Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody find a thread/link on here outlining *(with pics) on how to remove the motor. Pic is worth a thousand words and I don't want to screw anything up
Old 07-16-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

In my first post there are TWO links to videos showing the removal process.

http://www.fquick.com/videos/Install...ight_Gear/2024

Last edited by Danny2tek; 07-16-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh ok thanks Danny2tek! I must have missed that.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Okay guys here's the story: I have been posting up looking for a pass. side headlight motor (preferable with a metal gear but not necessary-just a good plastic one will suffice for now) with no luck! I'm getting frustrated since I'm running around at night after work with only one light. So where can I find one of these motors (dealership can't even seem to find one yet) on sale for Canadian buyers. I'm lost here and really need help. Also, in the mean time- can I manually crank up the light, turn them both to "on" and then pull the headlight door fuses to leave them up? Will they both go back down when the motor is replaced or will I have to manually crank it back down first to get them in sync?

Major question: where to get a headlight motor, used or new? Please help. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sixxty7
i am just about done with these headlights. passenger motor not working right. heres what i did.

original motor replaced, due to grinding noise, and not working always.

second motor installed, works, but not in sync. tried reseting manually, pulled fuse, loosened arm turned by hand 180,replaced headlamp module, still not in sync. driver up-passenger down,vice versa.

re-install original, it works, i can deal with the grinding for now. nope, now original motor not in sync.try resetting like i did above, no good.

take second motor back for exchange, for third motor. install third motor, nothing at all. no vice-versa. no movement nothing. reinstall original headlamp module, same thing nothing.

been at this for two days, almost 12 hours. any ideas? i really would appreciate any help or suggestions.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:45 AM
Launching!

Just rotate the gear. You wont even need to bother to look for a new headlight motor for a few years.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oddwraith
Okay guys here's the story: I have been posting up looking for a pass. side headlight motor (preferable with a metal gear but not necessary-just a good plastic one will suffice for now) with no luck! I'm getting frustrated since I'm running around at night after work with only one light. So where can I find one of these motors (dealership can't even seem to find one yet) on sale for Canadian buyers. I'm lost here and really need help. Also, in the mean time- can I manually crank up the light, turn them both to "on" and then pull the headlight door fuses to leave them up? Will they both go back down when the motor is replaced or will I have to manually crank it back down first to get them in sync?

Major question: where to get a headlight motor, used or new? Please help. Thanks.
Yeah, just crank the motor to raise the light and pull both fuses. It looks funny, but it's functional until you get a new motor. When the new motor is installed they will synch up automatically.

I wouldn't get a used motor, if the gear isn't already stripped, it will be soon. Is Oreillys in canada? What about one of their subsidiaries? Read below.
Murray's Discount Auto Parts stores.
CSK Auto, Inc., a subsidiary of O'Reilly Auto Parts, still operates many stores under different brand names, including Checker Auto Parts , Schuck's Auto Supply and Kragen Auto Parts stores.
For Checker, Schuck's and Kragen store locations and online shopping visit our other website. http://shop.oreillyauto.com/

Last edited by JasonWW; 07-23-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I'm looking at buying one from "kny3twalker" off this site. He says he has the gear replaced already in it. He has 100% trader rating so he seems like he is the right guy to go with. I have book marked all your links your provided JasonWW but still can't seem to find a Canadian sales location. Maybe more searching? I don't mind buying from the States as long as I don't get killed in shipping. Also I have no idea how to MANUALLY turn up the headlight to the open position. Where the heck is the **** to turn it up. If I could find out how to do this I would leave them open and remove the fuses until I get a new motor/actuator (same thing right?). So basically I'm still looking and I need help turning it manually. Thank you so much for your time, patience, and effort.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

There is a **** directly on top of the motor. You just pull off the rubber cover piece.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ahhh ok, I thought that's what that was I pulled the rubber of the **** (that sounds bad lol) and lost the rubber piece, is that a big deal. Also, once cranked up manually, should I then turn the lights on and pull the fuses to leave 'em up? Or is there a specific order I should be doing this in, in order to prevent sync problems. Or am I ok just to do what I said. Thanks again. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Theres no order, just do it.
I think the rubber covers keep water from getting in the motor.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well breaking news! I just manually cranked up the pass. side headlight and lone behold it now works like new??? wtf? Maybe it's just sticking? I'm still buying a new one but if I can get some more life outta this one by turning that **** every so often that'd be nice. Does this indicate something to you, the fact that it now works? Thanks. Does a new motor come with the rubber boot? Mines lost in the engine bay somewhere now
Old 07-25-2009, 04:34 PM
Teching In

driver side headlight doesnt pop up (no grinding noise tho) light still comes on, outer side works fine. someone on here said harness corrosion? help please
Old 07-26-2009, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by djkeene16
driver side headlight doesnt pop up (no grinding noise tho) light still comes on, outer side works fine. someone on here said harness corrosion? help please
Well thats what I thought at first, I had no grinding. Then one day the pass. side light stopped coming up. So I manually raised it and then when I activated the lights switch they both started working. Only thing was that when it closed i started to get the imfamous "grinding" sound, indicating a stripped gear I guess? It was still grinding and popping up and down after I would lock it and walk away from the car So I just got them both up and pulled out the fuses for the headlamp door (two 15s located under hood). Now they just stay up and the lights still turn on/off properly. I have a new motor on order, I was just going to replace the gear but whatever, I'll just flip the gear on the existing one (see 180 degree gear fix-temporary fix for info on that) and use it as a backup. I'm still installing the brand new one, just to be sure since this problem is like a plague. It ruined my battery, my alternator (after clicking away and killing the battery right dead so many times). Guess my alt. could have been on it's way out anyways but still. Could be corrosion but it'll likely start to click when it makes that noise. Turn the **** manually and it'll get to a spot where the gear actually has teeth, if it works for a little bit it's probably a stripped gear in the headlight motor/actuator imo.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

So I replaced the whole damn motor~done!
Old 08-01-2009, 08:04 PM
Teching In

Default weird headlight problem not gears

on my 99 ws6 the passanger side headlight would not open i figured it was a loose plug or wire so i opened it manually and checked all the wires and plugs everything seemed good so lowered the light so they were both closed and turned them on again it still did not come up but when i shut the lights back off it came up now one is up and one is down i tried matching them up manually and they still keep doing the opposite of each other does anyone have an idea what could be wrong or how this could be fixed?
Old 08-01-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

My bet is one of your plastic bumper headlight arm stoppers fell off and the headlight arm is moving past the bumper and hitting something else to stop. Check the one that wouldn't come up and make sure the arm position and bumper look just like the other headlight.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:47 PM

my head lights or doing the classic jumping up and down with the alarm and going up when i turn on the park lights on i have already tried my buddies module from his ta which is working in his car that did not fix it and yes the drive side motor is going "gears" grinding what else would cause the light s to move when they are not supposed to
Old 08-02-2009, 09:49 PM

oh please email replies to my at nvmyta2001@ yahoo.com thankx guys for your help
Old 08-02-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you even read the first post in this thread? You have a stripped gear.

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE