Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 08:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would be looking at the module(s), if the motor(s) are getting constant power to the point that they are about to burn up.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where are the modules located? we just moved so i cant find any of my flippin repair manuals at all.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

I just bought and installed the brass gears.

Great investment.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Headlight Motor

Replacing my plastic gear tonight on my 1998 Trans Am. Replacing the right hand side motor gear. Now the headlight will not go up. How do I get the motor out if the headlight is down?

Any insight?
Old 09-09-2009, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There should be a rubber nipple-like cap behind the headlight. Remove the metal shroud surrounding that, then remove the rubber nipple to expose a round plastic gear with a Hex?agonal hole. You can twist this with your fingers to either make the headlight go up or down manually.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

The driver side headlight motor burnt out and the blinker bulbs keep blowing. Is there any correlation to the two not working?
Old 09-12-2009, 12:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SS/CETA
The driver side headlight motor burnt out and the blinker bulbs keep blowing. Is there any correlation to the two not working?
not really, your DRL's probably have water getting inside them.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:27 PM
Staging Lane

Default damn pop up headlights

So I'm having a weird issue with my headlights. One of them won't always flip up and then once I get it flipped up it wont go back down. The thing is the headlight motor is practically brand new. I'm thinking some kind of electrical problem? I've had enough with these damn pop ups, I want to switch to those non pop up projector ones even though they cost like $1000
Old 09-23-2009, 07:01 PM
Teching In

Dan, You Rock! Thanks Bro!
Old 09-23-2009, 08:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BaNDiT-77
Dan, You Rock! Thanks Bro!
Old 09-23-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Riddle me this:
Sometimes it's perfect, other times it will grind.
Sometimes the car unlocks/locks without blinking, other times it triggers a blink upon hitting the key fob...
Old 09-24-2009, 01:23 PM
Teching In

Ok, So I'm getting a Headlight gear and replacing it this weekend because "My Headlights flip up, then down, then there's a grinding noise for like 5 seconds" Lmao!

Here's my question before I begin though. I've heard the diagnoses be "One of your gears are stripped" So, Which gear is bad ? Would one be accurate in assuming it's the drivers side hence that's the one doing all the grinding ? Or do I just rip that one apart and hope it's not the passenger side.... 50/50 ?

ThanX
Old 09-24-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^whichever one is the one making the sound. Go up to both of them & listen closely.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BaNDiT-77
Ok, So I'm getting a Headlight gear and replacing it this weekend because "My Headlights flip up, then down, then there's a grinding noise for like 5 seconds" Lmao!

Here's my question before I begin though. I've heard the diagnoses be "One of your gears are stripped" So, Which gear is bad ? Would one be accurate in assuming it's the drivers side hence that's the one doing all the grinding ? Or do I just rip that one apart and hope it's not the passenger side.... 50/50 ?

ThanX
Yep which ever one is making the noise thats the one that needs to be replaced.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:48 PM
Launching!

My passenger side one made the grinding sound after closing. So I tried the free fix, flipping the gear 180 degrees around. I did that, and now it's quiet. The problem is, the light doesn't go up high enough. If I rotate it to the original position, it will go up to its normal height, but make that noise. Any suggestions?
Old 10-21-2009, 11:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My drivers side headlight is acting up.

When the car is off it won't pop up.

When the car is on, it will pop on the 2nd try usually.

No funny noise, no problems on the way down.

Any ideas?
Old 10-23-2009, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default T/A Headlight mod

So i was looking at friends HID lights, that also turn with the steering wheel. Has anyone tried putting this in their bird? I have been looking into adapting a setup into my car.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Last week I blew a fuse in my driver side headlamp motor which likely came from the frayed wires touching the metal bracket. I bought a new motor and installed it. The light closed properly and then 2-3 seconds later it popped back up and apparently kept trying to go up because an hour later the motor was smoking and hot. I disconnected the fuse and bought another motor. Same thing. It's as if its not getting the signal to stop trying to go up. the other light works fine... well I can tell the gear is just starting to go bad. I had initially ordered the brass gears but they took so long to come... so I just went and bought a new motor. I love to waste money on this car. Anyway, what could be wrong. Both bump stops are in the proper place. Why is the motor not getting the signal to stay down for one? Also, why is it not cutting off when it pops back up and the other light is still down?
Old 10-26-2009, 01:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by firemech21
So i was looking at friends HID lights, that also turn with the steering wheel. Has anyone tried putting this in their bird? I have been looking into adapting a setup into my car.
This has nothing to do with what this sticky is about , I suggest you start a new thread for your answer.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by RealLiveMD
Last week I blew a fuse in my driver side headlamp motor which likely came from the frayed wires touching the metal bracket. I bought a new motor and installed it. The light closed properly and then 2-3 seconds later it popped back up and apparently kept trying to go up because an hour later the motor was smoking and hot. I disconnected the fuse and bought another motor. Same thing. It's as if its not getting the signal to stop trying to go up. the other light works fine... well I can tell the gear is just starting to go bad. I had initially ordered the brass gears but they took so long to come... so I just went and bought a new motor. I love to waste money on this car. Anyway, what could be wrong. Both bump stops are in the proper place. Why is the motor not getting the signal to stay down for one? Also, why is it not cutting off when it pops back up and the other light is still down?
Swap your modules around and see if the problem know goes to your passenger side.

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE