Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

question about my 1996 firebird

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 12:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about my 1996 firebird

I got a little weird question to ask about my 1996 Pontiac Firebird. I was wondering does anyone got a idea on how many green models were made. I bought my car back in 2005 and still got it today, and during the time I've had this car i've seen less than 20 green models. Now I've seen tons of green camaro's (same color as mine) and lots of blue, white red and black models of firebird's But if anyone can give me an idea on that I'd really appreciate it. Oh if you need more info, It's a 3.8 v6 with t-tops and the tranny is an automatic. Thanks!
Old 01-14-2014, 02:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Depends on which green. If it's the dark green, over 2200, if teal, only 600. Here is a breakdown.

http://www.transamworld.com/1996-breakdown.htm
Old 01-14-2014, 03:37 PM
Teching In

Mines the dark green! Now I have seen a few teal green ones but didn't like them and forgot to include those into my question. Now I got a question about this chart ya showed me. I seen ya said i have over 2200 in my color I was now wondering what's the Firebird (L36) and the WS6 Coupe? all i know about my bird is that it's a 3.8v6 automatic with t-tops and I don't know what and l36 and ws6 mean or anything like that. I really appreciate your helping me on this!
Old 01-14-2014, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Whitaker
Mines the dark green! Now I have seen a few teal green ones but didn't like them and forgot to include those into my question. Now I got a question about this chart ya showed me. I seen ya said i have over 2200 in my color I was now wondering what's the Firebird (L36) and the WS6 Coupe? all i know about my bird is that it's a 3.8v6 automatic with t-tops and I don't know what and l36 and ws6 mean or anything like that. I really appreciate your helping me on this!
There were 2,263 V6 coupes that were made with Dark Green Metallic paint in 1996. Out of the 10 offered colors, it was the 4th most popular.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

The V6 firebird is the L36, the V8 is the W66. The WS6 is a package on the V8 cars, it adds suspension and Ram Air if I recall right.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dark green is a really common color.

Originally Posted by JC316
The V6 firebird is the L36, the V8 is the W66. The WS6 is a package on the V8 cars, it adds suspension and Ram Air if I recall right.
Ram air hood & intake, a 2mm larger front swaybar, 17" wheels, and an emblem lol
Old 01-15-2014, 11:00 PM
Teching In

Oh WOW, I didn't know all of that. TechCam97... you make me know for sure that my bird is very rare even tho ya said it was the 4th most popular (i bet black was 1st most) But i got kinda thrown off by MasterTomos letting me know it was a most common color. I'm not saying your wrong, But out of the 9 years that i've had my car (and still got it) and all. I've seen less than 10 Birds the same color as mine. But now in the camaro's that's a different story. I've seen a lot in the same color as mine there. I thank you guy's for letting me know all this info on my car. I would Love to get a ram air hood to "pimp" it out some and just for the heck or it get some lambo door hinges for it. But i've not got the money for all that. Thanks again for all this awesome info again guys
Old 01-15-2014, 11:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Oh WOW, I didn't know all of that. TechCam97... you make me know for sure that my bird is very rare even tho ya said it was the 4th most popular (i bet black was 1st most) But i got kinda thrown off by MasterTomos letting me know it was a most common color. I'm not saying your wrong, But out of the 9 years that i've had my car (and still got it) and all. I've seen less than 10 Birds the same color as mine. But now in the camaro's that's a different story. I've seen a lot in the same color as mine there. I thank you guy's for letting me know all this info on my car. I would Love to get a ram air hood to "pimp" it out some and just for the heck or it get some lambo door hinges for it. But i've not got the money for all that. Thanks again for all this awesome info again guys
Lol, It's far from rare. Just because theres not many in your area doesn't mean there isn't a lot of them. Look at the numbers. Just a quick count/rounding, there is about 20,000 L36 firebirds in that year alone. With about 2,300 being dark green that's well over 10% of the V6 models. The most common color (bright red, btw) is 4,700 which is still less than 25%. So, you have one of the rarest-common colors, yes, but in the grand scheme of f-bodys, it's really not rare at all.

Last edited by MasterTomos; 01-16-2014 at 12:02 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:26 AM
Teching In

oh ok I just was just still thinking it was rare because i live on the state line in Tennessee, and I've been to at least the middle part of my state tons of times not seeing but maybe 1 or two in my color and i go to Georgia a lot and I have seen quite more there and my last 2 far away states are Nebraska and i seen like 2-5 camaro's or firebirds in my style (i guess because there isn't many with front tag holders but it isn't that hard to buy a front tag holder for ya car) and the other state i was in was Indiana and didn't see many green. I also like how ya let me know the most popular color, I figured black then red and blue would have been the most popular order, and i know everyone knows the show the popular 80's model (2) black ones was in and the movie in in the late 70's That's why i picked black for number one!
Old 01-16-2014, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Visit Texas and you can throw a rock in any given direction and hit a green v6 Firebird. Let's put this in a broader perspective. There were 71,249 V6 Firebird coupes built between 1993-1997 (when the green metallic color was offered). Out of those, 9,425 (or roughly 13%) were painted dark green metallic. That may sound like very little until you realize that over five years, roughly one out of every eight V6 Firebird coupes was that color. So if you lined up every V6 Firebird coupe in a line and every eighth one was green, you'd still think it would be kind of uncommon, right? Well those other seven V6 Firebird Coupes? They were all one of over thirteen other colors that were offered by GM during those five years. Thirteen. That's just the V6 coupes, we haven't counted V6 convertibles, Formula coupes / convertibles, and Trans Am coupes / convertibles. If you do that then out of 181,115 Firebirds built between 1993 and 1997 (base V6, Formula, Trans Am, coupes and convertibles) 21,719 (or roughly 12%) were painted dark green metallic. So if you took every Firebird built between those years and put them end to end in a line, roughly one out every eight would again be painted dark green metallic. The other seven in between would be painted one of the thirteen other colors offered. Pretty popular color. Just something to think about.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TechCam97
Visit Texas and you can throw a rock in any given direction and hit a green v6 Firebird. Let's put this in a broader perspective. There were 71,249 V6 Firebird coupes built between 1993-1997 (when the green metallic color was offered). Out of those, 9,425 (or roughly 13%) were painted dark green metallic. That may sound like very little until you realize that over five years, roughly one out of every eight V6 Firebird coupes was that color. So if you lined up every V6 Firebird coupe in a line and every eighth one was green, you'd still think it would be kind of uncommon, right? Well those other seven V6 Firebird Coupes? They were all one of over thirteen other colors that were offered by GM during those five years. Thirteen. That's just the V6 coupes, we haven't counted V6 convertibles, Formula coupes / convertibles, and Trans Am coupes / convertibles. If you do that then out of 181,115 Firebirds built between 1993 and 1997 (base V6, Formula, Trans Am, coupes and convertibles) 21,719 (or roughly 12%) were painted dark green metallic. So if you took every Firebird built between those years and put them end to end in a line, roughly one out every eight would again be painted dark green metallic. The other seven in between would be painted one of the thirteen other colors offered. Pretty popular color. Just something to think about.
This is what I was getting at, but didn't want to take the time to crunch the numbers lol. My hometown of 10,000 people literally had 3 green firebirds that I knew of.

Quick Reply: question about my 1996 firebird