Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I got all my problems fixed but have a wierd issue now. I just put some Hellas in place of my factory fogs and put an hid kit in. Ever since whenever I lock it they go up and down. I know this is a sign of stripped gears but theyre brand new and it only started when i put in the hid fogs... Whats up with that?
Old 09-19-2011, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep just bought a brand new one to replace the reman that was spinning the wrong direction.

When they send out a reman they can put the wrong motor ontop of the assembly. So yes if your headlights are winking at you be sure tO check the new unit against the old one to be sure they spin the correct direction
Old 09-27-2011, 04:03 PM

Default lights wont go up or down??

today my left side light wouldnt go down but the right side worked fine then it stopped working too, now when i turn them on and off it just clicks at the fuse box? ive checked all the fuses and dont know what the issue could be, any help?
Old 10-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

I dont know where else to post this.

So wierd problem

Every time I Start my car the headlights go up lol... and you cant lower them. Turn the car off and they go down and shut off.

Yet before the car is started you can raise and lower them...

um help? lol
Old 10-01-2011, 11:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Canadian models came with auto headlights.

Last edited by Danny2tek; 10-01-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:47 PM
TECH Veteran

You can delete that feature if you want... Just splice the cables together that are for the photocell. The photocell is next to the alarm bulb on the dash.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

Ahah oh wow thanks man! Thats a lifesaver, I tryed searching on the net and everything and I couldnt come up with anything!

*hands a beer*
Old 10-02-2011, 10:48 AM
TECH Veteran

No problem
Old 10-02-2011, 02:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JasonWW
You should be able to make it from nylon parts at your local hardware store.

You need a tubular piece to slide over the stud and a flat washer piece on one side.

I saw these today.

The push nut should go on easy and come off hard. It bites into the metal to keep it in place. If it's wore out and comes off easily, you need to replace it with a new one.
Thank you very much for the help.

I finally installed the headlight but another problem came up, when I turn on/off head light they go opposite each other. The one i fixed (Driver side) goes in the wrong direction, when I turn on the headlight it goes down and vice versa.

I tried to pull the fuse of the passenger side headlight, cranked it up manually and replace the fuse again but it did not work.

Any thoughts guys?
Old 10-02-2011, 05:35 PM
Launching!

Finally got it fixed and got my self wet in a rainy Philly day

The problem was the arm that connects to the end of the shaft that comes out of the motor was installed backwards, dman me :p

Thanks guys!!

And that why I love LS1tech, you find everything you wanna know about F-Bodys.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Damn beat me to it
Old 10-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SUPER_CHEVY
Thank you very much for the help.

I finally installed the headlight but another problem came up, when I turn on/off head light they go opposite each other. The one i fixed (Driver side) goes in the wrong direction, when I turn on the headlight it goes down and vice versa.

I tried to pull the fuse of the passenger side headlight, cranked it up manually and replace the fuse again but it did not work.

Any thoughts guys?
I am actually having the same exact problem today. On my 8th I believe (Yes, 8th) Reman from autozone for my passenger side.

This time I installed it, and When I turn the headlights on , the passenger headlight goes down. When the headlight switch is moved to the "Off" position, the driver one goes down like normal and the passenger one goes up. I have tried unplugging the headlights and manually making them both up / both down and then hooking it back up, but it still has the same problem.

What is going wrong here? After screwing with it for an hour I gave up for now and I am thinking that the reman I got is wired wrong? Any ideas?

Edit: Just saw your other post Super_Chevy , Ill have to try it tomorrow.

Last edited by Jet49; 10-02-2011 at 10:04 PM. Reason: New post.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jet49
I am actually having the same exact problem today. On my 8th I believe (Yes, 8th) Reman from autozone for my passenger side.

This time I installed it, and When I turn the headlights on , the passenger headlight goes down. When the headlight switch is moved to the "Off" position, the driver one goes down like normal and the passenger one goes up. I have tried unplugging the headlights and manually making them both up / both down and then hooking it back up, but it still has the same problem.

What is going wrong here? After screwing with it for an hour I gave up for now and I am thinking that the reman I got is wired wrong? Any ideas?

Edit: Just saw your other post Super_Chevy , Ill have to try it tomorrow.
make sure the new headlight motor is spinning the correct direction and your arm is in the correct location. my reman spun the wrong direction and i had to order a new one and fixed it
Old 10-15-2011, 01:26 AM
11 Second Club

a couple months ago my headlight started grinding, so i bought a alum. one, put it in, all good untill now. It started grinding again, so i pulled it back out, saw that the 4 tabs were loose, checked the gear, littles stripped so i rotated it and put it back in so that the somewhat stripped part isnt touching the worm gear. tonight i went to Qt to get a soda, damn headlight wouldnt come up, so after some cuss words and wrenchs flying, i got it to go up and down.... but it grinds again...... so im pissed off now, should i just buy a new damn motor? or should i try to rotate it 180 degrees and see if it stops grinding?

sorry for the story but im so pissed at this stupid headlight i want to beat it with the biggest hammer i can find.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scout_miller
extremely weird problem here guys...

all four headlights are on. the passenger side low beam is on and looks normal, the drivers side low beam as well as both high beams are on and VERY dim. the high beam indicator bulb on the dash is dimly lit. both fogs are working fine.

even stranger, when i turn on the high beams the drivers side as well as the fogs just completely shut off. high beam indicator bulb becomes fully lit. the motors were giving me a hard time and have had the fuse pulled on them in the "awake" position for quite a while now. when i tried cleaning the wire harness one of the connectors was so corroded it just snapped off but the lights themselves were fine.

thanks in advance guys.
Did you ever get a fix for this? I'm having a similar problem when the high beams are on, all four lights stay on and both drivers side bulbs are very dim. When low beams are lit only the passenger side bulbs are lit and the high beam bulb is very dim. Fogs work fine.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:51 AM

I just ran into a problem with my headlights they dont come up anymore and they are not lighting up. checked all the fuses relays but when i unplug the passenger side wire harness for the motor and light there was like a rusty liquid and then water poured out of them now the drivers side was dry as hell whats the beef anybody know
Old 10-24-2011, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having a problem with my headlights... My High beams won't turn off Any Ideas? It's like the lever to turn them off and on id broken.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello everyone! I recently picked up a 2000 TA and am in the process of fixing all the issues as I come across them. One problem I am having is that the driver side light tends to vibrate a decent amount. Enough so that I can see the difference in where the light is on the road. I popped the hood and noticed that there is a bracket missing. I have not been able to find a part number for just the bracket alone and the local GMC place wants to sell me an entire actuator kit just to get the bracket. If anyone can identify this piece and it's part number I would greatly appreciate it. I've attached a pic of the passenger side. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE-pa150186-small-.jpg  
Old 11-06-2011, 04:44 PM
Staging Lane

So I read this whole thread-damn it's long- my question is. Should I get the brass gears or not? Seems to be mixed emotion on those. Driver side grinds and lights pop up when parking/fogs are turned on, was gonna do the temp 180 fix but some one has already done it. Some one steer me in the right direction please, thanks in advance.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This feels like a stupid question, but I suppose I'll ask anyways.

When I put the emergency brake down, are my lights supposed to turn on automatically? That is how it worked in my Camaro, but notice that when I put the brake down, the lights don't raise up and I have to use the switch for them to come out.

Normal?

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE