Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

got a Ws6 hood for my Formula

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 04:34 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 337 Likes on 309 Posts

For posterity, here's another thread on wheel types. Y2K TA has an attachment of the pre '01 wheel styles and Demonspeed has his commentary about my wheels sucking...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/special-e...0-01-02-a.html
Old 10-10-2016, 08:01 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,146 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
...and Demonspeed has his commentary about my wheels sucking...
You should issue him an infraction for that.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:46 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
You should issue him an infraction for that.
Oh, his post was a long long time ago - when he was just a new member.

Plus, they were just words; not actions. (I learned that last night...) So, I guess if he actually sucked my wheels instead of just saying they sucked; we'd have a problem.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Did you ever ask to see (or see a picture of) the SPID sticker for any of these cars that are claimed to be a WS6 and also an NHRA edition? I ask because I don't see how this could be possible either. RPO 1SH includes the P05 chrome 16x8 wheels and QLC 245/50/16 tires - neither of which were available on a WS6 car. In fact, the WS6 option is specifically listed as "N/A w/Wheels-P05" (which are the exact wheels used in the 1SH package.) Unless the package content or ordering options changed after model year 2000 (which I'm almost positive it didn't), I don't see how anyone could have ordered both packages stock. Anyone making this claim would have to show a valid SPID with both RPOs as proof, otherwise I wouldn't take it seriously.

No I never actually talked to these people, just a friend of mine mentioned one guy who claimed to have bought his car new and ordered the NHRA edition as a WS6. This SOM WS6 is the car I was talking about, this guy has several trans ams, and bought this new. I know Pontiac never offered the NHRA edition on any SOM cars but I'm wondering if the NHRA badges might have also been a dealer add on kind of thing also. Why else would someone just slap on some NHRA edition badges, I could see turning your base TA or formula into a WS6, but just adding badges to an existing WS6 doesn't really make sense to me. Also there is this black TA that I used to see in Rolling Meadows, has some of the NHRA badges and appears to be a WS6..probably just another mish mosh of badges also.

this picture was taken in 2010, car had very low miles and was mostly all stock aside from catback exhaust
Name:  IMAG0083_zpsewucjl7l.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  113.0 KB

Name:  20130406_122709_zpsj5vn1hjp.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  311.8 KB
Old 10-11-2016, 03:57 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by BFK86
This SOM WS6 is the car I was talking about, this guy has several trans ams, and bought this new. I know Pontiac never offered the NHRA edition on any SOM cars but I'm wondering if the NHRA badges might have also been a dealer add on kind of thing also. Why else would someone just slap on some NHRA edition badges, I could see turning your base TA or formula into a WS6, but just adding badges to an existing WS6 doesn't really make sense to me.
I may have seen this car before, does he also have an early 2nd gen Trans Am (I think it's blue or white/blue), plus one or two others? And his girlfriend has an early '70s Mach 1?

If he insists it was delivered to him that way, then I would suspect it was some kind of dealer-installed thing as well. He may have tried to place the order, and when GM rejected it the dealer may have just offered to order the items separately and do the install - or maybe the dealer did so and just didn't tell him, leading him to believe it was done on the assembly line. Regardless, the SPID would tell the true story. If he's the original owner, he should also have the window sticker as proof.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

I may have seen this car before, does he also have an early 2nd gen Trans Am (I think it's blue or white/blue), plus one or two others? And his girlfriend has an early '70s Mach 1?

If he insists it was delivered to him that way, then I would suspect it was some kind of dealer-installed thing as well. He may have tried to place the order, and when GM rejected it the dealer may have just offered to order the items separately and do the install - or maybe the dealer did so and just didn't tell him, leading him to believe it was done on the assembly line. Regardless, the SPID would tell the true story. If he's the original owner, he should also have the window sticker as proof.
Yeah thats the guy, he has a few older T/As. I thought i remember hearing he was the original owner of the orange TA. But yeah clearly its not an actual NHRA, based on the color and improper placement of the badge on the tail light center piece..just wonder why he's trying to pass it off as one. who knows...
Old 10-12-2016, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That looks fantastic. I own a natural WS6, and I love all the F-body birds... The V6 to the Hawk. What I like about the Formula (before the Ram-Air hood) is non-car people don't know what you're driving until you Bill Cosby their car from a dig. Well, unless you have a cam and big pipes, then that's kind of a give away... lol
Old 10-12-2016, 06:41 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

..just wonder why he's trying to pass it off as one. who knows...
This hobby is just like any other, you get people who are either ignorant (in general, or regarding claims made by dealers/previous owners looking to make a sale) or are BS'ers. Ignorance is understandable, we all had to start somewhere and nobody knows everything, but when they know better or have been informed of the contrary but then make no effort to confirm the truth on their own, they become just another BS'er.

When it comes to much older cars though, there is a lot more gray area. Just because the GM literature and common accepted knowledge state that something isn't possible, doesn't mean it didn't happen. If you or your dealer had special connections at GM, you could sometimes get things that shouldn't have been possible. Sometimes options were checked on an order sheet that weren't supposed to be combined, but the dealer would send it through and the assembly line would do it anyway. There are a TON of fake claims of this nature for sure, but a few of them are legitimate and only documentation can prove it. In terms of modern cars (4th gen definitely included) however, this isn't the case. Everything is much more regimented due to standardization of VINs, automation on the assembly line, EPA and safety certifications, options grouped into packages, etc.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

This hobby is just like any other, you get people who are either ignorant (in general, or regarding claims made by dealers/previous owners looking to make a sale) or are BS'ers. Ignorance is understandable, we all had to start somewhere and nobody knows everything, but when they know better or have been informed of the contrary but then make no effort to confirm the truth on their own, they become just another BS'er.

When it comes to much older cars though, there is a lot more gray area. Just because the GM literature and common accepted knowledge state that something isn't possible, doesn't mean it didn't happen. If you or your dealer had special connections at GM, you could sometimes get things that shouldn't have been possible. Sometimes options were checked on an order sheet that weren't supposed to be combined, but the dealer would send it through and the assembly line would do it anyway. There are a TON of fake claims of this nature for sure, but a few of them are legitimate and only documentation can prove it. In terms of modern cars (4th gen definitely included) however, this isn't the case. Everything is much more regimented due to standardization of VINs, automation on the assembly line, EPA and safety certifications, options grouped into packages, etc.
oh yeah i totally agree, 40-50 years ago it was alot easier to get a one off built car from the factory with odd ball option combinations, unlike now whete everything is made into an option package. I'm led to believe he got those stickers from the dealer when bought new and either had them put them on or did it himself.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SouthernRex
That looks fantastic. I own a natural WS6, and I love all the F-body birds... The V6 to the Hawk. What I like about the Formula (before the Ram-Air hood) is non-car people don't know what you're driving until you Bill Cosby their car from a dig. Well, unless you have a cam and big pipes, then that's kind of a give away... lol
yeah i kinda ruined the sleeper feel with the hood but it already had the ws6 wheels when i got it and i put headers and exhaust on soon after buying it. But ive had several people ask "is that the V8 or V6"? lol so..those that know 4th gens know what it is anyway.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah i kinda ruined the sleeper feel with the hood but it already had the ws6 wheels when i got it and i put headers and exhaust on soon after buying it. But ive had several people ask "is that the V8 or V6"? lol so..those that know 4th gens know what it is anyway.
Hell yeah lol. Are you going to seal up the hood to your airbox and all that fun stuff?
Old 10-13-2016, 07:20 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find it funny how we all gossip and know where every 4th gen Trans Am is located from their area within a 100 mile radius and what other cars those people drive and what not. When the wife or others gossip about about people personal lives, I couldnt care less but when it comes to cars, its a different story. Lol If that makes sense.

I live in Canada, I literally can count the 4th gens on my one hand. It is really rare/impressive to see one when you do see one pass by.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SouthernRex
Hell yeah lol. Are you going to seal up the hood to your airbox and all that fun stuff?
I have to get a WS6 airbox to really make use of the ram air hood, I still have the original airbox in there.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WS6wanted
I find it funny how we all gossip and know where every 4th gen Trans Am is located from their area within a 100 mile radius and what other cars those people drive and what not. When the wife or others gossip about about people personal lives, I couldnt care less but when it comes to cars, its a different story. Lol If that makes sense.

I live in Canada, I literally can count the 4th gens on my one hand. It is really rare/impressive to see one when you do see one pass by.
Oh yeah i know where most of the fbodys are in my area, even before i had my car i kept tabs on alot of different TAs and formulas..i have so many pictures from my old phones of unique fbodys around me lol.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:46 PM
Save the manuals!

I have to get a WS6 airbox to really make use of the ram air hood, I still have the original airbox in there.
There's nothing special about the WS6 airbox. I'm pretty sure its exactly the same as all other V8's. There are companies who make kits that seal up to the hood with condoms, duct tape, etc. so that no air escapes in between the hood and air box, which is claimed to build additional air pressure. (But the hood already does that - my understanding is that these extra kits just "turn it up to eleven.")
Old 10-13-2016, 03:05 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by WS6wanted

I am guilty of this. I've been in the 4th gen hobby for so long that I've probably forgotten more of the local cars than I can still remember. However I still remember quite a few. What throws me off is when cars change hands; people should stop buying/selling and just keep their cars until the end of time, like wssix99.

There's nothing special about the WS6 airbox. I'm pretty sure its exactly the same as all other V8's. There are companies who make kits that seal up to the hood with condoms, duct tape, etc. so that no air escapes in between the hood and air box, which is claimed to build additional air pressure. (But the hood already does that - my understanding is that these extra kits just "turn it up to eleven.")
I think he's just talking about the lower air box/core support piece. It's raised on the WS6 cars, the larger opening allows more flow from the hood.

Brian Greene used to make an excellent kit for sealing these up. I think those have been off the market for over a decade now, but they were really top notch kits. I bought one back in 2000-01 and it installed and looked like stock. I've still got a couple spare gaskets for it I think.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think he's just talking about the lower air box/core support piece. It's raised on the WS6 cars, the larger opening allows more flow from the hood.

Brian Greene used to make an excellent kit for sealing these up. I think those have been off the market for over a decade now, but they were really top notch kits. I bought one back in 2000-01 and it installed and looked like stock. I've still got a couple spare gaskets for it I think.

Yeah I meant the lower Airbox base, the WS6 base is about an inch taller.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:48 PM
Save the manuals!

What throws me off is when cars change hands; people should stop buying/selling and just keep their cars until the end of time, like wssix99.
You'll pry it "from my cold dead hands!"

Interesting, I've seen a number of kits. Some better than others. I've never been a fan of the ones that put the sheet metal baffle over the radiator. (I have to think that has some unintended consequences in other places.) Here's a thread on the kits:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...t-anymore.html
Old 10-14-2016, 12:04 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Interesting, I've seen a number of kits. Some better than others. I've never been a fan of the ones that put the sheet metal baffle over the radiator. (I have to think that has some unintended consequences in other places.) Here's a thread on the kits:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...t-anymore.html
I just can't speak highly enough of the BG (Brian Greene) kit. If you've ever seen one installed, you would think it was supposed to come that way from the factory. No sheet metal baffle, nothing that looked unsightly or even like an afterthought - it looked like OE engineering. It worked great too, brought IATs down considerably at idle and lower speeds, not to mention the benefits of slight pressurization at higher speeds with a true, sealed ram air system such as this.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:41 PM
Save the manuals!

It worked great too, brought IATs down considerably at idle and lower speeds, not to mention the benefits of slight pressurization at higher speeds with a true, sealed ram air system such as this.
Thank you for not saying that you could "feel the power." (When people say that, I always think to myself that the power increase actually comes from the decreased weight in the pocket book/passenger compartment.)

A lesson to the Tech world: ^ This is how you make a point in tech discussion!!!

Quick Reply: got a Ws6 hood for my Formula