Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=403

I think this now the best kit because the cushion on the metal gear and the reinforced
bracket. Another issue is the case and the tabs that hold it together.
Bottom line is if GM built it like that in the first place and used small bolts to attach the case it would be better, but they didn't so we have to work with these things
Old 10-29-2008, 08:31 PM
Mid
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mustang5.Ohater
Yep, were the arm would meet the stopper
Hey,

I just got my new headlight motor and I used your technique...works like a charm...thanks again No more headlight wink.

Orielly's has good service, they warrantied my headlight motor, without being a pain in the ***.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mid
Hey,

I just got my new headlight motor and I used your technique...works like a charm...thanks again No more headlight wink.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:59 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 188 Likes on 142 Posts

OK. I just cleaned up the last two pages this thread. Please be polite, mature, and on topic.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Any yall think a partially stripped gear would explain why both my headlights popped up over night? only happened once in 4 years
Old 12-01-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Veteran

possible
Old 12-02-2008, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by psykoTA
Any yall think a partially stripped gear would explain why both my headlights popped up over night? only happened once in 4 years
.... or maybe a little too much to the night before?????
Old 12-08-2008, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay... At some point I have read most of the pages in this thread and I'm pretty sure this has been discussed, but haven't been able to find anything yet and don't really feel like reading through all of the pages again. Hence the question...

I have a 2000 TA which has an issue with the driver's side headlight. Earlier it was first making the usual ruckus so I did the 180. Worked fine for about two weeks and then it decided not to go back up again at all.

When I turn the lights on, I can see the cover actually going a bit down instead of up as if the motor would be trying to turn into wrong direction but doesn't make any noise. If I manually crank the cover open with the lights on and then turn the lights off, it goes down as usual. The next time I put on the lights, it opens up fine, but once it stops, it goes right away back down.

So... What's the problem here? I'm assuming the motor is fine since it lifts the lights pop up. Is there some kind of sensor messed up somewhere or what the hell is going on. Like I said, I think I've read about it but can't find anything right now...

Thanks, guys!
Old 12-08-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Check to see if the white stoppers are still on the arms
Old 12-15-2008, 06:07 AM
TECH Regular

I noticed that the headlights to my 02 WS6 automatically came on after I turned the **** inside to OFF. Didn't think anything of it and just let it go. Did it again the next day. So I kind of played around with it to see if it was the gears going out. No sound made from the motors and they don't come up and down when I hit the key fob buttons. So most of the symptoms that show its the headlight gears being stripped aren't happening.

So fast forward about a week and they stop going up on their own. Figured it was just something that needed to be worked through the system and its good now. WRONG. It started acting up again last week. I pulled the two fuses that activate the headlight doors to go up in the hopes the lights would turn off since they weren't activated. But the headlights are still coming on even though the two fuses are pulled (both were 15's). So I'm thinking its either something that is tripping the lights to think the light **** inside the car is on, but I'm not even close to knowing.

Funny thing was on my way down to Tampa from Sumter, SC they went back down....only to go back up about 15 minutes later without touching the headlight ****. Entire way back they were up as well. I'm deployed right now, but I really would like to get a heads up on what I should be looking at when I get home so I can get this fixed ASAP. I have to go through our main gate in the wee hours and i have to unplug the fuse for the driver side headlight because it literally blinds our Security Forces guys when I'm coming in.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:04 AM
TECH Veteran

I replied to your PM let me know.....

It sounds like your bird has the automatic HEADLIGHTS feature on (Canadian F-body's had this)
Old 12-15-2008, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mustang5.Ohater
Check to see if the white stoppers are still on the arms
That was it. The lower one had fallen off but had gotten trapped just a couple of inches away, so I was able to salvage it.

It's a bit worn, mangled up and the lift arm hits it a bit too much, I think, but I was able to stick it back on with the help of some epoxy.

Hopefully it'll stay there at least for a little bit.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Texfinn
That was it. The lower one had fallen off but had gotten trapped just a couple of inches away, so I was able to salvage it.

It's a bit worn, mangled up and the lift arm hits it a bit too much, I think, but I was able to stick it back on with the help of some epoxy.

Hopefully it'll stay there at least for a little bit.

Thanks for the tip.
Do what I did, use some electrical tape and put some wraps of tape around it to "thicken" it up.

Glad I was able to help you out.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

All of this was extremely helpful thanks!
Old 12-16-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Thats what this thread is for
Old 12-17-2008, 05:53 AM
TECH Regular

Thank you again 5.0 for the help on this. I cant wait to get home from this deployment and dig into it and see if this is what has been causing the problem. Trying to get her back into her regular form
Old 12-24-2008, 02:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by topdj-com
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=403

I think this now the best kit because the cushion on the metal gear and the reinforced
bracket. Another issue is the case and the tabs that hold it together.
Bottom line is if GM built it like that in the first place and used small bolts to attach the case it would be better, but they didn't so we have to work with these things
Thanks topdj-com just ordered one of these looks pretty sweet!
Old 12-26-2008, 02:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 01ws666
Thanks topdj-com just ordered one of these looks pretty sweet!
It is a good kit.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:26 PM

Default Replaced Motor

I have a 3rd gen bird with the same headlight issues. It continues to turn after I raise or lower them and if I lock/unlock the doors with key fob. Further when I turn on my parking lights the headlights come up. The don't come on until I push that part of the switch down. I replaced the whole motor and the switch. The new motor was smoother and quieter, but still continued to spin and the other symptoms still persisted. I took the new motor out and took it back (got my money back because the motor isn't the issue). What else could this be?
Old 01-04-2009, 11:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack91
I have a 3rd gen bird with the same headlight issues. It continues to turn after I raise or lower them and if I lock/unlock the doors with key fob. Further when I turn on my parking lights the headlights come up. The don't come on until I push that part of the switch down. I replaced the whole motor and the switch. The new motor was smoother and quieter, but still continued to spin and the other symptoms still persisted. I took the new motor out and took it back (got my money back because the motor isn't the issue). What else could this be?
The headlights electronic brain?
There's only 3 parts. The switch, the motor and the brain. I'm not saying the brain box is what's wrong, but it's the only thing left.

Watch the motor work when you hit the key fob. Make sure it stops when it's supposed to.

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE