and standard on the bottom.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:01 AM
Teching In

Personally I don't think these cars are good for young drivers. The biggest thing is you are inexperienced. F-bodies aren't the easiest cars to drive. I had several third gens when I was 16-17 and its a miracle I didn't kill myself.

I have driven trucks for the last 8 years and just got a 2002 WS6. A big change, and I have to watch what I am doing with this car, won't take much to swing the rear end out given too much throttle.

The other thing is temptation. I am almost thirty and my driving has changed since going from a truck to a LS1. I want to haul *** everywhere and feel the power. Of course I know better, but how many teenagers practice good judgment and common sense?

Lastly, the LT1 is not the most reliable motor in the world. Strong engine when it runs like its supposed to but it has too many gremlins and I see a kid with not much of his own money getting frustrated having to constantly fix the car. I had a 1994 Firebird Formula when I was 18. By the time I got rid of it I wanted to burn it to the ground it pissed me off so much.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

I'm 16 and I just got a '95 trans am as my first car. I'm not to sure why people are saying they have to much power, I'm wanting more. All I really have now is a 3.73 rear end and a after market air intake.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaegon
I'm 16 and I just got a '95 trans am as my first car. I'm not to sure why people are saying they have to much power, I'm wanting more. All I really have now is a 3.73 rear end and a after market air intake.
You drive it in the wet yet?
Old 11-03-2013, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by irocdreamer
Personally I don't think these cars are good for young drivers. The biggest thing is you are inexperienced. F-bodies aren't the easiest cars to drive. I had several third gens when I was 16-17 and its a miracle I didn't kill myself.

I have driven trucks for the last 8 years and just got a 2002 WS6. A big change, and I have to watch what I am doing with this car, won't take much to swing the rear end out given too much throttle.

The other thing is temptation. I am almost thirty and my driving has changed since going from a truck to a LS1. I want to haul *** everywhere and feel the power. Of course I know better, but how many teenagers practice good judgment and common sense?

Lastly, the LT1 is not the most reliable motor in the world. Strong engine when it runs like its supposed to but it has too many gremlins and I see a kid with not much of his own money getting frustrated having to constantly fix the car. I had a 1994 Firebird Formula when I was 18. By the time I got rid of it I wanted to burn it to the ground it pissed me off so much.
i agree with everything you said right up until you said LT1 and too many gremlins.....the only issue there is to hate about the LT1 is the opti, and even that issue is blown way out of proportion these days.....its a solid engine.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

to the OP, the biggest question is where you live? if you see a good amount of snow in the winter, forget the camaro or trans am.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:43 AM
TECH Resident

I think if I had gotten my current car(94 T/A) I would have gotten into trouble, either a wad of tickets or a serious accident. I dont know your background but I really had no training behind the wheel prior to getting my license other than playing Gran Turismo 2. But it actually translated really well to the roads. My first vehicle was a 1997 Isuzu Hombre 5 speed. I learned basic traffic laws and got a lot of seat time in that then I went down a long array of cars before finally 4 years later I got my 94 z.

I think you should get some seat time in something considerably slower before you put yourself in that situation. Sounds like a crock of **** but I feel like now after all those miles in shitty cars not only do I appreciate my T/A more but I gradually got up to that kind of power and I know how to use it effectively on the roads.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by M4N14C
You drive it in the wet yet?
for real, even the 3.8 V6 can get in trouble on wet roads.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:26 AM
Launching!

32 Mustangs, 2 Trans Ams (Both LT's), 4 Camaros (3 Lt's 1 LS), and 1 GTO.
Dude where do you live?? When I went to high school all I saw were Civics, Preludes and Integras Lmao! even then I started rolling a 97 firebird.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, I'm a old dude with a 20 year old son and I'd say the V6 Firebird is a good choice, you get the great looks of a 4th gen and it will keep your parents happy. A cheap LT1 can be a real money pit especially if you have to take it to a shop for repairs. If you plan on taking Auto Shop classes as you move through high school then you may be better prepared for working on any car you end up with.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BrainFreezE
Dude where do you live?? When I went to high school all I saw were Civics, Preludes and Integras Lmao! even then I started rolling a 97 firebird.
I go to a high school in the Wichita, Kansas area.

Quick Reply: LT1 Trans Am good first car?