Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 12:21 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight motor problems, need help please

i am just about done with these headlights. passenger motor not working right. heres what i did.

original motor replaced, due to grinding noise, and not working always.

second motor installed, works, but not in sync. tried reseting manually, pulled fuse, loosened arm turned by hand 180,replaced headlamp module, still not in sync. driver up-passenger down,vice versa.

re-install original, it works, i can deal with the grinding for now. nope, now original motor not in sync.try resetting like i did above, no good.

take second motor back for exchange, for third motor. install third motor, nothing at all. no vice-versa. no movement nothing. reinstall original headlamp module, same thing nothing.

been at this for two days, almost 12 hours. any ideas? i really would appreciate any help or suggestions.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

idk i took mine bak and the guy is saying there is a module that goes bad
Old 05-10-2009, 01:07 AM
Staging Lane

changed the module too
Old 05-10-2009, 03:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

oh lol i guess i didnt read that my b .. were is it btw
Old 05-10-2009, 07:55 AM
Staging Lane

headlamp module is by the fuse box
Old 05-10-2009, 09:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Just finished adding a plastic gear to the rh motor, let it dry over night then put it back in this morning, tested it about 6 times works fine. Since my car is a garage queen this should take care of my issue for a long time, their is only one week out of the year when I use my car with the headlights on and that is during Cruising the Coast which isn't till October. Yeah these motors can be frustrating for sure.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sixxty7
second motor installed, works, but not in sync. tried reseting manually, pulled fuse, loosened arm turned by hand 180,replaced headlamp module, still not in sync. driver up-passenger down,vice versa.

re-install original, it works, i can deal with the grinding for now. nope, now original motor not in sync.try resetting like i did above, no good.

take second motor back for exchange, for third motor. install third motor, nothing at all. no vice-versa. no movement nothing. reinstall original headlamp module, same thing nothing.

been at this for two days, almost 12 hours. any ideas? i really would appreciate any help or suggestions.
Let me ask a basic question. Did you turn the headlight switch all the way on and off a few times? Usually that will get it in sync.

Take a volt meter and compare the voltages you get with the goofy passenger side to the voltages on the good drivers side. Pay close attention as to whether it's showing positive or negative voltage.
Also check all your ground wires for the headlights and the engine to frame.

Other than that, I'm at a lose for this one.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Let me ask a basic question. Did you turn the headlight switch all the way on and off a few times? Usually that will get it in sync.

Take a volt meter and compare the voltages you get with the goofy passenger side to the voltages on the good drivers side. Pay close attention as to whether it's showing positive or negative voltage.
Also check all your ground wires for the headlights and the engine to frame.

Other than that, I'm at a lose for this one.
yes, i turned them on and off. numerous times. changed the headlamp module too. i ordered the aluminum gear for the original motor that worked fine until the grinding started. gonna install and see what happens next. i mean really what can happen next. already have had lights that sometimes, for no reason, the high beams will come on and be really dim, with the low beams doing this as well. grinding motor, lights that flip up and down with the remote, due to the grinding. and last but not least, this is my favorite, when my neighbor was watching none the less, lights that do the oppposite of each other. should of seen the look on his face. priceless.............
Old 05-13-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes, i turned them on and off. numerous times. changed the headlamp module too. i ordered the aluminum gear for the original motor that worked fine until the grinding started. gonna install and see what happens next. i mean really what can happen next. already have had lights that sometimes, for no reason, the high beams will come on and be really dim, with the low beams doing this as well. grinding motor, lights that flip up and down with the remote, due to the grinding. and last but not least, this is my favorite, when my neighbor was watching none the less, lights that do the oppposite of each other. should of seen the look on his face. priceless.............
You check all the wiring for pinches, rub through? I have had wire bundles rub and cut through and ground to metal occasionally. Would get crazy things-shut the door-horn goes off. Turn signals on erractically.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

high beams will come on and be really dim, with the low beams doing this as well. grinding motor, lights that flip up and down with the remote, due to the grinding. and last but not least, this is my favorite, when my neighbor was watching none the less, lights that do the oppposite of each other.
First of all, it sounds like two seperate problems you have. The motor not shutting off and breaking the gear and popping up with the remote is related (common) and then the dim headlights and motors that refuse to sync up are something else.

I've recently been exploring ALL the wiring in the engine bay of these cars as seen in this picture.
Name:  IMG_0630b.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  42.5 KB

I will help as much as I can on any wiring questions, but keep in mind my setup is no longer stock. Most of the stock wiring is there minus the air pump stuff, fog lights and wiper pump stuff.

OK, here are all the ground wires:
From block (pass side) to battery. Long heavy 4 ga wire.
From battery to chassis. Short 8 ga wire
From block (behind alternator) to chassis. Short, flat, braided copper wire.

Then there are 4 smaller ground wires.
One is for the ABS unit only.
One is for multiple things and is on the pass shock tower.
Then the last 2 ground wires are next to the headlights and bolt to the upper crossmember. I think these are for the motors and bulbs. Check these for corrosion between the connector and chassis and then between the connector and wire to make sure it hasn't broken several strands of the copper.

If they are ok, then check all the other ground wires for the same things. I have run my motor and accidently left those 4 small ground wires unhooked. The engine runs, but the other electronics act super goofy.

So check that and get back with us. If they are all good, then I will do my best to figure out what else to check. Such as the headlight switch for instance. You can also unplug all 4 headlights to reduce current draw on the wires and then see if the motors function correctly. That's quick and easy and it might narrow things down.

Good luck.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Regular

Alright so I finally got my stuff fixed

The entire headlight module was fried. It shorted out the switch as well. $600 later we are back to driving without headlights up the entire time lol
Old 05-14-2009, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

I think I might know whats wrong, I actually just rebuilt both headlight motors myself and didnt spend a dime, theres a sticky with how to do it here. It sounds like you could have done that if it was just grinding cause thats what mine were doing. Anyway if one is up and one is down, it sounds like when you are installing the new motor the headlights are shut off and when you plug it in it thinks they are both off so it doesnt do anything until you turn the switch. so when you install the motor and plug it in make sure they are both up when you plug it in. Just my rambling two cents...hope you figure it out
Old 05-15-2009, 07:47 AM
Staging Lane

headlamp module is by the fuse box
Try bring one of the headlights up with out turning on the lights. That can be done manuely on the side of the motor itself. Then unplug that same headlight from the module and turn the lights on. Next plug the module back in. Turn off the lights, it should get them back in order.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I just went thru this and although after I rebuilt one motor I never had this exact problem, I just looked at the un-rebuilt one when it was up and then copied the same bracket look, position if you will, and then copied it on the other side if that makes sense, that works fine, for me anyways. YMMV.

PSS-After I rebuilt my one motor I saw how easy these are suppose to turn via the **** on top, looks like water is the biggest killer (and of course the stripped gears) of these motors so no more spraying off my headlight at the carwash when their open, that’s just asking for trouble, IMHO.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try this, with both headlights down and the headlight switch off take the negative battery cable off and let the car reset itself then plug it back in and turn the switch, this might work..
Old 05-18-2009, 07:13 PM
Mid
On The Tree

Different issue with my headlights, not the motor:

At first, the driver's side headlight is fine. Then after a while, the light turns dim and yellow(ugly and can't see the road).

Has anyone encountered this? I'm not sure what to blame.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mid
Different issue with my headlights, not the motor:

At first, the driver's side headlight is fine. Then after a while, the light turns dim and yellow(ugly and can't see the road).

Check for corrosion to that headlight. Its not getting a good ground
Old 05-19-2009, 02:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mid

It definetly a voltage problem. Check the connection between the wires and the headlight plug. Those plugs get corroded. I replaced both my low beam plugs with some insulated female spade connectors. That fixed it right up. Polarity isn't an issue for the bulb, so don't worry about that.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmmm. low voltage huh? I wonder if thats whats causing a slight "pulse" in my lights and the cause of my Pass. side light not popping up? It turns on but sometimes (when auto activated by low light) does not pop up!
Old 06-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Staging Lane

just finished installing headlamp motor with the aluminum gear, also cleaned the connectors too. everything working the way it should, for now. thanks to everyone who helped point me in the right direction.

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE