Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

got a Ws6 hood for my Formula

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Default got a Ws6 hood for my Formula

found a local guy selling an original paint OEM WS6 hood from his T/A so he could put a bigger cowl hood on..had to jump on it, paint is near flawless also, thought it might have been a repaint, but when I was shining my phone light on it at night I noticed the faint outline of the "ram air" script that he said he removed...soo I think I came out on top here.

stock flat hood

Name:  20161004_144452_zpse9nuchgk.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  270.8 KB

got home and swapped it on in about 30 minutes, took a little patience to get it to line up just right.

Name:  20161005_181703_zpsyur3pspu.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  256.9 KB

Name:  20161007_105326_zpsunffao2m.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  287.1 KB

Name:  20161007_123558_zps2e2sqnsd.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  170.0 KB

Name:  20161005_201755_zpszrqm89kj.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  160.6 KB
Old 10-07-2016, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

That's sweet. Not having to paint is awesome.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
That's sweet. Not having to paint is awesome.
Yeah, I saw his ad on the facebook f-body craigslist page, and noticed it was black and he was from chicago, so I told myself I can't pass it up. Went out the next day, looked at it and bought it.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:35 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Looks good! I always liked the WS6 Formula appearance.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
yeah, I really wanted a formula WS6 when I was looking to buy so this was a give in lol. The guy I bought the hood from was actually in your neck of the woods, he lived in Rogers Park off of Pratt a few blocks east of Kedzie. Has a pretty wicked T/A.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:12 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by BFK86
yeah, I really wanted a formula WS6 when I was looking to buy so this was a give in lol. The guy I bought the hood from was actually in your neck of the woods, he lived in Rogers Park off of Pratt a few blocks east of Kedzie. Has a pretty wicked T/A.
Wow, I could walk there from home. Don't think I know the car though.

I really wish I had bought a WS6 Formula for their last production year back in 2000, rather than the TA I bought instead. It was already July though, and all 232 WS6 Formulas built that year were already long gone - and too late to order one.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow, I could walk there from home. Don't think I know the car though.

I really wish I had bought a WS6 Formula for their last production year back in 2000, rather than the TA I bought instead. It was already July though, and all 232 WS6 Formulas built that year were already long gone - and too late to order one.

I kick myself for not buying a true WS6 formula from a member here a few years back, was a 2000 NBM M6 WS6 formula with 40k miles and basically all stock, wanted 13k for it, but just wasnt ready to buy at the time. Theres actually a pretty cool WS6 formula clone for sale right now on chicago craigslist, its the rare red orange color 98 hard top, looks really clean too and only wants like $6k for it.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

this is the one i was talking about..i like it, i like the price even better.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/5791434377.html
Old 10-07-2016, 03:30 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I kick myself for not buying a true WS6 formula from a member here a few years back, was a 2000 NBM M6 WS6 formula with 40k miles and basically all stock, wanted 13k for it, but just wasnt ready to buy at the time. Theres actually a pretty cool WS6 formula clone for sale right now on chicago craigslist, its the rare red orange color 98 hard top, looks really clean too and only wants like $6k for it.
I saw that one for sale on CL too, actually I just saw the ad again last night. Would likely be a good buy for someone if they don't mind a car that's already modded.

There seems to have been an unusually high concentration of WS6 Formulas here in Chicago. 1999 was the rarest year, but I've known of at least three different '99s around here in the last decade. All black, two M6, one A4. My friend Mike sold one of them about 2-3 years ago, it also had ~40k miles and was an M6. Kooks, ORY, LS6 intake, Blackwing, SLP dual/dual, Bilsteins, and a dyno tune. I think the new owner lives somewhere by Rockford/McHenry and has done a cam now as well. Another local one is owned by site moderator wssix99, but he brought that one here with him from VA I think. There also used to be a white one that roamed around Lincolnwood/Skokie several years ago.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

I saw that one for sale on CL too, actually I just saw the ad again last night. Would likely be a good buy for someone if they don't mind a car that's already modded.

There seems to have been an unusually high concentration of WS6 Formulas here in Chicago. 1999 was the rarest year, but I've known of at least three different '99s around here in the last decade. All black, two M6, one A4. My friend Mike sold one of them about 2-3 years ago, it also had ~40k miles and was an M6. Kooks, ORY, LS6 intake, Blackwing, SLP dual/dual, Bilsteins, and a dyno tune. I think the new owner lives somewhere by Rockford/McHenry and has done a cam now as well. Another local one is owned by site moderator wssix99, but he brought that one here with him from VA I think. There also used to be a white one that roamed around Lincolnwood/Skokie several years ago.
Ahh yes, i forgot about wssix99's car. Come to think of it I used to see another WS6 Formula (not sure if it was a clone or real) in your area also, this one was a gold 98, had the hood, wheels and badge, although now that i look at the pic the badge seems to be a little off so not sure. But if it is a real deal WS6 that would be a pretty rare combo. Used to see this guy driving down Touhy alot on my way to work about 4 or 5 years ago. This was taken on Touhy and Central if I remember right.

Name:  IMAG0842_zps96qhh3pk.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  170.1 KB
Old 10-07-2016, 04:41 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

^ That is definitely Touhy and Central. East bound on Touhy specifically.

SGM was already a super rare color and not offered after '98, I can't imagine there would be more than 1 or 2 of those in existence if it's a real WS6 Formula.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

^ That is definitely Touhy and Central. East bound on Touhy specifically.

SGM was already a super rare color and not offered after '98, I can't imagine there would be more than 1 or 2 of those in existence if it's a real WS6 Formula.
lol just looked up the #s on transamworld's site, they claim there were 6 WS6 formulas made in sport gold metallic that year, and 62 sport gold regular formulas..so eitherway it's rare. Weird because there's yet another 98 SGM formula that roams around my area, I think the guy works at the Menards in Mount Prospect, saw the car there back in like 2010, and just recently again driving down Rand. Good thing I take lots of pictures otherwise I wouldn't remember any of this lol.

Name:  20160817_085756_zpsuti9eqeo.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  176.4 KB
Old 10-08-2016, 09:58 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 328 Likes on 300 Posts

... you are baiting me in to this thread...

There seems to have been an unusually high concentration of WS6 Formulas here in Chicago.
Yes. We are all a part of a secret private justice organization that requires special capabilities and agility that only the Formula possesses.

Another local one is owned by site moderator wssix99, but he brought that one here with him from VA I think.
My Formula was indeed originally delivered to VA, but came with me when I was recruited from the Feds.

found a local guy selling an original paint OEM WS6 hood from his T/A so he could put a bigger cowl hood on..had to jump on it
Looks nice. If you add the WS6 wheels and an ejector seat, we'll teach you the secret hand shake.

That's a really great find - I've looked for original hoods and they are rare and/or very expensive. A rock or something chipped my hood and between all the seal removal, composite repair, painting, decal re-application, etc. (I'm keeping mine stock.) it's going to cost close to a grand at the body shop. (I think I will probably end up doing a lot of the disassembly and reassembly to save some coin on this one.)
Old 10-08-2016, 12:22 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by wssix99
Looks nice. If you add the WS6 wheels and an ejector seat, we'll teach you the secret hand shake.
Well, he already has WS6 wheels, just not the ones that would have been issued during model years where the WS6 Formula was a factory option. But since it's a 2002, those Speedlines are actually the correct model-year wheel and what the car would have come with had there been a factory '02 WS6 Formula.

AND, since it's a NHRA edition, it already came stock with an ejector seat. So basically, you're going to have to teach him the hand shake.

A rock or something chipped my hood and between all the seal removal, composite repair, painting, decal re-application, etc. (I'm keeping mine stock.) it's going to cost close to a grand at the body shop. (I think I will probably end up doing a lot of the disassembly and reassembly to save some coin on this one.)
I seem to remember your body shop guys having some issues with intestinal distress at the sight of something as ancient as a 4th gen. The more prep work you can do for them, the less likely they are to face serious digestive issues. Very thoughtful of you.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:08 PM
Save the manuals!

Well, he already has WS6 wheels, just not the ones that would have been issued during model years where the WS6 Formula was a factory option. But since it's a 2002, those Speedlines are actually the correct model-year wheel and what the car would have come with had there been a factory '02 WS6 Formula.

AND, since it's a NHRA edition, it already came stock with an ejector seat. So basically, you're going to have to teach him the hand shake.
Consider the handshake a done deal, then. I keep forgetting that the wheels changed in the later years. They were the same for the WS6 and the V8's except the WS6 wheels were 1" larger, right?

I seem to remember your body shop guys having some issues with intestinal distress at the sight of something as ancient as a 4th gen. The more prep work you can do for them, the less likely they are to face serious digestive issues. Very thoughtful of you.
Lots of distress... The owner has eyes for the car and wants a ride, though. Maybe I'll give him one the next time I go in so he can rally the troops? (He regularly gets in exotics, etc. so I'm not sure why he's so fond of the Firebird - but friends are great to have!)
Old 10-10-2016, 04:00 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Consider the handshake a done deal, then. I keep forgetting that the wheels changed in the later years. They were the same for the WS6 and the V8's except the WS6 wheels were 1" larger, right?
There were a couple of different 16x8 wheels for the base Formulas and Trans Ams. The ones you're thinking of, that look like your polished '99 WS6 wheels but just 1" smaller, were available all the way through 2002 as an optional chrome wheel for V8s or a silver painted wheel for the V6 cars. The base V8 cars without the chrome option got a "twisted spoke" silver painted 16x8 that has a thinner, twisted spoke.

The Speedlines that were issued to most '01+ WS6 cars were actually a revival of the old 1995 Firehawk and Comp T/A wheels (the rim portion and finish is different, but otherwise the design was reused.) Those are the wheels currently on BFK86's car. The reason I said "most" '01+ WS6 cars is because some of the very early '01 WS6s still received the same wheels as your '99, and the CETA '02 WS6s also received the same wheels as your '99 except with a black center/polished lip. To add further information (or confusion), in model year 2000 there was a one year only WS6 wheel issued under RPO N66 - commonly called the "3-spoke/swirly wheels" (looked slightly like an old salad shooter LT1 wheel.) Interestingly, this was actually the standard wheel for 2000 WS6 cars, but few of them were ever released with it. The optional QF6 wheels (what's on your car) were still available and issued to the vast majority of WS6 units. Of course the '99 30th Anniversary WS6s had the special blue anodized finish on what were otherwise the same QF6 wheels as your Formula. And then Firehawks had their own wheel style offered in three different finishes (silver painted, chrome, and gold for the 10th Anniversary cars.)

Lots of distress... The owner has eyes for the car and wants a ride, though. Maybe I'll give him one the next time I go in so he can rally the troops? (He regularly gets in exotics, etc. so I'm not sure why he's so fond of the Firebird - but friends are great to have!)
Probably because your car has an exhaust note that puts the exotics to shame. I have a few of those high dollar Italian cars in my neighborhood - they really don't sound good IMO.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:33 AM
Save the manuals!

There were a couple of different 16x8 wheels for the base Formulas and Trans Ams. The ones you're thinking of, that look like your polished '99 WS6 wheels but just 1" smaller, were available all the way through 2002 as an optional chrome wheel for V8s or a silver painted wheel for the V6 cars. The base V8 cars without the chrome option got a "twisted spoke" silver painted 16x8 that has a thinner, twisted spoke.

The Speedlines that were issued to most '01+ WS6 cars were actually a revival of the old 1995 Firehawk and Comp T/A wheels (the rim portion and finish is different, but otherwise the design was reused.) Those are the wheels currently on BFK86's car. The reason I said "most" '01+ WS6 cars is because some of the very early '01 WS6s still received the same wheels as your '99, and the CETA '02 WS6s also received the same wheels as your '99 except with a black center/polished lip. To add further information (or confusion), in model year 2000 there was a one year only WS6 wheel issued under RPO N66 - commonly called the "3-spoke/swirly wheels" (looked slightly like an old salad shooter LT1 wheel.) Interestingly, this was actually the standard wheel for 2000 WS6 cars, but few of them were ever released with it. The optional QF6 wheels (what's on your car) were still available and issued to the vast majority of WS6 units. Of course the '99 30th Anniversary WS6s had the special blue anodized finish on what were otherwise the same QF6 wheels as your Formula. And then Firehawks had their own wheel style offered in three different finishes (silver painted, chrome, and gold for the 10th Anniversary cars.)
Thanks. This is jogging my memory... (This is still pretty heavy stuff for Monday before the coffee sets in.)

All this change in wheels probably helps explain the value of these things! No kidding - If you take the hood and wheels off of my car, they far exceed the blue book value of the rest of the car. (I know how we all feel about the Blue Book, but for illustrative purposes - but I I think it works for this simple point.)
Old 10-10-2016, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Probably because your car has an exhaust note that puts the exotics to shame. I have a few of those high dollar Italian cars in my neighborhood - they really don't sound good IMO.
haha there was actually a guy in my neighborhood with a 2002 black formula that rolled around with those rare 3 spoke 17s but had the inserts painted black..actually looked "ok". Interestingly enough he traded it in on a new car and some dealer in Barrington has it for sale right now
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/5791434377.html.

On a side note do you know or have you heard of any NHRA WS6 cars ever built? Because there have been a few people who claimed to have owned an NHRA package WS6 car..in fact there was a guy who used to come around the Rolling Meadows show that had a low mile SOM WS6 TA with NHRA badges on it, havent seen the car in a while though. The reason I ask is because everything Ive read about the NHRA package mentioned you COULD NOT order both the 1SH and WS6 package together, it was either or.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

took some better pics this weekend so ill add em here...who doesnt love pics?

Name:  20161008_122734_zpscrr3scol.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  297.0 KB

Name:  20161008_122751_zpsripqoy2z.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  316.4 KB

Name:  20161008_095356_zpsp1qnctsu.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  776.5 KB

went a little overboard and cleaned and waxed the underside of the hood lol

Name:  IMG_20161008_111923_zpsixdhf28p.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  268.2 KB

Name:  20161008_154821_zpsvzlu5ubz.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  291.5 KB
Old 10-10-2016, 02:49 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

haha there was actually a guy in my neighborhood with a 2002 black formula that rolled around with those rare 3 spoke 17s but had the inserts painted black..actually looked "ok". Interestingly enough he traded it in on a new car and some dealer in Barrington has it for sale right now
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/5791434377.html.
Looks like that ad has been deleted. I looked at the N66 wheels back when I bought my '00 WS6 in July of 2000. It was hard to even find a car on a dealer lot with these wheels. Haha, I hated them. They really haven't grown on me at all over the years. The QF6 design still remains my favorite.

On a side note do you know or have you heard of any NHRA WS6 cars ever built? Because there have been a few people who claimed to have owned an NHRA package WS6 car..in fact there was a guy who used to come around the Rolling Meadows show that had a low mile SOM WS6 TA with NHRA badges on it, havent seen the car in a while though. The reason I ask is because everything Ive read about the NHRA package mentioned you COULD NOT order both the 1SH and WS6 package together, it was either or.
Did you ever ask to see (or see a picture of) the SPID sticker for any of these cars that are claimed to be a WS6 and also an NHRA edition? I ask because I don't see how this could be possible either. RPO 1SH includes the P05 chrome 16x8 wheels and QLC 245/50/16 tires - neither of which were available on a WS6 car. In fact, the WS6 option is specifically listed as "N/A w/Wheels-P05" (which are the exact wheels used in the 1SH package.) Unless the package content or ordering options changed after model year 2000 (which I'm almost positive it didn't), I don't see how anyone could have ordered both packages stock. Anyone making this claim would have to show a valid SPID with both RPOs as proof, otherwise I wouldn't take it seriously.

went a little overboard and cleaned and waxed the underside of the hood lol
Car looks great for sure!

And don't worry about going overboard with cleaning. Most people think they are bad about this until they meet me. I spend 3-4 hours just doing a "quick dusting" on mine after a single car show or 30-40 mile cruise.

Quick Reply: got a Ws6 hood for my Formula