Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 01:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headlights come up/on when switch is off (Firebird)

Just got the interior of the car put back together. Me and friend stripped out all the wiring for the monsoon system and put the dash back in the car. Now I have an odd problem. With the key out I use the headlight switch and everything works as it should. As soon as I put the key in the switch and turn to the "on" position the headlights come on and pop up even though the switch is in the off position. I turn the key off and they go back down. In other words the headlights are on/up 100% of the time regardless of the position of the headlight switch. I feel like the switch is good because without the key in I can turn it to the park light position and I get park lights, then I turn it to the headlight position and the headlights come on and pop up just as they should. Its only with the key being turned on do they come up and wont go down... My only thought was that there is a small two wire plug that runs with the security light on top of the dash that I left disconnected because I assumed it was for the auto headlights found in a camaro, since I dont have those I didnt plug it into anything... I have no idea where to plug it in if it is supposed to be plugged in.. HELP please!!!
Old 02-27-2012, 03:18 PM
Teching In

Ok.. So I read through a few pages but couldn't find what I was looking for. Wasn't about to read through 63 pages since I don't have the spare time.

Neither one of the headlights on my 98 have gone up or down since I got it in October. I finally got out there today and did some looking. Both fuses were missing. I replaced the fuses and turned the switch on. The passenger side came up in sync with switch. When I turned the switch off the passenger side went down and the driver side came up...... WTF?!

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Ok I don't have time to read 63 pages lol but I just replaced both headlight motors w/new ones and my headlights still come up and down when I lock or unlock my doors ... any solution??

Last edited by BadA** SS; 03-09-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GTwannabe
Ok.. So I read through a few pages but couldn't find what I was looking for. Wasn't about to read through 63 pages since I don't have the spare time.

Neither one of the headlights on my 98 have gone up or down since I got it in October. I finally got out there today and did some looking. Both fuses were missing. I replaced the fuses and turned the switch on. The passenger side came up in sync with switch. When I turned the switch off the passenger side went down and the driver side came up...... WTF?!

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Your polarity of your driver headlight motor is wrong switch you wires coming in and out of it w/ each other...should fix it
Old 03-09-2012, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Pull the fuses and don't drive when it's pitch black. Use the foglights when you have to .
Old 03-09-2012, 07:30 PM
Teching In

just did the temp fix today and it worked awsome. hopefully i wont have to mess with it again
Old 03-12-2012, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last night I was adjusting panels(fender to bumper cover), so I removed the headlight assembly. After reassembly, the headlight worked but the "headlight door" would not go up or down. I checked/cleaned the main connection (looked near perfect), added elec. grease to the connection, still nothing. 2 quick jumper wires proved that somehow my main connection was still bad, even though it looked great.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:43 PM

Lightbulb headlamp module issues

my 1994 formula never had a problem with headlamps except that they were slowly starting to strip, but then all in one night one headlight would go down and come back up, then the other one did, and then i lost my dash lights and all head light control, they are manually up now, and the lights turn on, but they wont go up or down. the motors can be hard wired to twelve volts and they cycle fine, so i know the motors arnt bad, which leads me to the module, it was coroded pretty bad, so i cleaned it, still nothing, and i saw where the back panel was coming off so i peeled it off to find the computer board to be coroded and had a burnt looking spot on it, but when i attach the plugs from the harness, i can hear the solenoid click, could the module still be bad or should i just scrap the whole thing and use linear accuaitors
Old 03-21-2012, 11:27 AM
Teching In

Having problems with my son's 2000 TA - head lights sometimes will not come up, but the lights are on! I have changed the motors about three months ago - first used brass gears, but housing can apart and lost gear. Also, is there any place you can buy new connectors or harness for the motors (car side, not motor).
Old 03-23-2012, 02:19 PM
Launching!

