Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 12:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default headlight Size

I checked for this in the sticky but didn't see anything. I was just wondering what size the sealed beam headlights in 98-02s are? Is it a 6x4?
Old 12-13-2009, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

H4701 (high) and H4703 (low)
Are the stock numbers.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the numbers. i was asking because I'm looking at sealed beam conversion kits but they come in different sizes and I'm not sure what dimension they are.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:08 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Default 98 up headlight grounds

Does anybody know the locations of these two ground points? They're in the circles at the bottom. Somewhere near the headlights?
Name:  Headlightwiringnoted.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  149.6 KB

Last edited by Paul Bell; 12-13-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:09 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Sick and tired of the stock headlights on my T/A, I was looking to improve them. I’m aware that there’s HID kits available but I didn’t want anything that fancy, just an improvement over stock.

I went with the Euro Lights kit. They had a deal for no shipping and I thought it was reasonable.

In their website, they don’t say what bulbs come with the kit. The choices are blue, yellow or blue/gold. I wanted clear lamps as any tinted bulbs are a waste. I figured I’d be upgrading the wattage anyway so I went with the yellow.

The housings are marked 4701 and 4703 but they’re clearly the same. They don’t provide a clear cut-off point. The lamps are H7's and all H7 bulbs have the shrouded tip (the painted end of the bulb) that you’d use for a low beam. So what I have is essentially two sets of low beam headlights.

The kit comes with adapter harnesses. Just 16 gauge lamp zip cord with 1/4 inch female terminals on the bulb end and round pin crimps on the socket end. I had to flatten these pins with a hammer to get them to fit the stock sockets. On two of these, the wires pulled out of the crimps and I had to re-do them. Very poorly made with crappy wire. Disappointing to see this in a "high performance upgrade kit".

Are these better than the stock headlights? Yes. They’ll be better when I get my clear 100 watt Hella bulbs and upgrade the wiring scheme.

Am I happy with my purchase? Not really. Would I purchase them again or recommend them? NO.

Last edited by Paul Bell; 12-16-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good old Firebird headlights. Gotta love 'em.

Looking to get opinions from the masses.

I have narrowed down the issue to the headlight module near the fuse box, or the driver-side headlight motor going out.

For reference, both headlight motors have the metal gear in them.

Out of 10 times of being turned on, the passenger-side will raise each time, the driver-side will go up only 3 out of those 10 times. The light will come on as it should, the door simply won't budge.

A sign of the motor going out? I would hate to replace the motor and have the problem remain.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:51 PM
Teching In

ok...SO I SKIMMED THRU THE FIRST 8-9 PAGES on this thread and cant see anyone having my issues so here it is:

I have a 95 Formula...when i turned on my headlights passengar side is fine-the driveres side goes UP-DOWN-UP.....When i shut them off _drivers side does the same thing (stays up-when off) ?????? I checked both fuses under the hood,i have no noise at all coming from the headlight motor,nevr have. They were working totally fine in the 5 years i have owned the car. Could it be the headlight control module? I dont think its the motor.....

If its the module-where can i buy one and how mch do they run?

i hate driving w her winking at everyone!! lol

ps--i popped the rubber cap off the one which is gving me the issue and wound the headlight down manually...thinking maybe itll fix it-when i turned my lights on-it goes up no problem,but when shutting them off-it goes down then back up again! ArrrgghhH!!!

help this girl out over here in NY!! Coldest damn day of the year-i cant stand being outside!! lol Thanx
Old 12-17-2009, 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dang. I had a set of the brass gears for a Fiero and had no idea they would work in my Firebird. I sold the gears along with the car. Dang (huge mistake.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kara 95LT1
ok...SO I SKIMMED THRU THE FIRST 8-9 PAGES on this thread and cant see anyone having my issues so here it is:

I have a 95 Formula...when i turned on my headlights passengar side is fine-the driveres side goes UP-DOWN-UP.....When i shut them off _drivers side does the same thing (stays up-when off) ?????? I checked both fuses under the hood,i have no noise at all coming from the headlight motor,nevr have. They were working totally fine in the 5 years i have owned the car. Could it be the headlight control module? I dont think its the motor.....

If its the module-where can i buy one and how mch do they run?

i hate driving w her winking at everyone!! lol

ps--i popped the rubber cap off the one which is gving me the issue and wound the headlight down manually...thinking maybe itll fix it-when i turned my lights on-it goes up no problem,but when shutting them off-it goes down then back up again! ArrrgghhH!!!

help this girl out over here in NY!! Coldest damn day of the year-i cant stand being outside!! lol Thanx
It sounds like the linkage is not hitting the bumpstop. I think the LT1 cars have long plastic tabs that stick out and the linkage will hit it and the motor is forced to stop. Without that bumpstop the motor keeps spinning and the light will go up and down until the timer runs out.

Look at your working light and make a note of the bumpstop. Then look at the other one. Has that bumpstop broken off?
Old 12-17-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by skopers3
I checked for this in the sticky but didn't see anything. I was just wondering what size the sealed beam headlights in 98-02s are? Is it a 6x4?
What's special about these lights is there shallow depth. The regular 4x6 and 3.5x5 are too deep.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Minacious
Good old Firebird headlights. Gotta love 'em.

Looking to get opinions from the masses.

I have narrowed down the issue to the headlight module near the fuse box, or the driver-side headlight motor going out.

For reference, both headlight motors have the metal gear in them.

Out of 10 times of being turned on, the passenger-side will raise each time, the driver-side will go up only 3 out of those 10 times. The light will come on as it should, the door simply won't budge.

A sign of the motor going out? I would hate to replace the motor and have the problem remain.
Check for binding in the linkage and that the cover is not binding against the hood.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JasonWW
It sounds like the linkage is not hitting the bumpstop. I think the LT1 cars have long plastic tabs that stick out and the linkage will hit it and the motor is forced to stop. Without that bumpstop the motor keeps spinning and the light will go up and down until the timer runs out.

Look at your working light and make a note of the bumpstop. Then look at the other one. Has that bumpstop broken off?
Thank U!!! Ill check it out later or tomorrow and see if thats the problem,keep ya posted!
Old 12-17-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Does anybody know the locations of these two ground points? They're in the circles at the bottom. Somewhere near the headlights?
I believe those are the 2 ground wires on each side of the radiator. You will have to unwrap the tape of the large harness that goes across the front. Both the headlight bulb and motor ground wires are soldered together in that harness to create 2 neat grounding points.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:03 PM
Teching In

Default Will this motor work?

I thought I would never make it to the end of this thread.

My question is will a 94-97 pass side headlight motor work on 02 drivers side? Heard it will and looks the same but would like to confirm.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:09 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

hi kara!!!
Old 01-02-2010, 11:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your looking for anything go to Top Down's site...... they are awesome... the fellas name is Lon and he will personally answer any question and recommend the part.... in the 3rd gen world he is the man but he does any motor in fbodys!
his site is:
http://www.top-downsolutions.com/
Old 01-13-2010, 04:39 PM
Teching In

Ok i've read for a couple of days and did not really see anything related to my exact problem, ive switched both gears around, and changed the module...my only issue is once i turn my lights off sometimes the go down together slow, and once down both motors continue to tick. when i pull a fuse to one headlight the opposite works fine with no noise..anyone else have this issue?
Thanks in advance Ron!
Old 01-16-2010, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Nobody ever heard of this? motors go up but fine down very slow an continue turn once fully down, ive delt with the gear issue on my other firebirds but this ive never seen, like stated above ive tried new module and switch itself, are there any relays in line anywhere.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:28 PM
Teching In

Thanx for the heads-up now i can do away with that hellish noise!
Old 01-27-2010, 05:55 PM
Teching In

Default Headlight problem NOT THE MOTOR

I read through all the posts trying to find a similar problem, but I couldn't find one and if there was one out there, then I read it while my mind was blank. But here's the problem:
As we all have before I had an issue with the one of the headlight motors, that was an issue that was fixed. The other headlight motor would work properly but the lamp was burned out (I thought) after changing the lamp it still wouldn't light up, I checked the voltage and I was getting 0's. I checked the fuses and they are all good. One of the other tests that I did was turned on the high beams, when I did that the low beam (the not working) turned on but the high beam lamp did not. Is there a relay that I should check/change? I could not find one. Any ideas on what the problem could be? Thanks in advance for any help.

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE