Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 11:17 AM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried the epoxy that came with the gear kit I installed, and a week later the covers had come loose. Screws are a good idea, just be very careful since the "ledge" is not that thick. I ended up using JB Weld on mine the 2nd time and almost a year later they are good.

Derek
Old 07-04-2007, 02:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Villain281H
I tried the epoxy that came with the gear kit I installed, and a week later the covers had come loose. Screws are a good idea, just be very careful since the "ledge" is not that thick. I ended up using JB Weld on mine the 2nd time and almost a year later they are good.

Derek
haha I never read the sticky, but now I think I will since my 'job' failed and didn't fix squat. Made it worse, so I just unplugged the motors with my lights up

I thought I broke the case cover, so I just super glued it back on after cleaning the surfaces a bit.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:05 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm merging this with the sticky...please post all headlight issues in the STICKY.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All i want to say is these directions are amazing. I joined this forum awhile ago but never really looked around. I have been trying to figure out why my headlights were making this stupid ******* noise for the longest time and now i know why. Thank you.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:22 PM
Teching In

It seems the headlight motors are the source of the most grief here. 12 pages in this section alone! One thing I haven't seen yet (I only checked the first 4 pages) is what I found on my car. The passenger side gear stripped, so I tried the 180 degree trick. Naturally, it didn't work for me. My gear is stripped at the end of it's travel, so when I rotated it the stripped part moved to the beginning of the travel. That's when I realized the gear could be removed from the post and rotated 90 degrees. Of course when I did that, the stripped part moved to the center of the travel. I took it apart (again) and rotated it back the other way, and it's good as new.

Oh yeah, definately tighten those housing tabs even if they still work. Mine were very loose. The driver side still works with 112K miles, I only tightened the tabs.

Last edited by 97T/A LT1; 07-08-2007 at 10:52 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Forgot one thing. I couldn't get the cover to stay on either. I broke out my old crusty Radio Shack soldering iron and melted the damn thing on. Kinda hillbilly but it worked.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:55 PM
Launching!

I am having issues with mine that I'm not sure is the same as everyone else. My headlights go up and down just fine. My problem is that starting today my passenger side hums like crazy for about 15-20 seconds when it goes down. Then when I go to arm the alarm, the headlights flip up and down a couple times and I get that same humming noise from the passenger side!!! WTF?! Ok so I pulled the fuse for the passenger side headlamp door, so that it won't go up or down or make that damn noise. But my driver side still flips up and down when I arm the alarm and also flips up when I turn on the parking lights! I flipped the plastic stop around that the arm hits, and no luck. I just ordered a new passenger side headlamp actuator but why the hell is it still flipping up the driver side lamp when the passenger headlamp door is the problem and is completely disconnected?! Will the new actuator fix my problem or no?
Old 07-18-2007, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Default Yep!

Yes... It is the same problem. I changed to brass and they work fine. I liked the info about not turning on the lights at high speed.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rama1r
if you go to http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/index.htm you can buy the metal gear so it will not strip. the worm gear inside the motor is metal so it only makes sense to have a metal gear for it to run off instead of a plastic one. i put these in my t/a and they work geat!!!!!!!

Great video tutorial!
Old 08-03-2007, 11:26 PM

Question Firebird Headlight issue, please explain.

First off I have a 1996 Pontiac Firebird 3.8 v6 with a remote starter. Ok heres the issues, today I went to turn on my car with remote start, as soon as I did my headlights began going crazy, going up and down, then stopped with one up and one down. I turned on my lights from the inside and the light that was up went down and the light that was down went up. Now whenever I use my remote door unlock/lock or remote start or try to turn my lights on/off the lights go crazy. Anyone have any ideas of what it is and how to fix it?

P.S the remote start isnt anything new, and for some reason the right one functions normally when i turn off the lights, but the left one freaks out. Thought When I use the remote door unlocker or remote start they both freak out.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-04-2007, 12:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

sounds like the headlight motor gear is dead. Mine did the same thing whenever I used keyless entry.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

they are on the same circuit as door locks
If the gears are stripped it wont think its closed.
flip the gear over and go another 100k.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:10 PM
SCRWS6

I`m with that guy^^^^ or get the brass gears.....
Old 08-13-2007, 06:30 PM
Teching In

im still havin problems with my headlight..the motor is fine and the gear isnt stripped.. awhile ago the connection was bad so i spliced the wires powering the headlight motor..this solved the problem for awhile just until recently..now today i checked the conncection and it still isnt working..could the headlight control module be shot? and where is the location of it..
Old 08-13-2007, 06:38 PM
12 Second Club

well i thought i had mine fixed.. maybe you can help me guys... my motor went... so i replaced it... replaced it and the gear inside was stripped dang! so i took it apart and put a new gear into it... epoxy it back together and installed it. worked great! now i just noticed that when i turn the lights off the driver side doesn't go down all the way.. its like 1/4 shy of all the way down. i have to manually turn it a few to go down... dang again! i watched it real close to see what its doing or anything noticable.. and what its doing is it will go down all the way and pop up quick for that 1/4 inch. not sure if you guys can help my problem and point me in the right direction.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

free bump for ya
Old 08-28-2007, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Brass gears are the way to go .....
Old 09-01-2007, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

Does the guy still sell these gears?
Old 09-01-2007, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

yeap he does
Old 09-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Staging Lane

Default Headlight motors: Please help

OK, so I'm not sure if I've got a screwy headlight module or not. I did the gear fix and I put everything back together and when I switch my headlights on, the motors try to close the headlights. My question is this...looking directly down at the headlight motor manual control ****...when you 'close' the headlights, which direction does the manual control **** spin? Clockwise or counter clockwise? If anyone could help me out today, hopefully, I can have my TA driveable by tomorrow! Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE