Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 05:47 PM
Has Unresolved Sales In Feedback/12 second club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vader99
Does anyone know how to quiet the racket that these headlights make when closing? Is it the actual motor making the loud banging noise or can you add some soft material to the "stops" to soften the bangs?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177470 check out this!
Old 12-28-2006, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I am not talking about the grinding sound of stripped gears. I am referring to the actual normal sound of the light banging down when you close them. Mine has done it since new as well as all other ls1 firebirds. The lt1 birds had quieter headlights when closing and the corvette ones are almost silent. What is it that makes the ls1 firebird headlights bang when they go down and is there anything a guy can manipulate to soften the "bangs"?
Old 12-28-2006, 05:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't think so--but i know exactly what u mean.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember someone once say'n that they swapped out the powerlamp motor from their T/A for one from a C5 Vette. Apparently that did the trick and made her quite. Watch,...next time you see a C5 Vette,...try to listen to the sound from the powerlamp. Its not as loud as ours. All he did is swap em out. I guess that means that they're interchangable. Good Luck!
Old 01-01-2007, 08:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blu98ta
My passenger side headlight bounces when I drive. I have had friends in front of me that say they can see it bouncing. Anyone know whats causing that?
I have the same problem, found out one of the alluminum arms cracked...

My .2C
Old 01-06-2007, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

Default motor keeps runing

change my headlights yesterday and my right headlight motor keeps runing then shuts off, it open and close ok but the right motor keeps runing after i try to close them and then it shuts off, all i did was change the headlights , didn't touch anything else , i remove both fuse to keep them open , until i find out whats the problem is .1997 firebird V6
Old 01-11-2007, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I am almost wishing I had bought a Camaro I just replaced my headlight gear for the second time flawlessly and its making the grinding noise in a matter of days. What the hell is wrong?
Old 01-17-2007, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

i heard about that but never knew if that was true
Old 01-25-2007, 03:34 PM
Launching!

i have the exact same problem with my 2000 ws6. anyone who can help PLEASE DO!
Old 01-25-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Did the temp fix on my headlights, they stopped grinding when i turned the headlights off. but now they grind when i turn the headlights on what the ****?! I tried doing a full 360 to try and reset it but that didn't work. I did notice that the arm and the actual housing is loose when they are up. Did i miss something in the right-up? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-06-2007, 08:02 AM
Staging Lane

well i did the temp fix back in dec. because they where racheting on the way down and that worked till yeesturday now they are doing it on the way up. also when my driving lights are on i have one that is bright and the other 3 are really dim, does anyone know why
Old 02-24-2007, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Default Headlight Motor - past the grinding stage

So I just got a '99 Firebird the other week and I heard about the headlight problem. When I bought it the headlight made the grinding noise but now, the gear is so stripped (assuming) that the headlight will not even go up or down. I'm also trying to bring it up manually but that doesn't work either. How can I get the headlight up to do the 180 fix?

PS: I'm getting a replacement part in a few days
Old 02-24-2007, 12:47 PM
Banned

Disconnect the linkage.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:30 AM
Teching In

Default Lights go up but not down

The new motors seem to be fine, but they won't go back down when I turn them off. The lights go out but just stay up. I already made sure that they weren't installed backwards. When I disconnet the motor from the light and turn the switch off and on the motor spins the same way regardless of switch position. Is there a relay somewhere to make it change direction that might be bad? They are in a 93 TA
Old 03-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Teching In

Default Need Headlight door help.

I’m at my absolute last straw with my headlight problem. Any advice somebody can offer would be highly appreciated. I’ll explain everything I’ve done. Sorry if this is too long. I've searched all the headlight threads I could find and couldn't find anything that helps.

My passenger headlight door does not work at all. It’s not a motor or gear problem because I’ve tested the passenger side motor on the drivers side and it works fine. When I turn light switch to open the doors the motor connected to the passenger side doesn’t move or even try to. I suspected that it was an electrical problem, I’ve checked all the fuses and they are fine. The actual lights on the passenger side work fine. I also checked the headlight connections with a multimeter and they all registered 12.60volts which was the same as the drivers side.

So I guess my question comes down to why would the lights get power just fine, but the headlight door motor doesn’t do anything. So other than me jerry rigging some crazy electrical connections between my two headlight motors is there anything else I can try? And is this something that I could take to a GM dealer to have them try to fix? I’m at my wits end. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by av8er77
The new motors seem to be fine, but they won't go back down when I turn them off. The lights go out but just stay up. I already made sure that they weren't installed backwards. When I disconnet the motor from the light and turn the switch off and on the motor spins the same way regardless of switch position. Is there a relay somewhere to make it change direction that might be bad? They are in a 93 TA
I put in a new motor literally 3 hours ago and at first had the same problem. It would go up but then it seemed like the arm was getting stuck up. I have no clue how I fixed it but I just kept playing around with the arm - taking it off putting it on in different positions etc until it finally worked.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Linas
I noticed a couple of posts regarding bouncing headlights. I have 01' firebird. One guy posted this:

"uhh. first off i have problems and its with both lights. while they are in the down position you can lift them up about 2 inches or so but they dont stay up. yet they work right but when i am driving they seem to bounce a little. any advice for getting them to where they are like locked down. the way it sounds is the middle part where the motor connects to the gear kinda bowtied and allows a little play. any fix for this"

Thats exactly what is happening to me. But I couldn't find solution for this in your answers. I am sure that this is not the problem with worn gear, because the motor arm rest tightly at the stopper. So the problem is with the "middle part". Any ideas how to fix it?
Same problem here! Really haven't found a solution to fix this problem.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by killerinyou
I’m at my absolute last straw with my headlight problem. Any advice somebody can offer would be highly appreciated. I’ll explain everything I’ve done. Sorry if this is too long. I've searched all the headlight threads I could find and couldn't find anything that helps.

My passenger headlight door does not work at all. It’s not a motor or gear problem because I’ve tested the passenger side motor on the drivers side and it works fine. When I turn light switch to open the doors the motor connected to the passenger side doesn’t move or even try to. I suspected that it was an electrical problem, I’ve checked all the fuses and they are fine. The actual lights on the passenger side work fine. I also checked the headlight connections with a multimeter and they all registered 12.60volts which was the same as the drivers side.

So I guess my question comes down to why would the lights get power just fine, but the headlight door motor doesn’t do anything. So other than me jerry rigging some crazy electrical connections between my two headlight motors is there anything else I can try? And is this something that I could take to a GM dealer to have them try to fix? I’m at my wits end. Any advice would be appreciated.

I finally fixed my headlight problem by myself, cost me $60 but I'm happy to have my headlight doors working again. After testing just about everything I coudl, I decided to pull out my headlamp control module and open it up. Once I opened it up the circuit board had obvious water damage and one part looked liked it had completely been fried. So I found a used headlamp control module online for $60. Installed it in today and the headlights worked perfectly. What a feeling of relief that was.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

Why are people posting questions in this thread insted of reading it?
Old 03-18-2007, 11:52 PM
12 Second Club

I'm sorry that I have not read the sticky, i am kinda frustrated and just want a quick answer.

tonight my friend and I deleted my air on my 99 trans am. I went out for a test drive and turned the lights on.. and wtf... the passenger side came up and the driver side did not. i am sure that my friend and i did not do anything but delete the air system. we didn't touch anything near there. when i turn the lights on... i hear the passenger motor but the driver side.. nothing.. i don't hear anything.. the light is turning on.. just not poping up. what should i look for? everything seems to be connected...

is there anyone in Orlando that can help me out? I don't want to take it to the stealership... thanks everyone.

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE