Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Is a Trans Am a Firebird?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a Trans Am a Firebird?

I have an ongoing spat w/ a friend of mine who believes that the Trans am is not a Firebird. It is just called a Trans Am, not a Firebird Trans Am. I know there are Firebirds and Firebird Formulas, but its also Firebird Trans Am, right? I don't think Pontiac Trans Am sounds right. Pontiac Firebird Trans Am sounds right. Sorry for the lame topic but please help clear the fog.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:26 AM
Launching!

I was always under the impression that it was just Pontiac Trans Am, if you look you never see the words firebird and trans am on the car together. Also sites like autotrader and others list trans am and firebird. I am not sure though.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:55 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look on his title and it will say Firebird. Trans Am is an option package.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:48 AM
STF Veteran

It is a Firebird first and foremost. The Trans Am is an option. All Z28's are Camaro's. Just with a different option.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:50 AM
TECH Regular

Umm...yeah.
There is a Firebird, with package options as Formula, Trans Am, WS6 and WU6.
Both of my Trans Am's said "Formula/Trans Am" on them according to the insurance classifications. I had to make doubly sure that they understood implicitly that my Firehawk was recognized as such because it is of a much higher replacement value than just a Trans Am.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Dawg One
Umm...yeah.
There is a Firebird, with package options as Formula, Trans Am, WS6 and WU6.
Both of my Trans Am's said "Formula/Trans Am" on them according to the insurance classifications. I had to make doubly sure that they understood implicitly that my Firehawk was recognized as such because it is of a much higher replacement value than just a Trans Am.
But do you have a higher insurance rate cause it's a Firehawk? State Farm classifies our Firehawk as a Formula, so it ends up with a lower insurance rate than our WS6. State Farm has classifications for the Collector's Edition, and the NHRA edition, and the WS6, but no classification for Firehawk.
Old 05-25-2004, 02:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

In the eyes of GM and Pontiac the car is a Firebird. Firebird, Firebird Formula, Firebird Trans Am.

This also brings up the reason why the CE is a 35th anniversary car even though people will argue that it isn't even though it was called so by Pontiac. They recongized 35 years of Firebird by putting it on the top dog Firebird, the WS6 Trans Am
Old 05-25-2004, 07:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They should have did it to the real top dog and put it on the Firehawks. Firebirds have been around since 67. They even tried to get them out in 66 but they couldn't do it in time so they were brought out in 67.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:39 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Angus
They should have did it to the real top dog and put it on the Firehawks. Firebirds have been around since 67. They even tried to get them out in 66 but they couldn't do it in time so they were brought out in 67.
Amen to that!

I was already to order a Collector Edition Trans Am when I found out it was nothing more than a paint and graphics package. NO performance enhancements whatsoever for a $35,000+ car was worth it to me.
Yet...the Firehawk boosted its factory power to its highest ever 345HP in the final year of production. Glad I chose it instead.

'Course in the most sacriligious of corporate moves, the "real" father of the Firebird, John DeLorean, was rejected in his prototype "Banshee Firebird" design that would have buried the Corvette and forced to revamp an existing Camaro the first year of production before Pontiac got around to creating their own individual look in 1969, the first year of the Trans Am.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:55 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

For 93+ cars, all a Trans Am is, is just an RPO code for an equipment and body package thats it.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

it's a Firebird I know, I hate it too when you go to a shop, and they refer to my car as a Firebird, I get real defensive and correct them and tell them that its a WS6 Trans-Am, but when I got my title low and behold it says Firebird, in fact nowhere on the title does it say Trans-Am at all, and I think thats chicken **** since no where on the car it says Firebird, 20 years from now someone with a Firebird that put a Trans-Am body kit on their car, might be able to sell it off as a Trans-Am, and that just sucks, since theres a substancial difference in price between the two, new vs. new, but oh well what can you do I guess thats what the sticker on the inside of the door is for...
Old 05-29-2004, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02 WS-6
it's a Firebird I know, I hate it too when you go to a shop, and they refer to my car as a Firebird, I get real defensive and correct them and tell them that its a WS6 Trans-Am, but when I got my title low and behold it says Firebird, in fact nowhere on the title does it say Trans-Am at all, and I think thats chicken **** since no where on the car it says Firebird, 20 years from now someone with a Firebird that put a Trans-Am body kit on their car, might be able to sell it off as a Trans-Am, and that just sucks, since theres a substancial difference in price between the two, new vs. new, but oh well what can you do I guess thats what the sticker on the inside of the door is for...
its the same car... your car, and my car, are nothing more than $15,000 firebirds, with about $16,000 in opotions on them

Thats what i always remind myself, when i get upset at the little things that are missing. (foot lights. lighted visors, homelink ect, not that i want them, but they're things that normally come standard on $30,000 cars)

Ryan.

Ryan.
Old 05-29-2004, 11:06 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

Yeah, we all drive upper class mullet mobiles At least they are fast, and look half decent. Well to us, people tell me all the time how ugly TAs are. Then again there are the few that recognize it and try to catch up to me on the highway to give me the thumbs up.

The trans am doesn't necessarily say firebird on it, but check your flont plate filler, and real tail light filler. You'll find some nice big firebird logos..
Old 05-29-2004, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

pontiac does that often, not label the upper level cars, the base car name,

my old 1992 bonneville SSE, only said SSE and pontiac on the car, no bonneville name anywhere.

Ryan.
Old 05-30-2004, 08:10 AM
TECH Regular

S'wat I always hated about my '97 Formula (no badging outside) and '98 Formula (door badging FINALLY). At least my Firehawk says "Trans Am" on the rear panel. A Formula always said "Firebird"...
Old 05-30-2004, 10:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dawg One, do you own a SOM Hawk and go by Bulldog on the Hawkboard?
Old 06-24-2004, 08:50 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I like to refer to it as both just for fun. Sometimes I'll call it a 'bird and other times a T/A. It throws the non-car types off....
Old 06-27-2004, 11:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
I like to refer to it as both just for fun. Sometimes I'll call it a 'bird and other times a T/A. It throws the non-car types off....

If you really wanna confuse the non car types, just start calling them F-bodies and Ls1's. not referring to anyone in general, lol
Old 06-28-2004, 10:54 AM
TECH Resident

If you really wanna confuse the non car types, just start calling them F-bodies and Ls1's. not referring to anyone in general, lol
Old 07-05-2004, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

I'm cool with just calling mine a "Firebird!" What's the big deal?

Quick Reply: Is a Trans Am a Firebird?