Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 05:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Would be less of a problem if new modules were available?

Are re-manutactured modules available anywhere for those who prefer not to have to re-solder?
Old 11-10-2020, 08:51 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

I haven't seen rebuilt units available and have a defective one in front of me. I've been aiming to reman it myself, but the key integrated circuits are so old, I can't even ID them in order to find a suitable replacement.
Old 11-10-2020, 06:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for your reply, that's very interesting. Do they have any markings on them?

I don't know where these mount? But next to impossible for me to crawl under the dash these days.

Would love to see what one of these looks like inside...

Old 11-10-2020, 08:53 PM
Save the manuals!

If you search the web, you can find pictures of the board. Similar boards were used in Firebirds (many years), Corvettes, Fieros, Lotus Esprits, and more. All of the components are basic, except for two MOSFET chips (one for each side) which sometimes burn up. (The solder crack issues are unavoidable, in my opinion, and related to how the harness connects to the board.)

This module is easily accessed in the engine compartment near the driver's side headlight.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I just received the LMC High & Low Beam Housings. I also bought Phillips 9011 & 9012 bulbs which don't fit.
My question is: Should I use a dremel to trim the tabs on the bulbs, or enlarge the openings on the housings?
Thanks,
John
Old 11-21-2020, 06:26 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 188 Likes on 142 Posts

How don't they fit? If they don't turn twist/lock into the LMC housing, just a minor trim to a tab on the bulb is needed. If they don't fit on the car, that's because the right-angle bulb is hitting the metal bucket on the car and you need to cut a notch in the bucket.

Trimming bulb:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachments...ng-jpg.599362/

Trimming Bucket:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...s-exist-2.html
The following 2 users liked this post by VIP1:
JohnR (11-21-2020), Raleigh TA (11-24-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by VIP1
How don't they fit? If they don't turn twist/lock into the LMC housing, just a minor trim to a tab on the bulb is needed. If they don't fit on the car, that's because the right-angle bulb is hitting the metal bucket on the car and you need to cut a notch in the bucket.

Trimming bulb:

Trimming Bucket:

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! You are the best! You could have simply said "Modify the bulbs". But instead, you provided a beautiful, clear drawing which shows exactly how to modify the bulbs, and modify the stock buckets. I love this forum!
Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas to all y'all.
John

The following users liked this post:
Raleigh TA (11-24-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 09:57 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Glad I could help.

I can't take all the credit though. I found those pics. I just happened to remember what to look for.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Ok, MEGA problem

So, I turn my headlight switch on,the motors turn and the headlights pop up. Non of the headlights turn on though, And the fogs only turn on for a second when I try them. When I try to turn on the fogs individually I can hear the rely flick as they turn off for the split second that they turn on...Bought a new relay....Same problem for those. Sometimes one of my brights will turn on. So this tells me with the motors running the switch isn't the issue, I also completely replaced the stock male/female 5 pin connector socket, and I have good continuity all wires are correct . All my fuses are good. Intermittently the fogs will stay on. But the regular headlamps wont turn on at all....Any suggestions to my messed or ordeal?
Old 11-29-2020, 09:53 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by rimfire27
So, I turn my headlight switch on,the motors turn and the headlights pop up. Non of the headlights turn on though, And the fogs only turn on for a second when I try them. When I try to turn on the fogs individually I can hear the rely flick as they turn off for the split second that they turn on...Bought a new relay....Same problem for those. Sometimes one of my brights will turn on. So this tells me with the motors running the switch isn't the issue, I also completely replaced the stock male/female 5 pin connector socket, and I have good continuity all wires are correct . All my fuses are good. Intermittently the fogs will stay on. But the regular headlamps wont turn on at all....Any suggestions to my messed or ordeal?
What was your problem before you started the work on the headlights? Are you using stock headlights?

My first guess would be crossed wires or corrosion. If your parking lights, DRL's, and marker lights are working normally, I would agree that your switch isn't the issue.

Checking continuity probably won't tell much. I would unplug the 5 pin connectors and check the bulb ground and bulb voltages (low beam and high beam) Make sure you are getting good voltage to the correct wires and that they are in the correct positions in the connector body. The motor wires are right next to each other and the 3 lighting wires are all together on the other end of the plug. If one wire is out of place on just one of the plugs, it can short circuit all of the bulbs.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:27 PM
Staging Lane

Yea, Ive checked everything, I'm starting to think its the headlight control module. I dunno if other people have had problems with theirs before, but this is getting fustrating, I check each bulb individualy hooked straight to the battery and they turn on, the plugs are brand new, freshly soldered and heat shrinked....FML
k3000 (12-06-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 08:35 PM
Save the manuals!

Yea, Ive checked everything, I'm starting to think its the headlight control module. I dunno if other people have had problems with theirs before, but this is getting fustrating, I check each bulb individualy hooked straight to the battery and they turn on, the plugs are brand new, freshly soldered and heat shrinked....FML
Yes, frustrating indeed. The module shouldn't affect the bulbs lighting.

You can also have grounding problems that do these things. You might start by looking for voltage at the light sockets and see what you get. If you have no voltage with any combination of socket wires, then you need to probe your new plugs at the motors.

Are your marker, parking, and DRL's working properly?
k3000 (12-06-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 06:15 PM
Staging Lane

Yes, My fogs and markers are working just fine
Old 12-05-2020, 08:26 PM
Save the manuals!

Yes, My fogs and markers are working just fine
Then the problem is most likely isolated to the wiring in your front bumper between that motor connector and the bulbs. It should be straight-forward to trace.
k3000 (12-06-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 10:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by VIP1

Trimming bulb:

Trimming Bucket:

I finally did the Headlight Mod. This mod seemed like a pretty straight forward operation, but I don't think any mod I've done has ever gone as planned. Of course I couldn't just go with the LMC supplied 9005/9006 bulbs. NOOOOO, I had to go with the 9011/9012 Upgrade. So I modified the buckets like the above photo, but I ended up having to open it up more on the right side; no big deal. Of course when I went to install the buckets, I dropped one of the bucket springs down into the neverland. I finally found it by using a flashlight, a mirror, and a magnet. I got the 9011/9012 bulbs trimmed with my Dremel per the drawing, and that actually went well. When I went to install the new bulbs into the housing, I realized that I had to cut away some of the aluminum housing behind the steel buckets. Got all that done and then took a look at the stock bulb contacts and they were not pretty at all. Since I am after maximum light output, I cut off the stock connectors and then crimped and soldered the wires. BTW, I saw that the stock wiring is 16 ga. and the LMC supplied connectors are 18 ga. Finally, I got the new lights installed and they look super bright! Now I have to go for a ride at night and get the headlights aimed properly.
Thanks to all the forum members who went before me and made this mod possible.
John

Area to remove from the aluminum housings behind the steel buckets.

Bucket Spring orientation.

Old 12-26-2020, 04:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

its not easy

but might be a tad more easy if you take the assembly out.....
Old 12-26-2020, 09:52 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
its not easy

but might be a tad more easy if you take the assembly out.....
I did more cutting than that on mine to fit the projectors I have and I didn't remove the bracket/frame either. They are cast aluminum. Easy to cut. For the larger projectors I have, I had to cut off those bumps around the hole and make the hole larger (I think i had to cut a slot similar to the pic above - my car is in storage and I can't find pics of what I cut). You can cut with a dremel or small hacksaw like above. If cutting with a hacksaw, make several cuts leaving 1/8 tabs, break off the tabs, and file down the jagged cut.

Last edited by VIP1; 12-26-2020 at 10:16 PM.
Old 12-28-2020, 02:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

the only way i knew if the cut was enough was by looking at the backside....but if it worked for you ....more power to ya
Old 12-29-2020, 03:39 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

https://www.headlightexperts.com/low...conversion-kit

$199 for the complete LB LED kit.
Old 12-29-2020, 01:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Suaveat69
This looks very easy to install. Please share with us how the lighting looks on the road.
John

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE