Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

LT1 vs. the LS1 with auto tranny

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 08:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 vs. the LS1 with auto tranny

I want to start out by saying thanks for the advice you all gave me in my earlier thread; I am a Firebird newbie however plan to become more knowledgable about these cars.

OK, my plan is this: To spend around $10,000 for a trans am/formula with the WS6 package. While I am not totally decided yet, I believe i will go with the automatic transmission(sorry, but I just never got comfy with sticks for all of the commuter traffic I deal with).

I don't plan on racing this car on a strip, but I want to add a few bolt-on mods(exhaust, headers)

I know I won't get the best performance with the auto over the 6-speed, but in city driving, and 0-30 and 0-60 speeds, or if I just want to smoke that rice burning Civic next to me on the highway doing 70MPH-90MPH, which engine block is faster and has more neck-snapping punch, the LT1 or the LS1? I'm talking when I WOT on the car, which engine with the auto tranny will I be the most happy with overall?

On a less-important note, what basic mods other than exhaust and headers can I do to these vehicles that will be relatively inexpensive to get better acceleration?

Oh, one last thing. I have been looking at the '98 models, I actually do like the looks of the new gen. better, however are there any of those "first year" bugs in the engine or other parts of the vehicle to be worried about, would I be better of with a '99?

Jeez, I know I must sound like a total newb with this post, but any help will be appreciated.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:06 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

LS1 will have more power, stick with that if your just gonna do basic mods.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Ls1, hands down. I have owned 2 lt1's and love them. But the ls1 is just a better motor. My Lt1 did get better gas milage though. Everytime I say that I get flamed but just stating my personal experience, and my ls1 uses more oil, even though my lt1 had a rear seal blown nearly the enitre time I owned it. I replaced it multilple times with no success. Do a search, the ls1 is alot better
Old 11-23-2004, 07:13 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'm starting to lean towards the LS1; I did a little research on both engines, but I'm not a mechanic and couldn't understand a lot of the in-depth technical details. From what you said and from what I read, though, the LS1 seems to be the obvious choice for a better quality engine. My father had a '97 WS6 that was awesome, I grew up loving that car, guess that's why I keep having this internal debate over which engine.

If I were to go with the LS1, are the '98's a safe bet in terms of quality, or would the second-year '99's be better?
Old 11-23-2004, 07:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 96 Z28 with a 410 gear, pulley, hypertech, exhaust, mass air and nitrous. I currently have my Hawk with a LS6 and 2800 stall.

The LT1 was fun off the line and would take my friends LS1 but once 3rd gear came the LS1 would pass me. Having the 410 gear on the freeway was fun due to barely hitting the gas and it would just go with no down shifting and stop light launchs the LT1 had the torque. 3000 rpm at 70 mph sucked on the freeway though but fun and it topped out 130-140 mph. When I wanted to go fast I had the nitrous there.

The LS1 with 2800 stall has the 1.7 60ft times for the take off at a light and as for top end I have hit 150-160 already and it was still pulling.

To me, the LT1 has the low end torque more so and the LS1 has the top end power.

I would like to have,

LT1 for road race
LS1 for drag and top speed race

Why I have an A4. I am 5ft 6in and I damn near have to have the seat all the way forward for me to feel very comfortable pushing in the clutch. Which puts me right into the steering wheel unless I lay the seat back like I am taking a nap.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:11 PM
Staging Lane

I have a 94 TA GT / A4 with hi-flow cat, Flowmaster exhaust, 3.23, SLP intake, TB bypass, airfoil and descreened MAF. This combo has been good for 268.3 rwhp / 318.6 rwtq on the dyno. I haven't gone to the track, but I've done very well "freeway fighting". Very little has given me trouble, especially since the 94 TA GTs come with a built-in "shift kit" that's electronically controlled.

Now, my wife has a pretty-much stock 99 TA A4. All it has is a K&N filter. It's *almost* as fast, in stock trim. A set of pipes and a better intake and you're done.

Don't worry about not driving an M6. Real drivers drive V8's, period.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Twitch

Unless you are in a Grand National...
Old 11-25-2004, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Angus
Unless you are in a Grand National...
True.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 94 TA GT / A4 with hi-flow cat, Flowmaster exhaust, 3.23, SLP intake, TB bypass, airfoil and descreened MAF. This combo has been good for 268.3 rwhp / 318.6 rwtq on the dyno. I haven't gone to the track, but I've done very well "freeway fighting". Very little has given me trouble, especially since the 94 TA GTs come with a built-in "shift kit" that's electronically controlled.

Now, my wife has a pretty-much stock 99 TA A4. All it has is a K&N filter. It's *almost* as fast, in stock trim. A set of pipes and a better intake and you're done.

Her car should be putting down more power....And be faster.....

Anyways. Check out these threads. I always try to jump into the ls1 vs. lt1 debate. These should help you:

Def. check this first thread out.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/210023-big-decision-ls1-lt1.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/240884-straight-question-buy-lt1-ss-97-ls1-99-up.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/210270-engine-holds-high-mileage-better-ls1-lt1.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...77#post1965677

Also, while in these threads, try to read some of my replies for additional help.
Old 11-25-2004, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by slammed-am
Her car should be putting down more power....And be faster.....

Also, while in these threads, try to read some of my replies for additional help.
Maybe so, but it doesn't. I suspect there's something wrong with it (which doesn't make me happy), but I've gone against many LS1's and pulled on them all day long, so I don't think her LS1 is too far off for a stocker.

I would say go with the LS1, if you want to just do some mild adjustments and have a wicked freeway fighter. If you're looking for stop-light bandit action, the LS1 is still great, but the LT1 does get off the line faster.

One thing to note, the LS1 gets crappy gas mileage compared to the LT1. Here in California (home of watered-down 91), that's a big deal.
Old 11-25-2004, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe so, but it doesn't. I suspect there's something wrong with it (which doesn't make me happy), but I've gone against many LS1's and pulled on them all day long, so I don't think her LS1 is too far off for a stocker.

I would say go with the LS1, if you want to just do some mild adjustments and have a wicked freeway fighter. If you're looking for stop-light bandit action, the LS1 is still great, but the LT1 does get off the line faster.

One thing to note, the LS1 gets crappy gas mileage compared to the LT1. Here in California (home of watered-down 91), that's a big deal.

Yeah, that is where the lt1 is attracted me. The lt1 does not have more torque, but feels like it does because you see all of it in much lower rpm's compared to the ls1. I haven't ever ridden in one, but hear they just feel nasty....in a good way.

Quick Reply: LT1 vs. the LS1 with auto tranny