Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Bad Alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bad Alternator?

Hey everyone have a quick question. I've had my trans am since new (16 years ago) and had the alternator replaced a couple of times....most recently I've noticed when I'm really "into" the throttle that the battery gauge dips down into the yellow, and the lights start to dim. Is this a sign that the alternator is on it's way out? How easy are they to change out? And if it is bad any particular replacement you would suggest? Thanks for any help!
Old 06-28-2016, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Just a thought, are you sure the belt aint slipping or anything like that?
Old 06-28-2016, 03:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do end up replacing it go ahead and do the KG3 alternator upgrade.

Here is a link to the thread on it:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...failure-s.html
Old 06-28-2016, 03:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about this for a coincidence? I clicked on "New Posts" to check it out and came across another person who is having a similar issue.

Link:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/chevrolet...cal-issue.html

Potential fix

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I had a similar issue with my '98 about 10 years ago. Happened exactly the same way, and could NOT be duplicated with engine revving in park/neutral (only under load, either power braking or acceleration.) After a ton of diagnostics, I noticed that there is a woven copper ground strap that runs right near the alternator on its way to the frame, and this ground strap was contacting the top of the alternator case. Under load, it would scrape across the alternator body near the open vents, and I guess this would somehow interrupt charging. All I did was wrap this ground strap in plastic wire loom and zip tie it up a bit higher to stay off the alternator case and the problem was instantly solved, hasn't come back in the last decade. The car was about 7-8 years old when this suddenly started and I hadn't done any work in that vicinity, I have no idea why it took so long to be a problem. It's a free and easy thing to check, hopefully it turns out to be that simple.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

My lights and gauges used to flicker and dim down. It also did what you describe. I swapped to a powermaster 150a alternator and all was good.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
My lights and gauges used to flicker and dim down. It also did what you describe. I swapped to a powermaster 150a alternator and all was good.
You have a link to said alternator?
Old 06-28-2016, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bleepster
Just a thought, are you sure the belt aint slipping or anything like that?
belt looks good from what I can tell not loose at all.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I too put a 145amp alternator in my T/A when the stocker died right around 100k. I read that you need a larger belt and I ended up having to go up to a 81 inch.

It just so happens to be the same belt that fits a 5th gen Camaro SS.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:40 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

With a good battery, the voltage should stay up even when a belt is slipping, so I would think this indicates a bad alternator.

At 16 years, the original alternator has lead a very long and fruitful life. This proves that there is nothing wrong with the stock size alternator. What we have is a major problem with junk reman and replacement alternators on the market. To avoid grief, all you need is a quality unit - no matter the size. Powermaster is renown for this and I have not seen one fail on one of our site members yet.

There is no such thing as a "free lunch" and larger alternators are no exception. A larger alternator (that has capacity that we'll never use!!!) just creates inefficiency and adds weight to the car. The "truck" alternators are not necessarily a more durable design - they are just bigger. (and more inefficient for us)

Powermaster makes a 120A stock design alternator, which has a little higher capacity than our stock units. They also have higher capacity units in the same case if one has the need for special electronics, engine mods, etc.

Quick Reply: Bad Alternator?