Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

New rims bought, now 1+ street shock/spring suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New rims bought, now 1+ street shock/spring suggestion

02 TA auto and I just ordered VMR 710 ET 45 18x9.5 and going to run 275/35 square (assume safe easy setup?) for weekend duty

i have a bone stock car. I will do lid exhaust tune and maybe stall but basically cruiser

I was thinking strano to fill the gap for $250 and what about shocks. Just bilstins or koni star non adj with strano for another $300 all 4 and I can swap in the garage?

hoping for cool ride I don't want any slam just less of a gap and better handling
Old 11-26-2016, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You're on the right track for a fun street car.
You might also need an adjustable phb after lowering as well, but lower it first and then see if you need it.
After lowering you will need an alignment too (and don't just have the shop get it in the "green", get a good alignment with some negative camber), factor that in too.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

JD thanks. I always want :-) my daily is. 12s Audi A6 C7 so it is fast and fun sleeper but no attitude and again my daily

love to have a street cruise with sound. I know always someone faster but be nice to beat or destroy 4 and 6 car German and rice deals. I know v8 and hi end m4 are thought but who cares just want the sound and back it up.

like to be faster then my Audi but leaning towards track and sunny day duty is ok

so paint and suspension first. Ls1 is running strong just needs some maint in belt drive accessories stuff

it is a LS6 intake and I have to check but I think it is a LS6 block. Although it looks and appears stock it runs way stronger then a 2.73 rear. I suspect it had a stall or bumped up gear.

Easy way to check?

On springs is strano easy replace for front and back in garage?

for shocks between str or bilstins is it just price and swap for street
Old 11-27-2016, 10:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jim Cuff
JD thanks. I always want :-) my daily is. 12s Audi A6 C7 so it is fast and fun sleeper but no attitude and again my daily

love to have a street cruise with sound. I know always someone faster but be nice to beat or destroy 4 and 6 car German and rice deals. I know v8 and hi end m4 are thought but who cares just want the sound and back it up.

like to be faster then my Audi but leaning towards track and sunny day duty is ok
Your TA should already be as quick as your audi A6. Just looked up specs and it shows them running low 13s, your TA should be able to match that no problem, and with simple bolt ons will be much quicker.

so paint and suspension first. Ls1 is running strong just needs some maint in belt drive accessories stuff

it is a LS6 intake and I have to check but I think it is a LS6 block. Although it looks and appears stock it runs way stronger then a 2.73 rear. I suspect it had a stall or bumped up gear.

Easy way to check?
Block doesn't matter, it doesn't add anything.
Easy way to check gears would be to see what speed the transmission shifts at when WOT and then cross reference with what other cars shift at with the gears they have.

On springs is strano easy replace for front and back in garage?
Pretty easy. You will need a spring compressor for the front to get the spring onto the shock perch.

for shocks between str or bilstins is it just price and swap for street
The Koni STR.T supposedly have more rebound so will control the spring better than the bilstiens, so I would go for those.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

JD-AMG

Thanks for the tips. I have to check the tranny/rpm.

As for the Audi, I am not bashing the LSX, great setup but the 3.0T in the S4 and A6 are pretty quick. The S4 are mid-hi 12s stock and with a simple chip they break 11s.

Mine has intake and chip and soon a pulley. Right now it is mid 12 car. Other thing that kills cars on the street, and where I know the TA will lose, is the launch and 0-60. I can launch at 3500rpm with all 4 wheels hooking and never spin the wheels. It is a red light sleeper. Low 4s 0-60.

I wouldnt think my TA for bolts on will be as fast at launch but I know down the 1/4 and on a roll it should walk away is my goal. Plus again I dont care so much about the numbers. It is an awesome LSx setup and sounds awesome and is so cool to cruise in.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for the Strano's and Koni Str-t. I have that set up along with the UMI adjustable panhard bar and LCA relocation brackets. if youre lowering the car you should really get a set of the relocation brackets. They will help with traction after lowering.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

Thanks, I just ordered the Koni's from TireRack for a great price. $300 shipped all 4.
Stranos too.

First I will mount the new rims VMR 710, install new rotors, r1 Black DS and pads and SS lines.
Do you think a new LCA are needed too with the relo bracket? I like teh idea and look of clean new LCA with everything else plus new rubber. I was looking at founders poly pro setup or just original rubber. Dont want to bind.

Plus the APH

with all that I think it will be a supper new and smoother, solid, better handling then stock ride I hope.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New LCA's would be good, but that would be completely up to you if you aren't racing the car. I didn't put new on mine and it still rides and handles great. I have considered it though just because the stock ones look like a cheap stamped piece of metal.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

I might do a few test and tune nights. Maybe try a AutoX or Track day possibly but not really racing. Probaly just do APB and RELO, Shocks,Springs and be fine.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by imprtkillr2810
New LCA's would be good, but that would be completely up to you if you aren't racing the car. I didn't put new on mine and it still rides and handles great. I have considered it though just because the stock ones look like a cheap stamped piece of metal.
aftermarket LCA's are not anything special when it comes to handling or ride. If anything they will make the ride more harsh and handling will remain basically unchanged.

Originally Posted by Jim Cuff
I might do a few test and tune nights. Maybe try a AutoX or Track day possibly but not really racing. Probaly just do APB and RELO, Shocks,Springs and be fine.
Relocation brackets are absolutely not a needed item unless you are getting wheel hop, then they are an option, but still may not be the cure.

Quick Reply: New rims bought, now 1+ street shock/spring suggestion