Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Oh joy more fun ahead!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 11:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 358 Likes on 270 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Oh joy more fun ahead!

This is not really a cry for help but more bitch fit from a frustrated weekend wrencher.

Blackbyrd with 414 from sig

Turns a 3.8 auto car into a 414 lsx with a manual car starting in 05 gets finished around 08 with a couple of tunes that are not quite right and kept saying i would get it back to a dyno and finalize it.......than I lost my job and it got parked and not neglected but ignored.

Last year got a great job and with some fun money coming in I started the journey of completing this car. obviously after being ignored for that long it had some issues the easiest of which were an oil change and a new battery. Some fuel pressure issues along with some fouled plugs and melted plug wires.

In the past 3 months I have relocated coils packs and the battery, installed a new set of coilovers (bye QA1 hello Ridetech) and noticed a weird throttle response when I tried to go drive it (never made it out of the garage) still havn't drove on my new coilover setup. Installed a wideband as well just so I could see where she was at.

In the past 3 weeks with the help of a friend I identified 2 issues. Using his HP tuners software we noticed the bank 2 sensor 1 O2 was dead and that bank 2 was over fueling (tyring to reach stoich AFR most likely) but with no feed back other than lean (stuck at .230 milivolts and fluctuates very little) so bank 2 is double bank 1 in regards to injector pulse. No biggy O2's are cheap these days so I throw a bosch in and use my handheld to get it into closed loop. Still flat, with that much fuel going into it i thought maybe I fried it so I switched O2's around and the issue still stayed with bank 2. I have a stand alone harness from my swap so I pull that section of the harness up into the engine bay and check for scars or exposed wire. Nothing, I do a continuity test on the connector, no issues. I do a continuity test on the ecm itself no issues checked every pin with it back and forth no issue. So at this point I have eliminated it down to the ECM itself.

This is where it gets fun, since I have a 98 ecm Im a bit stuck unless I want to repin the hole harness. which is something I can do no problem other than the work itself will be a pain since my ecm is not in the engine bay anymore. My father in law has a ecm that is a red and blue ls ecm thats from a 5.7 car ( ECM # 16220610 service number 093548960), but to use it I will have to repin the entire harness since its a 99 up.

So im stuck trying to either get another 98 ECM for an easy swap......or go through hell for a free ECM.

This car has been a never ending battle it seems.

Last edited by blackbyrd; 08-04-2015 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

so you are saying you need a 98 ECM from a 3.8???

If so I can go to the scrapyard this week and get one
Old 08-04-2015, 07:23 AM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

No I can see how what I wrote is a bit confusing.

Car started off as a 2001 3.8 auto. When j swapped to a v8 I bought a pull out ls1 took all the sensors and covers off it to go with the harness and ecm which is from a 98 ls1 car..camaro I believe.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:44 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Did you check the ecm connectors for corrosion/breaks?
Old 08-04-2015, 08:57 AM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

Yeah when I was doing the continuity tests at the ecm end of the harness I was inspecting the wires. All was clean. I was really hoping for something simple causing my issue but I have traced it all the way to the ecm itself. Which is actually located in my glove box, so If I have to repin it I will likely have to take the dash off. cause there isnt really enough slack to do it just in the glove box. Its a stand alone harness from Street and performance that I bought new in 06-07 I think so it all looks brand new
Old 08-04-2015, 10:44 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
....When j swapped to a v8 I bought a pull out ls1 took all the sensors and covers off it to go with the harness and ecm which is from a 98 ls1 car..camaro I believe.
Originally Posted by blackbyrd
....Its a stand alone harness from Street and performance that I bought new in 06-07 I think so it all looks brand new
So which harness are you using? The gauges operate differently between a 1998 harness and your 2001 car.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:39 AM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

it was a custom job from street and performance built for a 98 ECM but with a 5 pin maf and the map sensor (ls1 style) relocated to the front of the Intake manifold since Im running a ls3 intake.

the harness had signal out puts to the gauges but I used aftermarket gauges with their own sending units with the exception of the speedo and tach. Imagine someone doing a hybrid conversion on an older car and thats how my swap was done. I used very little of the factory controls for this car. I could probably get rid of most of the relays and controls in the fuse boxes in the engine bay I just havent taken the time to do it. I think I could literally consolidate it all to one box now if I really wanted to go through and do it.

Thanks for chiming in guys. I think what I have decided to do is contact a company called pci conversions. I can get a new ecm flashed to my vin mailed to me for $200. That beats the hell out of taking my dash out and repinning the entire harness.

I think if I do it that way i wont even have to buy new credits to put my tune back on it.

Last edited by blackbyrd; 08-05-2015 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:58 AM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

So PSI doesnt do 97-98 ECMS.......

looks im gonna have some serious fun. though some searching leads to thinking it wont be so bad. It seems a lot of the repinning that goes on is due to the body harness of the 98 not being compatible with the 99+ so I have 2 things on my side. A that its stand alone so there may be less involved than I thought and B the car is already a 99+ car...
Old 08-22-2016, 10:20 AM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

so life got in they way had a kid all that stuff and this has set for another year, and while reading a thread on here about someone having issues with their stand alone harness a thought occurred to me. The harness has its own fuse block, and in that block are fuses for the O2 sensors. Low and behold one was popped, Im not 100% positive it was an o2 fuse but as there are only 7 fuses on the harness and the car starts and runs, but im having o2 reading lean issue which is causing over fueling on passenger side ......im doing some guess work here until I have time to start the car and diagnosis it again. Of course the battery was dead so I couldnt go any further after replacing the fuse.

That said a blown fuse makes more sense than a random pin on the ECM malfuntioning and causing my issue. Considering the options I feel its unlikely the fuse could belong to another component if it were injectors or coils it wouldnt be running at all.

Quick Reply: Oh joy more fun ahead!