Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

LT1 Trans Am good first car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M4N14C
You drive it in the wet yet?
Yep pouring down rain. I live in NW Indiana.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BSmiff
I think if I had gotten my current car(94 T/A) I would have gotten into trouble, either a wad of tickets or a serious accident. I dont know your background but I really had no training behind the wheel prior to getting my license other than playing Gran Turismo 2.
I'm the same way. By the time I had gotten my license, I had played so much Gran Turismo 1-4, Forza 1-3 and Need for Speed titles, I surprised the hell out of my dad the very first time he took my driving.

Simulation racing games are a great place to learn the basics of driving physics. If you pay close enough attention, you'll notice the little nuances that most people wont notice. Not things like oversteer and burnouts, those are blatantly obvious.

But things like body roll, weight transfer, grip, power-over. You get a really rough look at what those things are, what to do in those situations and how they affect the car on the road.

Those countless hours building drift cars on Forza and Need for Speed sure came in handy when I got my first car and had to drive it in the Chicago winter on bald rear tires. ( 88 L98 powered Trans Am GTA )

Originally Posted by Jaegon
Yep pouring down rain. I live in NW Indiana.
Me too! Whereabouts do you live? I'm looking for more F-Body guys to have meets/cruise nights or something come spring time.
On a side note, screw all this rain weve been having. I just want my car to look nice for a few days...is that too much to ask?

Last edited by Kevin Lee 487; 11-05-2013 at 02:02 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Lee 487
I'm the same way. By the time I had gotten my license, I had played so much Gran Turismo 1-4, Forza 1-3 and Need for Speed titles, I surprised the hell out of my dad the very first time he took my driving.

Simulation racing games are a great place to learn the basics of driving physics. If you pay close enough attention, you'll notice the little nuances that most people wont notice. Not things like oversteer and burnouts, those are blatantly obvious.

But things like body roll, weight transfer, grip, power-over. You get a really rough look at what those things are, what to do in those situations and how they affect the car on the road.

Those countless hours building drift cars on Forza and Need for Speed sure came in handy when I got my first car and had to drive it in the Chicago winter on bald rear tires. ( 88 L98 powered Trans Am GTA )
+1 on playing driving simulators. Played Gran Turismo 1-5 before getting my license and taking the test was no sweat. Even now just a year after getting my license, when I come home from school and I see a nice curvy road I can't help but to kick the tail out

Me too! Whereabouts do you live? I'm looking for more F-Body guys to have meets/cruise nights or something come spring time.
On a side note, screw all this rain weve been having. I just want my car to look nice for a few days...is that too much to ask?
Try
Nu Finish Liquid Car Polish Nu Finish Liquid Car Polish
. I put it on 2 weeks ago and even with all the water here in Seattle it just beads off and is super easy to clean. And you only need to apply it once a year
Old 11-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Teching In

My first car was a 95. Best damn car I ever had. I miss that thing more than anything. I bought it from a not so great owner and it had a lot of issues, but even with all of the problems I had with it (Because of the previous owner. He put wrong parts on it and treated it like a stray cat.) I don't think I'll ever have a better car. You should get it, you'll love the car and you'll get to show your kids the awesome first car you had!
Old 11-18-2013, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BatFastard
I'm currently 15, turning 16 in a week. I found a 1995 Trans Am LT1 for $3800. It is an A4, color is red, hardtop with chrome rims (which are currently plastidipped), aftermarket stereo and subwoofers. 140k miles. I showed my parents, they are a little hesitant. I have to pay for half of the car ($1900), all of gas, and half of insurance (which I'd probably get just liability). They think I should instead drive a sub 1k junker. I think this dumb, since the car would be old, ugly, unsafe, slow, and embarassing. My family is in good econimical standing, making 100k+ a year combined. I really do think I am responsible enough, and I know what even the old LT1's can do if you're not careful. I don't want this to street race, drive at insane speeds (90 MPH+). I want it because I love Trans Am's and F Bodys, it sounds awesome, I might want to get into drag racing LEGALLY, I want a car that will turn heads, and a car that everyonce in a while I could acclerate up to the speed limit hard. So is this a good first car? And how do I convince my parents?
My first car was a 1999 Trans am in red! This was my dream car lol and got it 3 or 4 years ago just turnd 21 this oct ohh and I had to pay for it
Old 11-23-2013, 12:41 PM
Teching In

I didn't read the whole thread . But a totally stock LT1 isn't a bad car for a first car . My daughter wants my LT1 car when she turns 16 next year , she won't get it but she wants it lol! I might buy her a V6 Camaro of firebird .but **** give it hell kid , god luck !
Old 11-24-2013, 12:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Murd450
I didn't read the whole thread . But a totally stock LT1 isn't a bad car for a first car . My daughter wants my LT1 car when she turns 16 next year , she won't get it but she wants it lol! I might buy her a V6 Camaro of firebird .but **** give it hell kid , god luck !
If a girl actually wants a particular car and actually likes it, she may actually keep it nice. Too many females out there who have not a single clue or care about their car so they dirty them up horribly and inevitably run them into the ground.

Id say give it to her if insurance/gas isn't an issue. Just make sure she knows that it IS capable of wrapping her around a tree if pushed a little too hard and don't let any boys drive it lol.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:42 AM
Teching In

If a girl actually wants a particular car and actually likes it, she may actually keep it nice. Too many females out there who have not a single clue or care about their car so they dirty them up horribly and inevitably run them into the ground.

So you hav met my wife ? Lol!
Old 11-25-2013, 12:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BatFastard
32 Mustangs, 2 Trans Ams (Both LT's), 4 Camaros (3 Lt's 1 LS), and 1 GTO.
That LS1 Camaro is quicker than the GTO (stock for stock) unless it's a 6.0 LS2 car, big weight difference and same power. Also IRS vs live axle of the Camaro. Both are good cars tho
Old 11-25-2013, 04:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I wish I had a chance at a LT1 Trans Am as my first car. Mine was a 1980 Trans Am with a 301. I loved the look but man that car was a dog!
Old 11-29-2013, 08:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Wink

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
I think it would be a good first car but you need to make sure you understand the LT1 and understand the responsibility that comes with a Trans Am while still being in high school.

Also, make sure you get full coverage. For instance, finding a front bumper for that car would be almost impossible.
Not that hard, Year One has plenty front clips with everything that goes behind them too
Old 11-30-2013, 01:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive been considering selling my 1998 accord daily driver with178k miles for a 1997 t/a with 88k miles, gotta get the wife on board with it tho

Quick Reply: LT1 Trans Am good first car?