Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Stock 2002 WS6 lateral g rating?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 09:27 AM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock 2002 WS6 lateral g rating?

I've searched the site, but only found generic info, and mostly Camaro oriented, from the Handling and Braking forum.

The closest I found in my search was a single report that a magazine had supposedly gotten .94 out of a stock A4 CETA.

IIRC, the CETA is just a WS6 with a paint, badging and upholstery package, so I should be able to look to that as a guage. But, that comment was ignored by everyone else and I haven't seen the article in question (looks like it was High Performance Pontiac of June or July of '02). Also, the A4 will have different weights than the M6 (I would think).

I don't have a skid pad local to me, or anything large and flat enough to use as a makeshift one, and I don't have the cash for a G-Tech or similar device.

So - does anyone know what a stock 2002 M6 WS6 T/A will do laterally?
Old 09-23-2004, 10:13 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Bump++
Old 09-23-2004, 11:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

.94? stock?
Ive seen .87. Try looking at caranddriver and motortrend articles.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:21 AM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

I don't have access to back issues, and that's why I started this thread, because I'm interested in the "definitive" answer.

And anyway, I would argue that HPP is better suited to drive an F-Body to it's limit than C&D or R&T. For example, another well known car mag is Top Gear. On their show, one of the hosts who is supposed to be a car "expert", drove a Corvette and complained about the heavy shifting. But when you watch, you can see that he's fighting the synchros, and basically just not driving it right, so he winds up not getting the most out of it.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by HPP
I don't have access to back issues, and that's why I started this thread, because I'm interested in the "definitive" answer.

And anyway, I would argue that HPP is better suited to drive an F-Body to it's limit than C&D or R&T. For example, another well known car mag is Top Gear. On their show, one of the hosts who is supposed to be a car "expert", drove a Corvette and complained about the heavy shifting. But when you watch, you can see that he's fighting the synchros, and basically just not driving it right, so he winds up not getting the most out of it.
Yeah, TopGear is a bunch of idiots. I got my numers from fast-autos.net and they get their numbers from magazines like motortrend C&D ect.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Skid Pad rating

Not sure of the stock skid pad rating of a WS-6 is but it would have to be less than what I have in my Hawk, which is the Bilstein Ultra Performance Suspension System, Motor Trend magazine indicated a rating of .91g's, with this optional suspension.
Old 09-27-2004, 01:19 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Hmm, interesting. It's too bad nobody has tested their car in stock trim to confirm any of this.

At anyrate, here is what I found -
In the latests edition of High Performance Pontiac the tested a 2002 CE A4 and it pulled a .94g on the skid pad. So springs and sway bars should do it! Of course sticky tires are always good!
Here is the link - https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...light=skid+pad

That post was dated 6-15-2002. Anybody have the June or July issue of HPP? (I know, I should lol but don't unfortunately)
Old 09-27-2004, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

I am sure the 1LE package with Koni adjustables are doing .9+ G.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Stock M6 2002 WS6 pulled .89

I remember this because it was a hair below .9
Old 10-04-2004, 10:12 PM
12 Second Club

whats better the lower number or higher number....how is it measured? and G's are what exactly....i kno its force in a turn but im unsure of what it actually is
Old 10-04-2004, 10:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02WS6Bird
whats better the lower number or higher number....how is it measured? and G's are what exactly....i kno its force in a turn but im unsure of what it actually is
The higher the better. Gs are measured by gripping force, how much your car can grip around a turn, like a fighter jet pulls X amount of G forces turning, same goes for your car. Thats the best way i can explain it, anyone feel free to correct me, or add on.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:49 AM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Just to nit pick a plane (not just a jet, or fighter) pulls both positive and negative Gs (and in fact, it could be said that they pull positive and push negative). And pulling positive Gs comes from any pitching moment where the nose goes "up" with respect to the plane itself. This means that it pulls Gs when going into a climb, or when performing a split-S, etc. Not just when turning.

Sorry, couldln't help myself. lol

For cars it's Lateral G Loads. Since velocity is both direction and speed, changing direction will change velocity, and is a form of acceleration. This is most easily measured in comparison to the acceleration rate of earth's gravity - 32'/s/s, or 9.8m/s/s.

For the person who asked what they were - tromp on the gas. Notice the feeling of being pushed back into the seat? That's G-force. (not necessarily a full G however) Ditto for yanking the wheel and feeling thrown to one side or the other, or even when braking and feeling pulled toward the dash.

'02 M6 WS6 is .89? While that doesn't exactly suck, I really would like to know what was in that article about that CETA. Were they CETAs anything special besides paint and badging? I had heard they weren't.....

Quick Reply: Stock 2002 WS6 lateral g rating?