hey guys i've recently replaced my headlight motor and it was working perfect...now one headlight wont come up. i haven't tried on/off a few times but i checked the fuse and it was fine (light still turns on just wont pop up), also the motor doesnt make any noises...any ideas what it could be? i figured its stuck on something or motor completly burned out somehow?? checked all around the motor and dont see anything hung on it. and i cant get it to come up manually either. i may be doing it wrong but dont you just turn the **** on top of the motor with a allen wrench? or do i need to disconnect something before turning it?
Old 03-23-2012, 02:32 PM
12 Second Club

for someone that cannot fix their problem or their linkage is mangled to the point the controller cannot function properly.

would it be easier to just run a three way toggle under the dash or next to the cigarette lighter to manually raise and lower them?
Old 03-23-2012, 02:46 PM
Launching!

Default headlight wont come up

*looked at the headlight thread and no answer*
hey guys i've recently replaced my headlight motor and it was working perfect...now one headlight wont come up. i haven't tried on/off a few times but i checked the fuses and it was fine (light still turns on just wont pop up), also the motor doesnt make any noises...any ideas what it could be? i figured its stuck on something or motor completly burned out somehow?? checked all around the motor and dont see anything hung on it. and i cant get it to come up manually either. i may be doing it wrong but dont you just turn the **** on top of the motor with a allen wrench? or do i need to disconnect something before turning it?
Old 03-24-2012, 02:28 AM
Launching!

anyone?
Old 03-24-2012, 02:34 AM
Teching In

its not getting jammed anywhere? isnt there a relay for it?
Old 03-24-2012, 09:01 AM
Staging Lane

If you can't raise it by hand, you have a problem with the motor itself, or the linkage is messed up and binding.
I would verify not being able to raise the headlamp manually, then go from there.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:32 AM
Launching!

exactly how do you raise the headlamp manually? i want to be sure im doing it right...just twist the **** right? nothing needs to be disconnected
Old 03-24-2012, 11:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WSex
its not getting jammed anywhere? isnt there a relay for it?
i think just a fuse...if theres a relay i didnt see it
Old 03-24-2012, 12:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by armintheman
exactly how do you raise the headlamp manually? i want to be sure im doing it right...just twist the **** right? nothing needs to be disconnected
That larger hole in the panel just above your head light is where you manually crank the headlight up. There is a rubber cap on the motor, and you have to remove that before you try to twist the head light up. You twist it counter-clockwise to get it to come up, I think.

If it won't come up, then the gears inside your motor were thrashed and is the cause of your issue, however, since you said the motor doesn't make noise, it's likely the motor itself is burnt out.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:49 PM
JJT
On The Tree

Default Help on free temp fix for headlight issue

I got the up, down and grinding noise on the right headlight on my 2000 TA. I tried the temp fix.

But the raiser/lower arm won't budge and come off the motor shaft after I took the nut off. I sprayed 3-36 multipurpose oil on it, waited five minutes and still wouldn't come off. 10 minutes still wouldn't budge. It feels like if I force it, it will break.

I noticed on the step by step guide the pictures are an older model or camaro. Does that got anything to do with it. I got three screws, not four on the headlight trim cover. Any help, please?
Old 03-25-2012, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JJT
I got the up, down and grinding noise on the right headlight on my 2000 TA. I tried the temp fix.

But the raiser/lower arm won't budge and come off the motor shaft after I took the nut off. I sprayed 3-36 multipurpose oil on it, waited five minutes and still wouldn't come off. 10 minutes still wouldn't budge. It feels like if I force it, it will break.

I noticed on the step by step guide the pictures are an older model or camaro. Does that got anything to do with it. I got three screws, not four on the headlight trim cover. Any help, please?
I did the same thing last month. Those instructions worked fine for me except for some minor details like you mentioned. For the most part it was pretty simple, took me about 30 mins with an extra set of hands. That raise/lower arm wouldn't budge for me either so I ended up tapping it off with a screw driver and mallet. Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE