Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok guys I've never heard of anything like this the kid that had my 2000 Transam before me put some kind of timer in with a button and this is no simple bypass of the light switch the button only closes the lights but the timer system has two circuit boards back to back with a dip switch and timer controls I just want to know if anybody's seen this
Old 06-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Teching In

I did the temp fix and it worked fine for the first few times and then not even a day later it makes the grinding noise when the headlight is going UP.

It no longer opens and closes when I lock or unlock the car but when I turn the lights on the side where I did the temp fix goes up and tries to keep going up or something as it vibrates loudly for about 5-6 seconds. Basically the opposite of what was happening before the temp fix.

Is this because the gear is worn out on both sides? I made sure everything was tightly secured back on.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:20 AM
Staging Lane

The gear is worn out, i just had the same problem replaced them both with new plastic gears and they stripped themselves again, so i replaced them with the aluminized gears and they have been working great ever since took me about 30 mins to do both sides and i used a zip tie with the epoxy to hold the case together. All you need is 2 10mm wrenches and a torx or a set of pliers to hold the bold from spinning. really really simple stuff
Old 07-11-2012, 04:23 PM
Teching In

Default Pontiac Firebird 2001 Alternating Headlights

HELP!! okay my Passenger side headlight motor went out this weekend i went out and replaced the motor with a refurbished one for $63 at orileys my friend had the same problem and replaced his like a year ago so I knew what I was doing. I Got the motor in and everything BUT the problem is now that when I turn on my lights my driver side goes up like normal but the passenger stays down BUT!!!!! when I turn off my lights the Driver side goes down like normal and the PASSENGER Side goes UP!!! WTF!! I literally spent 4 hours trying to figure this out last night we even compared to my friends passenger side trans am and the arms move the same the wires are the same and everything please help! Pontiac Firebird 2001 Alternating Headlights
Old 07-11-2012, 11:46 PM
Staging Lane

when I Turn on my headlights on low beams both the high and low beams come on but the highs are very dim, and one of the low beams is dimmer than the other.
Finally when i turn on my brights only one side high beam works.
I cleaned the connectors on the radiator support but they were not even corroded or anything. I was thinking it would be a ground from what ive read but I really dont know...

I manually flipped up the lights on the drivers side and took off the plastic surrounding the lights(under the metal cover) and found two connectors unplugged to anything. they are male, i cant see anything they would go to i think they are pigtail connectors. But now both the drivers side lights dont work at all and they dont flip up or down!!! Im making it worse. I quit for the night cuz the mosquitoes were ridiculous. I dont know what the deal is, im about to tear it all out and rewire everything.
Help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-15-2012, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

Ok, so... This is my issue.

First the driver side headlight was doing the grinding sound... Ok I can deal with that. Then out of the blue my passenger light decided not to go up. So I decided to be a cheap *** and do the 180 swap. Now driverside grinds when in up position instead, both lights fail to go fully up ( they go about 2/3 of the way), and if you grab the lids there is almost an inch of play. So I tried to readjust everything to no avail. Does this sound like my motors are just toast? I'm really getting sick of the electrical issues with these cars and am getting ready to get rid of the kickin chicken.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:06 PM

Default headlight wiring issues

ok so i have a 1982 firebird v8 350 im having issues with the wiring for my lights the wiring under the hood reads hot when i tested so it has power but the wire from the switch isnt did this year start doing inline fuses or is it just a straight wire ?
Old 07-18-2012, 10:33 PM
Teching In

In my 2002 TA, Last week the headlight motor started to grind. I have not had time to do the quick fix but have only used the lights a handfull of times. I used it tonight drove about 1 mile ate dinner, drove 1 mile home and when I turned off the headlight the drivers side was still grinding, but the passenger side sayed up...........? Any one ever seen this? what should I do?
Old 07-20-2012, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Not sure if this one has been mentioned in here yet. During the morning and evening when it's not dark, i usually just run my fog lights and keep the headlights down...never had a problem before but for whatever reason, they now open up in the parking light position where as before, i had to turn the switch all the way to get them to come up. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-20-2012, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

DRL module??
Old 07-20-2012, 09:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

nope .... its related to the gears.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

^^^dangit, yeah, my driver side is making noise when it goes down.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:35 PM
Teching In

I've used wd40 on everything right down to roller-skate bearings. Thing is, it seems to remove all the lubricant/oil too...allowing for pre-mature oxidation

Posted from LS1Tech.com App for Android
Old 07-29-2012, 05:32 PM
Staging Lane

Anybody know where i can get the female headlight motor connector pigtail( i think its 5 pin)?
or part number?

Last edited by SinisterBirdWS6; 07-29-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:02 PM

My driver side headlight started making the grinding sound. I've pulled it apart and did the 180 on the gear. Here is my issue, I am trying to put the raise bar back but it won't go through. I can get it through the threaded part, but can't seem to place it on the base. Anyone know what I can do?
Old 08-29-2012, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Default Another headlight issue

Hey guys, i hope this is still the correct place to post this. A few months ago i replaced the drivers side headlight gear and it immediately began getting wonkey on me. First it would not go down, then wouldn't go up. Looked at everything and finally realized that i re-installed the bolts the wrong way and it looked like the lever was hitting the end of the bolt, so i reinstalled them correctly, and for about a week it was doing fine. Now the drivers side will not come up unless i pop the hood, lift up on the lid and manually turn the motor a little bit. Do not have to lift it all the way, maybe one full revolution and then it will come up via the switch. I don't think im missing any of the stoppers for it. Any ideas?
Old 09-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Teching In

just make sure your gear housing is put together well, because the previous owner had put a new metal gear in and the glue applied broke and it fell apart getting this grinding noise!
Old 09-11-2012, 07:01 PM
12 Second Club

Alright I've been using the search but haven't come up with my specific problem. I just replace my headlight motor today and now I have a different problem. I can bring up the headlights up and close them. And then after 5-10 seconds or so, my driver side headlight will go up and stay up. I can work the switch back and forth and it usually takes several times before it will go back down (sometimes neither will go back down when I turn them off) but then the driver side will pop right back up. Now I can manually lower it, but only when I pull the fuse for that motor. And at the same time, the motor gets hot as hell like it's straining and overworking. I'm thinking my headlight control module might be bad?
Old 10-01-2012, 01:16 PM

Default 2000 Firebird Headlights running opposite

Originally Posted by vanveldhuizenc
My car has the same problem and I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out why?!?! I did the 180 gear flip fix and the motor sounds fine and stops excatly where it should Its just in the opposite position as my pass. which works perfectly with my switch.

I've tried to manually run it back down when I turn the switch off but it just sits there when I turn the switch on. Everything worked fine b4 my gear stripped out Please HELP
Okay this is insanely frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am having the same exact issue. I just replaced the motor on the passenger side headlight, and they will not sync. I start them both out either down or up, turn the switch, the driver side does what it is supposed to, the passenger side does nothing until the next switch, thus making them run opposite. If I leave them opposite and turn the switch it works on the first try keeping them out of sync. I have tried manually syncing, pulling the fuse on the passenger side, and unplugging the headlight brain assembly. Please help! Thanks...
Old 10-06-2012, 12:35 AM

Default Head lights problems

2002 Firebired Formilla :about a week ago driver side high beam stops working, check list : light bulb was OK, fuses OK socket looks OK , Multi meter reading around 12 volts just like the other side that is working, but not enough AMPS to turn the light bulb on , that means there is resistance some where or bad connection checked the wiring harness for the motor & Lights assembly , open the lights door, then disconnect the battery terminal , take out the plastic cover around the high & low beams three phillips screws to takeout so you can have access to the harness back there, opened the wiring harness cleaned it out with electric parts cleaner dry it out , there was some grease but no corrosion, put it back to gather , connect the battery test the light & boom now its working,
Conclusion: since this only happen to one side and I did find some melted black stuff at the socket not the harness and I know I changed that high beam before it was H4701 XV ( extra vision which means a little brighter than OEM so maybe that got hotter than the wires could handle, moisture got in there , so now I did changed the High beam socket from Autozone for $3.99, also changed the high beam bulb to the Original which I found at O’Reilly Auto Parts ( H4701) for $12.99 now everything works OK.

Last edited by MikeTALS; 10-06-2012 at 12:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE