Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

95 Trans Am Build (DD/Auto-x)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 06:24 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice job!

All it takes is a ton of practice. I hadn't auto-x'ed in several years, but got back into it last year. It's a ton harder with these cars. I used to run an STi (I had two) and it was a lot easier to drive those with the AWD. This car takes more throttle control. I'm sure it'll be x10 times better now that I upgraded my brakes. We don't start our events until this weekend, but I'll be out of the country for this event. I'll sign up for the following event and hope work keeps me in the country!
Old 03-28-2016, 10:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaxem
Got a few small items done today, ARP studs pressed into my LS1 spindles going in soon:

Do you have a part number for the ARP studs? I am getting prep work done to do the LS1 brakes swap and although I am reusing the spindles from the donor, I would like to get some new studs.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:59 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OnA Fan
Do you have a part number for the ARP studs? I am getting prep work done to do the LS1 brakes swap and although I am reusing the spindles from the donor, I would like to get some new studs.
The ones i got were ARP P/N 100-7708, though any of theirs that are 12 x 1.5 mm will work, they come in different lengths, these ones were 2.5 inches i believe and i had to cut them all down. Not a problem if you use open lug nuts, but i like having nice chrome closed ones with my chrome wheels.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:28 PM
Teching In

Nice thread! I just read it all the way through and subscribed in case there's more updates.

I have a stock 97 Z28 and am going to replace all the front suspension bushings with new Moog rubbers, all the ball joints too. Read too many bad things about poly bushings binding.

I'm on the fence about lowering mine but do want Koni STR.T shocks at the very least. Will most likely upgrade to Strano sway bars too.

Not sure if I'd auto-x, just want it to corner really well on the street.

Thanks for putting together this thread, it's a lot of what I'd like to do also. I've had my car 1.5 years and haven't done much to it.

EDIT: Forgot to add my all leather white seats are worn (not bad and torn yet) so I ordered new ones with the houndstooth cloth inserts and the 30th stitching at the top by Lethal Interiors. Hopefully will have them in a couple of weeks.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

The ones i got were ARP P/N 100-7708, though any of theirs that are 12 x 1.5 mm will work, they come in different lengths, these ones were 2.5 inches i believe and i had to cut them all down. Not a problem if you use open lug nuts, but i like having nice chrome closed ones with my chrome wheels.
I'm with you on the chrome closed lugs. I was hoping you had a part number for "turn key" studs. Not sure if I want to start cutting them to length. How much did you have to trim off? Maybe I can locate something ARP makes that wont require cutting.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Not Dave
Nice thread! I just read it all the way through and subscribed in case there's more updates.

I have a stock 97 Z28 and am going to replace all the front suspension bushings with new Moog rubbers, all the ball joints too. Read too many bad things about poly bushings binding.

I'm on the fence about lowering mine but do want Koni STR.T shocks at the very least. Will most likely upgrade to Strano sway bars too.

Not sure if I'd auto-x, just want it to corner really well on the street.

Thanks for putting together this thread, it's a lot of what I'd like to do also. I've had my car 1.5 years and haven't done much to it.

EDIT: Forgot to add my all leather white seats are worn (not bad and torn yet) so I ordered new ones with the houndstooth cloth inserts and the 30th stitching at the top by Lethal Interiors. Hopefully will have them in a couple of weeks.
Originally Posted by OnA Fan
I'm with you on the chrome closed lugs. I was hoping you had a part number for "turn key" studs. Not sure if I want to start cutting them to length. How much did you have to trim off? Maybe I can locate something ARP makes that wont require cutting.
Thanks, i've had fun making this thread, i don't know how much more it will get updated, there are just a few things left to do with the car (as far as being planned...), and i don't want to belabor it posting up after ever event i run, but i'm getting some great experience working with the car, i would def recommend the strano sway bars, they made a huge difference, and i didn't feel the need for any better/stiffer shocks with them in place. Love the STR.T shocks as well.

Far as studs, they're all "turn key" depending on how deep you buy your lug nuts, i intentionally bought my studs extra long so i could get all the stud possible into my lug nuts, there was so little of the stock studs making it through my vette wheels i was pretty nervous about the forces of Auto-X popping a wheel off. The Dorman stock replacements you get at O'Reilly's are threaded all the way to the end of the stud (so should have more holding power) and good quality, they're what i would recommend for a regular use stock replacment
Old 03-30-2016, 07:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Far as studs, they're all "turn key" depending on how deep you buy your lug nuts, i intentionally bought my studs extra long so i could get all the stud possible into my lug nuts, there was so little of the stock studs making it through my vette wheels i was pretty nervous about the forces of Auto-X popping a wheel off. The Dorman stock replacements you get at O'Reilly's are threaded all the way to the end of the stud (so should have more holding power) and good quality, they're what i would recommend for a regular use stock replacment
Thanks for the info. I'm not running stock wheels either so I guess the best way to go would be to pull a wheel and and do a mock-up and take some measurements before I order studs.

Quick Reply: 95 Trans Am Build (DD/Auto-x)