Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpeedSin
Wouldnt use WD40, its water-based (promotes rusting). I would use some sort of silicone based lubricant. Or a maching oil. Later...
actually its the exact oposite...it displaces moisture.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:23 PM
Mid
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WTF?

Now my headlights flip up in the oppisate direction, when I didn't even touch anything. And the arm is getting caught in between the plastic stop and another bolt.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Launching!

Need some help here on finding the new gear.... I went to the dealership and they tried to sell me the whole motor saying the gear by itself doesn't exist. I tried advanced and autozone and they both told me to go to the dealership lol.... any idea where to find it?
Old 07-15-2008, 03:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chemicalstylez
Need some help here on finding the new gear.... I went to the dealership and they tried to sell me the whole motor saying the gear by itself doesn't exist. I tried advanced and autozone and they both told me to go to the dealership lol.... any idea where to find it?
Did you read the very first post in this thread? Specifically the part were I wrote....
Heres a step by step write up for the temp FIX on that same page you can order the brass gears(aluminum now) to replace the plastic stock ones . Hope this helps.

Last edited by Danny2tek; 07-15-2008 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mustang5.Ohater
Did you read the very first post in this thread? Specifally the part were I wrote....
I did try it earlier today... link was dead. It works now. I figured the post was 4 years old and the site was dead when it didn't work...

Gonna email him tonight, thanks again for this thread.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by chemicalstylez
I did try it earlier today... link was dead. It works now. I figured the post was 4 years old and the site was dead when it didn't work...

Gonna email him tonight, thanks again for this thread.
He still sales them I just ordered another set, I managed to strip the drivers side brass gear
Old 07-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mustang5.Ohater
He still sales them I just ordered another set, I managed to strip the drivers side brass gear
wow lol! Question, when this happend, did your driverside marker light stop working... and then only work when your headlights are actually on? because that accompanied my gear problem and I didn't see anything about that
Old 07-17-2008, 08:22 AM
Staging Lane

duuuuuude....go to oreillys...its about 60 bux for the whole motor and its lifetime warranty...i ordered brass gears before and i think the kit ran about...80?

anyways, cant beat a lifetime warranty on that motor.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:31 AM
Staging Lane

ALLLRIGHT GUYS! LISTEN UP!!!

PART NUMBER

LINE CODE: A1 (A1 Cardone)

Part numbers: RIGHT side: 49-124...........LEFT side: 49-125

somewhere around $65

Hope that helps
Old 07-19-2008, 10:20 AM
Mid
On The Tree

^^Thanks for the info.....is there a way to order this online?

There's no Oreilly's near me.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:29 AM
Mid
On The Tree

wait nevermind....just ordered from orielly's online....I can't wait for them to come in, thanks for the lead MeanTA
Old 07-20-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I may have missed it in the previous twenty pages. My gear stripped out and I flipped it and it stripped again. I am going to get a metal gear and make sure the motor doesnt move.

My lights are dim on the drivers side which is the motor that stripped out. How do I bypass the motor so that my headlamps are not dim? I have tried pulling fuses any thoughts?
Old 07-20-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Webz
I may have missed it in the previous twenty pages. My gear stripped out and I flipped it and it stripped again. I am going to get a metal gear and make sure the motor doesnt move.

My lights are dim on the drivers side which is the motor that stripped out. How do I bypass the motor so that my headlamps are not dim? I have tried pulling fuses any thoughts?
I don't think they are related. Check the connector on the headlight for corrosion. You can put a meter on the connectors to make sure the voltage is good, but if it's low, check further up in the wire itsef as the connector crimps get corroded and it's hard to see. Sometimes you have to replace the headlight connector.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JasonWW
I don't think they are related. Check the connector on the headlight for corrosion. You can put a meter on the connectors to make sure the voltage is good, but if it's low, check further up in the wire itsef as the connector crimps get corroded and it's hard to see. Sometimes you have to replace the headlight connector.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Thanks, I will see what I can find out.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:39 AM
Teching In

I just ordered my complete assemble from Autozone today, they come with a lifetime warrantee! I already did the gear 180 deg flip and now I've stripped that side as well. Here is the info for the driver side from Autozone:

About this product:
Part Number: 49-125
Weight: 1.0 lbs.
Warranty: LLT

Pricing:
Unit Price: $73.99
*Core Value: $27.50
Total Price: $101.49
Old 07-21-2008, 07:11 PM

Default Different Headlight Problem

My problem is a little different I have a 02 Collector's Edition, 50,000 miles, today the headlights came on by themselves, buckets up and lights on does not matter if the key is in the on position or cranked. Shut the car off they go back down. Does not sound like issue so many have had with the gears but not sure this is only the 2nd TA I have owned with the retractable lights other was a 91 shark nose did not have it long enough to experience any problems. Any idea's ....Thanks
Old 07-21-2008, 07:46 PM
12 Second Club

Default headlights

Originally Posted by D-Webz

Your headlight motor is bad
Old 07-21-2008, 07:47 PM
12 Second Club

I dont think you can. But I may be wrong
Old 07-21-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 02CollectorTA
My problem is a little different I have a 02 Collector's Edition, 50,000 miles, today the headlights came on by themselves, buckets up and lights on does not matter if the key is in the on position or cranked. Shut the car off they go back down. Does not sound like issue so many have had with the gears but not sure this is only the 2nd TA I have owned with the retractable lights other was a 91 shark nose did not have it long enough to experience any problems. Any idea's ....Thanks
It might be a bad DRL module behind the radio. This module is set up to turn the headlights on automatically, but only if it's dark outside and the parking brake is off. Try applying the parking brake and see if it does it. If they stay off until you release the parking brake then it may simply be a bad wire that connects to where the light sensor would go. Normally this wire is looped on the US cars, but if it's cut it thinks the light sensor is seeing darkness all the time, hence, turning on the lights.

Check the parking brake thing and get back to me.

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE