Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 09:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wssix99
The AZ schematic is also linked here in post #1838.

Your problems sound a lot like module issues. If one of your motors acts up, try opening the hood and letting it slam shut. Does the headlight open up when you do this?
Historically that hasn't changed anything. It doesn't hurt to try again tho.

Is there another way to test the module? We simple took the module out of its case and tested the continuity of it with a multimeter on the back of the board with all the wires connected, and the light switch on.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:57 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Majozak
Is there another way to test the module? We simple took the module out of its case and tested the continuity of it with a multimeter on the back of the board with all the wires connected, and the light switch on.
The problem is that if there's a transient connection in the module, you may or may not find it. (It's hit or miss.) The only way to "see" the problem is to wiggle terminals and parts around under magnification.

Slamming the hood puts in a vibration that can cause connections to be made in the module, which just makes it an easy indication that there's a break in the module circuit.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:39 PM
Staging Lane

The problem is that if there's a transient connection in the module, you may or may not find it. (It's hit or miss.) The only way to "see" the problem is to wiggle terminals and parts around under magnification.

Slamming the hood puts in a vibration that can cause connections to be made in the module, which just makes it an easy indication that there's a break in the module circuit.
Makes sense. Should I just knock on the plastic case of the module to see if it makes a difference?
Old 03-28-2018, 05:39 PM
Save the manuals!

Makes sense. Should I just knock on the plastic case of the module to see if it makes a difference?
You can. That worked for me when I had your symptoms, also. Just knock on the case hard from a few directions. Slowly wiggling the connectors going into the module may also help.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:36 PM
Staging Lane

You can. That worked for me when I had your symptoms, also. Just knock on the case hard from a few directions. Slowly wiggling the connectors going into the module may also help.
Ok so knocking on it didn't do anything.

We hard wired the 12v battery charger directly into the headlight motor and while under load it barely moves the headlight up and when moving it down it still drops slowly.

Sounds like a bad motor?

The passenger headlight appears to be working like a charm still.

I'm thinking that I'll order a new motor to test that and see if it makes a difference. Would you agree with that? And do you prefer a particular source?

I read about Hawksmotorsports.com in another post.

Last edited by Majozak; 04-01-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:19 PM
Save the manuals!

Don't know. You'd need to trace circuits with a voltmeter. Testing the motor on the car still has many variables in the equation.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

Don't know. You'd need to trace circuits with a voltmeter. Testing the motor on the car still has many variables in the equation.
WS, any thoughts on new vs. used replacement headlight motors?
Old 04-24-2018, 10:19 AM
Save the manuals!

WS, any thoughts on new vs. used replacement headlight motors?
Lots. The new Cardones (with the screw-on gear covers) are well worth going new:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ght-doors.html

I understand that the wiring and wire sealing issues I had (a while back) may be corrected now.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:48 PM
Staging Lane

Lots. The new Cardones (with the screw-on gear covers) are well worth going new:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ght-doors.html

I understand that the wiring and wire sealing issues I had (a while back) may be corrected now.
Thanks.

So Cardone PN# 82-9124H and 82-9125H on Rock Auto is what I see. That sound right to you?
Old 04-26-2018, 06:13 AM
Save the manuals!

That's what I have.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:01 AM
Staging Lane

That's what I have.
Thanks I'll give er a go
Old 05-06-2018, 05:39 PM
Staging Lane

That's what I have.
Bought that exact motor, replaced and tested, but no luck. Gonna order a used headlight control module. Likely from Hawksmotorsports.

My fingers are crossed that this will fix it.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

That's what I have.
New motor didn't work and I bought a used headlight control module which was tested in a working car prior to shipment from Hawks motorsports, which also did not work...

Any other suggestions?

To recap, ive replaced the male and female connectors, both wires going to the bulbs, replaced the motor and now replaced the headlight control module.

My father isn't an auto mechanic but he works on electronics and such for work and he helped trace power in and out of the old headlight control module and power through the pins leading up to the motor. Everything seemed fine there unless we weren't doing something correctly.

Last edited by Majozak; 05-13-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:05 PM
Save the manuals!

Any other suggestions?
You've changed too many things to continue with the same course of action, so you need start over from the start.

What is your status? The lights come on but both don't pop up? Is it all the time or intermittent?

If your headlights come on, I'd first go back, unplug the motors and then put 12V and ground to the red/black motor wires to see how they come up.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:19 PM
Staging Lane

You've changed too many things to continue with the same course of action, so you need start over from the start.

What is your status? The lights come on but both don't pop up? Is it all the time or intermittent?

If your headlights come on, I'd first go back, unplug the motors and then put 12V and ground to the red/black motor wires to see how they come up.
Lights come on, passenger light pops up each time, drivers does not. The drivers side also does not go down on its own. It used to at some point.

The set up we have is for a lil 12v battery charger. Will that be sufficient to put power to the light to operate it well enough? Idk how many amps are necessary or if I'm even asking the question appropriately.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:36 AM
Save the manuals!

The set up we have is for a lil 12v battery charger. Will that be sufficient to put power to the light to operate it well enough? Idk how many amps are necessary or if I'm even asking the question appropriately.
Get two 5' lengths of wire. You have a giant 12V battery just sitting there in the passenger side of the engine bay!
Old 05-23-2018, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2001 Trans Am WS6
What would cause both headlights to stop opening at the same time? Is there a fuse that goes to both? Looked like they had separate fuses from what I saw.. The headlights still turn on, and I can hear a noise when I turn them on, they just don't rise. I did check both fuses, though.

I'm searching, but there's so many threads about the gears or bulbs or just one headlight moving which is making it pretty tough to find info
Old 05-24-2018, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mellor_21
2001 Trans Am WS6
What would cause both headlights to stop opening at the same time? Is there a fuse that goes to both? Looked like they had separate fuses from what I saw.. The headlights still turn on, and I can hear a noise when I turn them on, they just don't rise. I did check both fuses, though.

I'm searching, but there's so many threads about the gears or bulbs or just one headlight moving which is making it pretty tough to find info
It's weird you hear noise. Can you put a meter on the motors and confirm if they are getting power when you cycle on or off?

The only things I can think of that could cause this would be a fault control module or the switch.

There is a headlight control module, do a search for firebird headlight module and you will see what I'm talking about.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gnomee
It's weird you hear noise. Can you put a meter on the motors and confirm if they are getting power when you cycle on or off?

The only things I can think of that could cause this would be a fault control module or the switch.

There is a headlight control module, do a search for firebird headlight module and you will see what I'm talking about.
Thanks!! I'm finding a bunch of info from that, with a lot of threads leading back to this one lol. Tried smacking the module as some recommend but no dice, but saw others talk about testing for power at certain spots to identify the issue so I'll give that a shot. Good ol' process of elimination.

I believe the switch is fine since the lights are turning on; the housings just aren't popping up.

Here's the noise it makes:
https://dl2.pushbulletusercontent.co...lightNoise.mp4

Last edited by mellor_21; 05-25-2018 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:51 PM
Staging Lane

Get two 5' lengths of wire. You have a giant 12V battery just sitting there in the passenger side of the engine bay!
Motor works. Thoughts?

Could I have an issue with the connectors leaving the headlight control module?

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE