Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

1999 trans am info

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 09:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1999 trans am info

Hey guys, I'm looking at trading for a 1999 trans am. It has 160,000 miles, ls1, auto, leather and ttops. It supposedly all stock. I'm going to look at it on Saturday. I'm wondering if there are any certain things I should be looking for and what it's worth? They are asking $5000. I'm trading my loaded 2003 expedition with 164,000 miles and books for $6500. If I asked for their t/a and $1000 does that seems about right? Any input would be great! Thanks
Old 12-22-2014, 11:15 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Expect a 160,000 mile car to have some issues. If you find the following, it could help you negotiate a better price:

Engine fires right up and runs smoothly?

After the engine is at running temperature, there should be no noises, knocking or tapping.

It should shift smoothly, make sure it goes into all gears. At highway speed/60 MPH, the tach should be below 2,000 RPM.

It should stop smoothly without pulling to one side or the other.

On a bumpy road, any rattles/noises?

It shouldn't bounce after stopping-a sign of bad shocks.

Bounce steering wheel left to right, there should be no knocking/clanging/noises/shuddering of the steering stuff.

Shift between forward and reverse, there should be no U-joint knocking.

Carpet under driver's heel shouldn't be warn to the floorboards.

Driver's seat's may have the seam pulled apart or worn on the left side.

Rear seat upper center seams may be pulled apart.

TOUCH AND RUB engine oil, trans and steering fluid between your fingers, feel for grit, check for burnt smell. Is the engine oil at the correct level? Is it black and old?

Look into radiator (when cold) and overflow tank. Any sign of engine oil or foamy/brown gunk?

Check rear body sides and rocker panels for ripples.

Remove T-tops, check for fitment & weatherstripping.

Headlights open & close properly?

Last edited by Paul Bell; 12-22-2014 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:22 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

KBB private buyer values in my NYC zip code are:

Good condition: $4,137.00

Very good condition: $4,260.00

Excellent condition: $4,543.00.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the price seems about spot on if the cars in good condition, i"d definitely rather have the bird than that giant gas guzzler. I'm looking at 2000 T/A(non ram-air) for a dd while i garage my current bird to build her up, it has 150K on the clock, all stock, new a/c installed, ses is light on bc of AIR or EGR or something and an old alarm with janky wiring, paint all peeling, interior decent for age(no rips in seats but horrible center console), stock 17's which arent all that bad IMO and he wants $4,500. Probably wouldnt give em 4,500 but i'd definitely give him 4 flat bc LS1 dont come up for sale much around here and when they do they sell quick. BTW ALL LS1 T/A's are leather and t-tops, it'd be better to know if it has a ram air hood, aftermarket wheels or something of that matter. as far as looking for something, its just like any other car so just gotta test it and see how she drives, sounds, and feels.

Last edited by Snake_Skinner; 12-22-2014 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:37 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys. Yeah I don't want it either haha. I have an 07 Yukon now and no need for the expedition so hopefully the bird is nice and I'll have a new toy. Was just wondering if there were certain things to look for in the car besides the main things on every other car. I can't find a way to upload the pics you of it otherwise I would
Old 12-22-2014, 11:55 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

If you have photobucket, upload your pics and copy the pic URL. Then in a reply here, hit the insert picture icon ( ) and add in the URL you copied at photobucket.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:13 AM
Teching In

Old 12-23-2014, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Car is in REAL good shape for the mileage except for that bolster but EVERY f-body has that after 130K miles. Interior looks real good as well as the paint and exterior. I'd say the last owner took real good care of her. Hate those wheels though.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:07 AM
Teching In

Yeah I'm not fond of the wheels either haha. Getting the vin # tomorrow so I can do a carfax etc on it. Any particular areas on these vehicles I should look for rust/rotting ? I live way up north (1.5hrs north of green bay,wi) and they load the roads with salt/sand every winter.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:34 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

From these pictures, it's hard to really tell it's condition. No underhood shot either. They should've washed it before taking for sale pictures-or if that's water, wiped it down. The paint can't be judged in any way from these shots.

Looks like there's paint missing at the right front turn signal lens and the left headlight door. The right corner of the rear bumper has a big scrape.

The carpeting is shot, as is both seats and a cover on the steering wheel usually means it's crumbling.

Of course, you'll need to do a full mechanical and body inspection when you go to see it.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
From these pictures, it's hard to really tell it's condition. No underhood shot either. They should've washed it before taking for sale pictures-or if that's water, wiped it down. The paint can't be judged in any way from these shots.

Looks like there's paint missing at the right front turn signal lens and the left headlight door. The right corner of the rear bumper has a big scrape.

The carpeting is shot, as is both seats and a cover on the steering wheel usually means it's crumbling.

Of course, you'll need to do a full mechanical and body inspection when you go to see it.
Didn't notice the steering wheel cover, nice eye. If it runs and drives smooth I'm still gonna make a run at it as long as they put enough $$$ on top. Fingers crossed haha
Old 12-24-2014, 09:40 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Old 01-02-2015, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Guy was hesitant to trade it so I didn't look at it but he texted me a few days ago saying he was interested so going Sunday to check it out. He said previous owner had motor "freshend" up because they were going to procharge it. That was at 142,000 and has 160,000 and they guy has owned it the past 4 years. Hoping he is up for it because I'd love to get into an ls1 car finally.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Snake_Skinner
Car is in REAL good shape for the mileage except for that bolster but EVERY f-body has that after 130K miles. Interior looks real good as well as the paint and exterior. I'd say the last owner took real good care of her. Hate those wheels though.
Not mine, but I cheated by swapping the drivers and passengers seat covers at 125k.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Can anyone run a carfax for me? I tried but keeps giving me an error?!?! Yes the vin is right I ran a quote for insurance... Looking at it in an hour.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Man was that a letdown..... Spider cracks all over front nose... Chips/ small dings all over... Under the hood was a hack job... low oil light...cracked door panels..both seats ripped up... Driven in the snow(had snow tires) taught me aLesson though, never get your hopes too high about a vehicle

Last edited by mnerat; 01-10-2015 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bummer, ya i've been looking at a lot of high mileaged birds and they all seem real prettty nice by the shitty pics but then when i get there their all ROUGH to say the least
. Sucks, am im being nieve in thinking i can find a nice fbody with high mileage?
Old 01-10-2015, 08:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Snake_Skinner
Bummer, ya i've been looking at a lot of high mileaged birds and they all seem real prettty nice by the shitty pics but then when i get there their all ROUGH to say the least
. Sucks, am im being nieve in thinking i can find a nice fbody with high mileage?
Yeah they all seem beat up with high miles... I'm going to have to sell my expedition and then go looking for a car... Long process but that's the way it's going to have to be
Old 01-10-2015, 09:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

You are going to have to pony up to find a way lower mileage car in order to avoid a lot of the wear problems. Yeah there's guys here with perfect high mileage cars. BUT because all of us are car nuts our cars are the exceptions rather than the rule for high mileage or even low mileage cars in terms of being cared for mechanically and appearance wise.

80% of high mileage f bodies are 13 years old for the newest one beat to **** and used up hacked, modified junk. You are going to have to look at a lot of junk before you find a good one at the price point you are looking to spend.

Quick Reply: 1999 trans am info