Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny2tek
Swap your modules around and see if the problem know goes to your passenger side.
where are the headlight module
Old 10-27-2009, 02:47 PM
12 Second Club

Im trying to do the temp fix, I have it all the way down to the motor, but I cant get the black cover off the motor. Its completely sealed together, and unlike that video, I cant just slip a srewdriver in and just pry it apart. Ive already sent the screwdriver into my hand trying Any suggestions?
Old 10-27-2009, 10:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RealLiveMD
where are the headlight module
The two thin boxes mounted by the fuse boxes
Old 10-27-2009, 10:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by FBodyPerformer
Im trying to do the temp fix, I have it all the way down to the motor, but I cant get the black cover off the motor. Its completely sealed together, and unlike that video, I cant just slip a srewdriver in and just pry it apart. Ive already sent the screwdriver into my hand trying Any suggestions?
If your doing the "TEMP" fix you don't have to remove the gear cover.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FBodyPerformer
It looks like you posted this yesterday, so this may be too little too late, but you can just unattach the swing arm from the motor, then turn the '****' on the top of the motor until it has rotated 180*, then slide the swing arm back on. Voila.

Good luck.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jersey Mike
It looks like you posted this yesterday, so this may be too little too late, but you can just unattach the swing arm from the motor, then turn the '****' on the top of the motor until it has rotated 180*, then slide the swing arm back on. Voila.

Good luck.
Yaaa, just a lil too late lol sent a screwdriver into my hand, thats nice. broke the motor cover. Cant align it right. I didnt even think about the **** at the top. Goin to pick up a new motor
Old 11-02-2009, 05:05 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Default 99 T/A headlights screwed up

The headlights on my 99 T/A are all messed up. With low beams on, all four lamps are lit but at ½ brightness. It’s certainly a ground issue but before I spend hours on a wild goose chase, can somebody point me in the right direction as to where’s the best place to start?
Old 11-03-2009, 12:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
The headlights on my 99 T/A are all messed up. With low beams on, all four lamps are lit but at ½ brightness. It’s certainly a ground issue but before I spend hours on a wild goose chase, can somebody point me in the right direction as to where’s the best place to start?
The harness underneath the headlights tends to develop serious corrosion. I would start there.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:12 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks Danny, I'll start there.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Well my Autozone replacement motor just stripped, not even a full year
Old 11-09-2009, 08:31 PM

I have a 95 Trans Am. It does the whole grinding thing when you turn the headlights off, but the passenger side light will not pop up all the way. If you wiggle the headlight it will move up and down but will not stay up. I have tried to manually raise the light, but every time I turn them off it goes back to the way it was before. Any ideas on how to fix this problem?
Old 11-17-2009, 10:12 AM
Mid
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Danny2tek
Well my Autozone replacement motor just stripped, not even a full year
Tell me about it. I'm probably on my 3rd from Orielly's.

Also, is there another solution rather than using black electrical tape around the arm? It slowly slips off, and causes issues.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Bought a new motor too...

Replaced a gear in one about a few months ago, then it started again, bought a new gm motor, all quiet again.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced both motors in my firebird. When I went back to assemble the headlight in the car I got everything bolted back up where it was supposed to be and tightened everything up. When you pull up on the headlight cover with the lights off they will come up probably half walf even with the car off. When I try to turn the lights off/on nothing happens. Brand new gears and You can see the motor turning but it just keeps hitting the stoppers. I have tried everything I know of but cant get them to go up/down at all.

Any Ideas?
Old 11-26-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Well my temp fix only lasted three weeks, gonna stick in a stripped brass gear in there for now. While they order a replacement

Originally Posted by Mid
Tell me about it. I'm probably on my 3rd from Orielly's.

Also, is there another solution rather than using black electrical tape around the arm? It slowly slips off, and causes issues.
Really? mine is still in the same place
Old 12-04-2009, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

super cheap. That's really not a problem. I have fixed so many lights by now that I feel like I'm the light motor fixing master....Then I hit a problem, the wire doesnt get any power. The motor works fine.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:38 PM
Launching!

Default Haven't heard of this headlight issue before

When I turn on my headlights the pop-ups go down with the headlights on. When I turn them off, they go up with the lights out. Seems all I would have to do is manually lower them with the headlights off and then they should be back in sync. Nope. No matter what I do (disconnect battery, un-plug control module) I get the same result. Ideas?
Old 12-05-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so they are doing the exact opposite of what they should be doing? maybe your headlight control module is bad (if you have one, i don't know if 96+ with the BCM have them, only that my 95 does)

anyway here's what the Headlight module looks like. maybe you can borrow one and try it. it's the black box with the 2 sets of wires plugged into it.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
so they are doing the exact opposite of what they should be doing? maybe your headlight control module is bad (if you have one, i don't know if 96+ with the BCM have them, only that my 95 does)

anyway here's what the Headlight module looks like. maybe you can borrow one and try it. it's the black box with the 2 sets of wires plugged into it.

It's a 2001 but the module is good. The problem only started after i tried the "free fix" for one of the headlight motors. It was ratcheting so I pulled the arm off and spun the gear 180 deg. Good news- the ratcheting is quiet as a mouse now- bad news- what I started this post with.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

odd. i've never heard of that happening with the free fix before. i've heard of them grinding when the headlights go up after the free fix but never having the lights go down when the switch is turned to the on position and vice versa.

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE