Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My headlights do not come up when light switch is turned on they try and close further creating a bind after changing to metal gears please help
Old 05-19-2022, 09:35 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Jgood5271
My headlights do not come up when light switch is turned on they try and close further creating a bind after changing to metal gears please help
Go back to post 1838 and start reading about the headlight module: https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...o-here-46.html
The following users liked this post:
k3000 (05-21-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wssix99
This would typically indicate something mechanical. In your situation, I would swap the motors between your driver's side and passenger side. See if the problem moves with the motors. If so, that would indicate that the motor you purchased is a dud. (This would not be the first time it's happened to us.)

There's all sorts of things you could try and tinker with, but at this point - I think swapping the motors (in your specific situation) will be the path of least resistance/effort/time to resolving the problem.
wssix99, confirming that I've had both headlights get stuck down. Both are new motors. As with my previous story, if the headlight is stuck down, I simply open the hood, loosen the ****, try the switch again and the headlight goes up.

The passenger one doesn't do it very often, mostly the driver's side. I'd say it's good for 5-6 cycles and then I have an issue.

I'll also add that my driver's side headlight tends to bounce a bit when I'm driving. I'm thinking that the mechanism isn't bracing itself against the car frame when it's fully extended up. That might have something to do with it?
Old 07-09-2022, 09:27 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Majozak
wssix99, confirming that I've had both headlights get stuck down. Both are new motors. As with my previous story, if the headlight is stuck down, I simply open the hood, loosen the ****, try the switch again and the headlight goes up.

The passenger one doesn't do it very often, mostly the driver's side. I'd say it's good for 5-6 cycles and then I have an issue.

I'll also add that my driver's side headlight tends to bounce a bit when I'm driving. I'm thinking that the mechanism isn't bracing itself against the car frame when it's fully extended up. That might have something to do with it?
If your motors are new, I would look back at the headlight control module. There are separate electrical connections and relays for each side. (So the cold solder joint problem can express itself differently for each headlight.)

If your headlight isn't stable during driving, you should be able to tap on it in your driveway and observe where the loose/weak link is, comparing both sides.
JohnR (07-09-2022)
Old 09-28-2022, 10:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Snagging headlight door. UGH!

I'm having a different problem. I did try looking at previous posts but couldn't find anything on this. The passenger side headlight door is sitting way too high, which is causing it to snag on the hood when it tries to go up. UGH! I'm WAY more familiar with the headlight doors and brackets from 82-92.

Is there someone here familiar with the 4th gen headlight doors that can tell me more about which bolts there are to loosen to lower the headlight door's alignment? Could this be any kind of broken/damaged/bent headlight door bracket or hinge assembly?

I know I also need a new bumper for the hood on the passenger side, the one there is just not great, it may even be the wrong bumper. It's more of a stiffer plastic and does not seem to have adjustment threads on it.

But clearly the headlight door is sitting way too high on the outboard side of the door.

Old 09-29-2022, 12:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by k3000
I'm having a different problem. I did try looking at previous posts but couldn't find anything on this. The passenger side headlight door is sitting way too high, which is causing it to snag on the hood when it tries to go up. UGH! I'm WAY more familiar with the headlight doors and brackets from 82-92.

Is there someone here familiar with the 4th gen headlight doors that can tell me more about which bolts there are to loosen to lower the headlight door's alignment? Could this be any kind of broken/damaged/bent headlight door bracket or hinge assembly?

I know I also need a new bumper for the hood on the passenger side, the one there is just not great, it may even be the wrong bumper. It's more of a stiffer plastic and does not seem to have adjustment threads on it.

But clearly the headlight door is sitting way too high on the outboard side of the door.
Raise the light, take the screws out for the plastic trim. You will see 4 adjustable screws that hold the metal cover in place. They have slotted mounts.
k3000 (09-29-2022)
Old 09-29-2022, 12:35 AM
TECH Regular

Thank you Jason! I'll check that out.
Old 10-13-2022, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Just did the Amazon low beams in my headlight expert housings, do not recommend their kit for firebirds; leds don’t fit, and it’s awesome.

Old 10-13-2022, 08:38 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Which housings? Which LED?
Old 10-13-2022, 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Headlight expert housings from their kit and the Amazon scopac
basically......

SEALIGHT Scoparc S1 9006/HB4 LED Bulbs, Pack of 2 $40
Old 10-14-2022, 01:09 AM
TECH Regular

Default Long Motor Corp (LMC)

I'm using THESE with those Amazon bulbs. They are good.

https://www.lmctruck.com/1988-98-che...adlights-150mm

I'm having an issue with my headlight door alignment but it's not related to these housings...
Old 12-18-2022, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight conversion

Hello all, I was wondering if there was any easy way to get projector headlight housings for my 97 firebird? its just the base v6 model. I am very night blind and the stock headlights are okay but sometimes I cannot see. I looked into it and everything I was seeing was way too expensive. I was going to do a projector housing and some amazon led bulbs, those have worked super well for me in the past with other cars. My mustang had a reflector housing and they weren't that great, and my malibu had a projector housing and holy s*** was that a night and day difference.

Last edited by Strife1126; 12-18-2022 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-19-2022, 12:24 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

There are some older threads in the Appearance & Detailing section and the Electronics section that you should be able to find via the search.

The Lighting FAQ has some older options as well.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...hting-faq.html

Blackbird Lighting Solutions did have a projector setup for the 1993-1997 Firebirds. They might still.

I haven't seen any newer options unless there is a Holley/Motimoto LED Housing that is the same size as the 1993-1997 Firebird. Morimoto used to have some other projector setups. One of them might have been the right size.

You can find Morimoto stuff at their own website (The Retrofit Source) and others. From what I've read, the new Holley LED Retrofit Housings are actually made by Morimoto.

If you are handy, you can make your own custom setup as well.
Old 01-02-2023, 05:41 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by VIP1
Those Genssi headlights have been around for a while and are larger than the Firebird headlights. They are 4x6 and the H4701/H4703 headlights on the Firebird are slightly smaller. Unless Genssi made a new version that is smaller.
I bought a pair of these. The headlights are a perfect fit, but the prongs on the harness do not fit into the connector. Is there an adapter or some for use with these?
Old 01-02-2023, 11:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I bought a pair of these. The headlights are a perfect fit, but the prongs on the harness do not fit into the connector. Is there an adapter or some for use with these?
Send them back, they suck. They have decent wide illumination but they only light up 15' of the road in front of you. The Genssi website wouldn't let me submit a negative review on the lights.

I cut up some old electrical plugs, pulled the metal male and female connectors out, and wired them up. Similar to this kit: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Unique-Ba...Auto/684661346

Last edited by _JB_; 01-02-2023 at 11:55 PM.
k3000 (01-03-2023)
Old 01-03-2023, 10:44 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by _JB_
Send them back, they suck. They have decent wide illumination but they only light up 15' of the road in front of you.
Oh geez. That's no better distance than the stockers give, though I imagine the LED's are brighter. I get plenty of good wide illumination from the HID's in my fogs, due to their placement on the standard Firebird front end. But I need distance down the road in the center.

I can't find an email receipt from them, and I don't think there was a hard copy in the box. This will be a chore trying to get them returned.
k3000 (01-04-2023)
Old 01-04-2023, 07:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Oh geez. That's no better distance than the stockers give, though I imagine the LED's are brighter. I get plenty of good wide illumination from the HID's in my fogs, due to their placement on the standard Firebird front end. But I need distance down the road in the center.

I can't find an email receipt from them, and I don't think there was a hard copy in the box. This will be a chore trying to get them returned.
I don't have any cutoff photos but here's one on the road and the camera makes the lights look WAY better than they are. That car is 3-4 lengths ahead of me and you can see about halfway it's dark. Hopefully you can get your money back!

k3000 (01-04-2023)
Old 01-10-2023, 06:54 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

94 Trans Am. Driver side headlight assembly has lots of slack in the linkage between the motor and the headlight assembly, which makes the whole assembly vibrate and bounce going down the road, or you can grab the headlight and wiggle it up and down.

Is there a proper repair for this? On mine it looks like the pin or the bushing on the bottom of the linkage arm is where all the slack is coming from, but I’m not sure how you separate that pin from the linkage without damaging it. It looks like if I could get it apart, I could just put a bolt, nut and washers through it and tighten it enough for it to still rotate, but take up the slack.
k3000 (01-10-2023)
Old 01-10-2023, 06:59 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VIP1
There are some older threads in the Appearance & Detailing section and the Electronics section that you should be able to find via the search.

The Lighting FAQ has some older options as well.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...hting-faq.html

Blackbird Lighting Solutions did have a projector setup for the 1993-1997 Firebirds. They might still.

I haven't seen any newer options unless there is a Holley/Motimoto LED Housing that is the same size as the 1993-1997 Firebird. Morimoto used to have some other projector setups. One of them might have been the right size.

You can find Morimoto stuff at their own website (The Retrofit Source) and others. From what I've read, the new Holley LED Retrofit Housings are actually made by Morimoto.

If you are handy, you can make your own custom setup as well.
I just purchased the super expensive Morimoto XB 4x6 bi-LEDs for my 94 Trans Am. They come with an H4 pigtail and you must cut off your car’s original headlight plug and wire in a new H4 female plug. Simple enough to do. Some places you purchase these lights from might even include them. I bought the lights from Summit on sale and bought the H4 pigtails on Amazon for $20.

The light output on these things is phenomenal. This is the first set of LED projectors I have ever bought and I am amazed with the quality of the light and how little glare and light refraction comes off of them. I installed one and left the stock headlight on the other side, and the old halogen actually glared and threw more dazzling light. The LED was so crisp and clear, it looked like it was running on half the power of the halogen, yet producing twice and much light.

Super expensive, but the best headlights I’ve ever bought in 20 years.

Last edited by Detailpro116; 01-10-2023 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-11-2023, 06:01 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

$480/pair isn't too bad of a price. Stuff like this used to cost over $1000. I woider how these compare to their other Morimoto projectors (which aren't sealed) and other housings.

They also have now the Holley Retrobright 4X6 LED (also made by Morimoto) for $360/pair. They look like the old halogens but are brighter with good beam pattern. You can get them in the yellow-ish original halogen color or bright white instead.

I don't know how these two different units compare though. It would be interesting to see them side-by-side.

Both options are available from The Retrofit Source (Morimoto is their brand) and other places.

Speaking of comparisons, can you show a side-by-side comparison of the units you got to the original halogen. Beam pattern aimed at wall 20+ feet away and housings on table? That would help others in deciding what to buy.

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE