Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

my US Exotics review

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up my US Exotics review

as many of you guys know Roger has been making hoods for us for a while. He stopped for a while as well then started back up again. i have had the pleasure of dealing with him over the last few months.

Long story short, back in April or may i had purchased a superhawk hood which i was made to believe was a US Exotics hood. turns out it was a cheap ripoff that the ebay seller was using pictures from Roger's ebay page to promote an item that wasnt even his. I contacted Ebay and tried to get fraud protection and everything but they did nothing to help.

Finally i found a way to get ahold of Roger and explained to him the situation and let him know of the ebay seller stealing his pictures and selling a false item. Because of what happened with me he was willing to work with me on another superhawk, but at that time i didnt have the money so i told him to wait.

Eventually like 5 months later im financially able to ge something done, i contact him again and we figure out what i wanna do. This time i opt to go with a mnore oem look so i went with the ws9 hood. but i wanted a lil more agressive so i got the outlaw version (higher cowl).

once everything was set up on what i wanted her decided to take it one step further and and make a one off version, something he hasnt ever done before and needless to say i was hooked by the idea. After a few weeks of trial and errors with diff gel coats and resins and other stuff, he finally got it all set in and ready to go.

REVIEW:
1. communication: texts and emails were slow to reply to but when he replied he would give more than enough information as to exactly where he was in the build process and would even send some pics to show the progress as well. Rating, B+

2. Price: due to my unfortunate incident with eBay, i got a damn good price... not gonna say what i paid, just know that i paid less than i did for the ebay hood Rating A+++

3. Shipping speed: was shipped out from his home office in Pennsylvania on a thursday and arrived at the shipping hub here in Alabama on saturday. I just picked it up today. Rating A

4. Packaging: annoyed at this but for a good reason, there is enough bubble wrap and cardboard on this thing to make Floyd Mayweather proud haha. was a pain in the *** to get it all off but the hood is in perfect condition. Rating A+

5. build quality: this is where i was worried due to the multiple setbacks he was having with the gelcoat and never having done this kinda hood before, but it is incredibly well put together. all the spots where the hood bolts onto the latch and hood supports are reinforced and even came with all new bolts as well. Rating A

6. Final product: this thing is a thing of beauty, i cant really describe how happy i am, so i will just give you the pictures since i know 90% of you didnt read any of this anyways and just went straight to the pictures haha. RATING A+

7. Overall assessment: Although a lil slow on communications, Roger is a great guy to work with, very flexible on what u may or may not want, shipping is top notch and his quality of work is amazing. overall i would recommend him to anyone looking to get a new hood for their Viper or T/A final RATING easy A+

now for what everyone was waiting for..... PICTURES!!!!!! lol

HOW IT WAS PACKAGED AND SHIPPED

HEAT EXTRACTOR

RAM AIR PORT

WHERE THE HOOD LATCH MOUNTS

BACK SIDE OF THE HOOD

FRONT

AND A FEW PICTURES TAKEN OUTSIDE

Once i get the hood mounted and everything i will post more pictures as well... but its been in the single digits lately and i dont wanna put the hood on till it warms up a lil bit.

sorry if this was a lil lengthy, but just wanted to let people know what i thought of my experience with Roger.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Almost as ugly as the driver in that Sig pic..... Almost.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that real carbon fiber. looks sick..me want
Old 01-06-2014, 05:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jrpimp00
Is that real carbon fiber. looks sick..me want
yes its real carbon, but the odds of him doing another one like this are slim to none lol... he said that this was fun to try something new but kinda difficult... im prolly gonna be the only one he does it for... but u never know he might change his mind down the road
Old 01-06-2014, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lemons12
Almost as ugly as the driver in that Sig pic..... Almost.
**** ur couch lol
Old 01-06-2014, 06:19 PM
10 Second Club

looks Awesome!!!

hes not done w/ the carbon

-brandon
Old 01-06-2014, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

TL;DR Phil loves his hood.

I think that looks pretty sexy. Need some more carbon accessories to make the carbon look flow a bit better throughout the car. But I dig it man.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Demonicbird00
looks Awesome!!!

hes not done w/ the carbon

-brandon
are you the one he's making the WS 94? He said he was making a ws9 regular hood for somebody else but after that he said he wasn't sure if he was going to do it anymore
Old 01-06-2014, 07:53 PM
10 Second Club

carbon superhawk
Old 01-06-2014, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

carbon superhawk
Full carbon?
Old 01-06-2014, 08:32 PM
10 Second Club

yea on top
Old 01-06-2014, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea on top
well what I meant by he wasn't doing it anymore was the hybrid hood the partial fiberglass partial carbon fiber
Old 01-06-2014, 10:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Cool, in for finished pictures,
Old 01-07-2014, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like it!
Old 01-07-2014, 02:31 PM
Staging Lane

I would totally agree with the above rating, reason he is a little slow on emails is because he is a one man show and puts a lot of time in building these masterpiece's. I won his eBay auction and he said it was the lowest price he has ever built one (superhawk) for. I as well don't want to tell but it was pretty cheep. And how did he respond to that, my brother lives not far from him so he delivered it for free and now has my car listed in his sales ad.
If anyone is at all interested in a new hood this is the builder to look at....as stated above A++++++++++++++
Old 01-08-2014, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah definitely agree with you, and he just texted me back earlier in the day and let me know that he is also working on a custom spoiler for our cars as well, he does not have any pictures or anything like that and he didn't really give me much info on it but as soon as I find out what he is planning I will let people know
Old 01-09-2014, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

How would I get in contact with him? I'm thinking of getting a WS9 Outlaw and was looking a VNF, but I heard they have fitment issues (side note does anyone know if this is true?) Hoping he'd be a little cheaper and/or higher quality
Old 01-09-2014, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Colesitzy
How would I get in contact with him? I'm thinking of getting a WS9 Outlaw and was looking a VNF, but I heard they have fitment issues (side note does anyone know if this is true?) Hoping he'd be a little cheaper and/or higher quality
I do not no about the fitness issues from vfn, but if you give me a little bit I can get you at rogers email address and I could p_m it to you
Old 01-09-2014, 05:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Off topic but does Roger make a hood a WS6 style hood with a higher cowl minus the Firehawk heat extractors?
Old 01-09-2014, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mr Phil
I do not no about the fitness issues from vfn, but if you give me a little bit I can get you at rogers email address and I could p_m it to you
I'm not really in a hurry, the car is in a storage unit and won't shift out of 2nd right now, I probably won't even have the money till February.

Quick Reply: my US Exotics review