Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

weird occuring smell

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 01:18 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exclamation weird occuring smell

I just recently bought a 99 TA M6 w/ only 27K miles. About a month after I have been driving it, I started to smell a weird smell. It was almost like the clutch burning. I doubt it is the clutch. I don't feather it. I live in Sunny Florida. I usually smell it when it's hot outside and I come to a stop or after I give it a nice WOT. It's not tires. It is coming from under the hood. No plastic bags or fluids on the engine what-so-ever. It's been doing this for four months and I can't figure it out. Anyone have this same problem? I am getting annoyed. I wanna just floor it till something breaks so it'll be over with Just kidding
Old 01-07-2005, 05:48 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Is it a "rotten egg" smell? If you still have the cats on your car, it might be a bad cat?
Old 01-08-2005, 12:15 PM
Launching!

yep they're still there.. gonna check that out.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default weird smell

Originally Posted by white99
I just recently bought a 99 TA M6 w/ only 27K miles. About a month after I have been driving it, I started to smell a weird smell. It was almost like the clutch burning. I doubt it is the clutch. I don't feather it. I live in Sunny Florida. I usually smell it when it's hot outside and I come to a stop or after I give it a nice WOT. It's not tires. It is coming from under the hood. No plastic bags or fluids on the engine what-so-ever. It's been doing this for four months and I can't figure it out. Anyone have this same problem? I am getting annoyed. I wanna just floor it till something breaks so it'll be over with Just kidding
I recently bought a 2K T/A Firehawk, and I am also getting the smell of burning clutch. I am not getting any slippage or shift concerns, or driveability concerns. If you figure it out please let me know.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:25 PM
TECH Regular

I've noticed probably the same odd smell you're referring to on both the Firehawk and the WS6. Sorta smells like clutch or tranny burning..but it isn't. The clutch isn't burnt in the Firehawk...and the tranny is good in the WS6...but I notice it I usually notice it too after or while they're at WOT (or close to it.) Haven't figured out yet what it is...both still have stock headers...just a cutout back by the axle.

There's one other place I've smelled that exact same smell..but it's not a car related place at all...the heater in the main entrance to a building I sometimes work in...when the heats on it smells exactly the same....

But my fiance and I have both smelled it...can't figure out what it is...both cars are running fine though so...(and it's not a rotten-egg..clogged cat smell...not to us anyways.)
Old 01-10-2005, 02:26 PM
Launching!

I have low mileage. It was a northern car and it sat in a garage and was driven very sporadically. I'll keep trying to pinpoint this smell and keep you guys posted. So far no luck.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by white99
I have low mileage. It was a northern car and it sat in a garage and was driven very sporadically. I'll keep trying to pinpoint this smell and keep you guys posted. So far no luck.

I got a similiar smell when I changed to new rotors and I wasn't even braking that hard. I bet money its your front brakes making the smell.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Is it a "rotten egg" smell? If you still have the cats on your car, it might be a bad cat?
I think I just smelled something similar to that. How can you check to make sure if the cat is bad?

Matt
Old 01-10-2005, 06:02 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Slammed-am
I think I just smelled something similar to that. How can you check to make sure if the cat is bad?

Matt
Tap on it. If the guts are bad, you'll here them rattling around. When the cats would go bad on my 'bird, the service engine soon light would come on for a day or two, and then go back out for a few days (sometimes weeks). Eventually, it would come back on and stay on. It happened so many times (and practically in the same location on my way home from work), that I had the symptoms memorized.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Tap on it. If the guts are bad, you'll here them rattling around. When the cats would go bad on my 'bird, the service engine soon light would come on for a day or two, and then go back out for a few days (sometimes weeks). Eventually, it would come back on and stay on. It happened so many times (and practically in the same location on my way home from work), that I had the symptoms memorized.

Thanks, man.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:14 PM
Launching!

my cats are fine. the smell is still there. it is winter now in FL and i don't smell it nearly as much as i do in the summer.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:19 AM
TECH Resident

Its B O
Old 01-26-2005, 01:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Try smelling the heater box area. Sometimes condensation will build over time, that will create mold on the heater core or evaporator. I havent been under the dash on these cars yet, but if you can access the heater box easily, take a look at the heater core and evaporator.

Odors may be emitted from the air conditioning system primarily at start up in hot, humid climates. The following conditions may cause the odor:
  • Debris is present in the heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) module.
  • Microbial growth on the evaporator core.
When the blower motor fan is turned on, the microbial growth may release an unpleasant musty odor into the passenger compartment.

Just an idea
Old 01-26-2005, 01:47 PM
Launching!

i never turn the fan on (ac, heater, etc).
when i do turn it on everything seems fine. no weird smell from the vents.
smells like nice clean a/c or heat.
but i'll definately check that out.
i usually smell it when the windows are down and i just stopped after a small amount of TA abuse (WOT).

I do not jam on the brakes. I did find that my clutch pedal spring is broken and I need to replace it. Is that little 1 inch spring all that important?
Old 01-31-2005, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

get a huge sheet of white paper (usually on the industrial roll) or even tape poster boards together. park your car over it after taking it for a drive and leave it there overnight. mark where the wheels are. pull out the cardboard or paper in the morning and see if there are any fluids. even though you may not see them regularly after you park or see it on the engine, doesnt mean its not there thus this might help just in case just to rule out leaks...at least visible ones that would leak to the ground
Old 01-31-2005, 10:07 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

It could be somthing burning off the exhaust. I remember smelling burnt rubber for a while and it turned out to be a surgical glove melted to the down-pipe on the driver's side. Another time I smelt something burning there was a black lump of crud stuck to the passenger side down-pipe.

Kenafin_02TA mentioned a heater in a building emitting a burnt smell. Sometimes my house's radiators give off a burnt kinda smell (especially early in the winter season). Its a combination of the paint on them heating up and the steam exiting the valve (its a steam system).
Old 02-03-2005, 05:04 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Hey, its been a few days. Find that smell yet?
Old 02-03-2005, 06:10 PM
Banned

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by VIP1
Hey, its been a few days. Find that smell yet?
My low mile '02 the water pump went out a few weeks ago. It smelled like a can of sardines for a day or so b4 the pump started throwing out fluid and I noticed. The stink was a small amount of coolant getting on the belt and being burnt by heat and friction. Maybe you have a very minor coolant leak on the belts somewhere. Just an idea.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:35 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
Maybe you have a very minor coolant leak on the belts somewhere. Just an idea.
If you are talking to me (sounds like it since you quoted me), I dont have any odd smells.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by VIP1
If you are talking to me (sounds like it since you quoted me), I dont have any odd smells.
Complete mix up that I clicked your quote. I was obviously giving a tip to whoever had the smell.

Quick Reply: weird occuring smell