Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together
View Poll Results: Would you be interested?
Yes
72.22%
No
27.78%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Fixed TA Headlights Coming (thread from Feb 2005)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Just subscribing. I'm definitely interested!
Old 03-11-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey im picking up my first formula tonight and this is a mod im very interested in. My friend has some on his TA but they were $1000 and the clear plastic cover is bolted on . Looks like something i could have built in my garage.

Working in the aftermarket industry myself, i dont see how your going to run production numbers at only $400.00, but if you can all the better. Id like to see a durable quality design with factory like fitment. Nothing like carbon fiber or halos or any silly stuff. Clean and conservative like what the car should have had from the factory.

The double circle lights are fine but try to use a popular bulb size....9007...9006...h1...h3...etc. This will allow the use of aftermarket HID kits. They dont have to be any brighter than stock trust me people will buy them based on looks alone. They do however need to be "as bright" This way you keep cost down but customers still have the option of going with HIDS.

Just my .02 and good luck.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by psykoTA
I dont like fixed lights on a TA. It ruins the look of the car. Transams are transams. Not transams with wannabe camaro lights. Flip-up lights are a signature thing. It destroys the overall look.

Good luck to you with making your product. I am sure you can make something nice, but fixed lights will never look right IMO.
What about the lights on the 05 vette.....were those signature when GM changed em in 05?

__----__<
-O----O-- =
Old 03-11-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Junkie

the corvette started without popups, and i think GM noticed how many ppl were putting the fixed conversions on vettes. fixed is also lighter, and not a air brake
Old 03-11-2005, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When your friend said "these lights can't pull enough juice off of the regular wiring" he probably meant there was too much voltage loss due to the wiring having to go throughtout the car and throught the switch. By using a relay, you can prevent the voltage loss and thereby get more voltage to the lights. When done right it is a good thing and reduces the load on the factory switch.
Electrically, this is the only way it should be done. None of the interior switches are designed to run any significant amount of current through them. Relays are essentially remote switches to handle the real current being drawn through whatever device is being switched. It is a very bad idea to run headlights through the dash switch without the use of any relay. The switch and in dash wiring just won't last very long under those kinds of current demands. Not only are you risking a switch failure in that scenario, but fried wiring that could possibly lead to an in dash fire as well. And I'm not exaggerating here either.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:35 AM
On The Tree

*Update* The machine shop still has the patterns. The guys father just died a month or so ago, so he is tring to run the show by himself. Anyway he just finished up his really big order, and I am next in line. He says they will be done by tuesday/wednesday
If they aren't done, I am taking them somewhere else.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What exactly are they making? The headlight buckets? Are you going to make a sealed headlight bucket assembly and put lights inside of it?

I can't figure out your basic design. Do you have a sketch or drawing to give us an idea?
Old 03-12-2005, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

There are pics in the first post. It is a metal housing that holds sealed projector style lights. I will put up pics when I get them back.
Old 03-12-2005, 03:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BabyLuvsMyTa
There are pics in the first post. It is a metal housing that holds sealed projector style lights. I will put up pics when I get them back.
OK, I only thought the first pics were of the lights being held into position. I couldn't see any type of housing.

So a metal housing with a lexan (or similar) cover in the shape of the factory headlights in the down position?
Old 03-12-2005, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JasonWW
OK, I only thought the first pics were of the lights being held into position. I couldn't see any type of housing.

So a metal housing with a lexan (or similar) cover in the shape of the factory headlights in the down position?
No lexan. The housing is all metal. Plexiglass fades, and turns yellow. Also if a rock, otherwise hits them, then you could replace just one light instead of getting a whole new set of lights. With just the four lights you also have a smaller surface area for a rock to hit.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

******* Update ********

First set is made. Here is a pic. I still have to mount them to the car, but I couldn't wait. The tear drop looking part on the bench is the piece that covers the whole thing. More pics soon.
Attached Thumbnails Fixed TA Headlights Coming (thread from Feb 2005)-all-states-jay-ward-001.jpg  

Last edited by BabyLuvsMyTa; 03-27-2005 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

what pics?
Old 03-28-2005, 06:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

What lights did you decide to use, the Hella 90mm or another one?
Old 03-30-2005, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Sorry my computer is craping out. f***ing spyware. Anyway, No I am using lights that are just a little brighter than stock, but they project the light wider, and further. Huge differance to me. I wouldnt be able to sell these very cheap if i used the hella lights. I dont mind just selling the housing, and you guys can get your own lights. Instead of $400 we would be talking more like $250. Let me know what you think, and I will get them mounted to the car, and take some pics.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

I'd be interested to see what you come up with. I don't care what lights you use. I just want them fixed.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd have to see a picture first to be sure, but if they don't have the clear cover in the shape of the stock flip up headlight, i'm probably not interested.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Same here, gotta have the acrylic (smoke would be cool) to keep the body lines... We need updates, it's been over a week!
Old 04-07-2005, 02:48 PM
TECH Junkie

what if the stock headlight cover would attach over what blmta is coming out with. keeps the stock sleek lines, but would allow for fixed headlights
Old 04-07-2005, 03:46 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

I'm surprised to see the # of people interested in this. IMO, it's ugly. As stated earlier, it is signature to the Firebird. Yes, it started in 82 and they were exposed prior to that, doesn't matter. Flip up lights are part of the heritage and look.

Plus they look 100 time better than exposed lights. Flip up lights are all about "sports car". Exposed lights scream boring passenger car (aside from being ugly). The C6 is hideous. (The 'Vette is my all time favorite car, so I'm particularly bitter about that)

They are NOT "air brakes". That's the most asinine thing I've ever heard, and yet it's repeated incessently. They are only up at night. If you are driving fast enough at night for them to be a drag concern, you are driving too fast. That sort of speed should be reserved for daylight operations. You're not in Daytona or Sebring or LeMans.

To each their own, but that front end was designed for flip ups and exposed just look that much more out of place on it. And, while the LS1 Camaro is growing on me (admittedly), I hated it at first because it looked like a Chrysler 300 (the ones prior to the new Hemi models).

.02¢ (keep the change heh heh )
Old 04-07-2005, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by HPP
I'm surprised to see the # of people interested in this. IMO, it's ugly. As stated earlier, it is signature to the Firebird. Yes, it started in 82 and they were exposed prior to that, doesn't matter. Flip up lights are part of the heritage and look.

Plus they look 100 time better than exposed lights. Flip up lights are all about "sports car". Exposed lights scream boring passenger car (aside from being ugly). The C6 is hideous. (The 'Vette is my all time favorite car, so I'm particularly bitter about that)

They are NOT "air brakes". That's the most asinine thing I've ever heard, and yet it's repeated incessently. They are only up at night. If you are driving fast enough at night for them to be a drag concern, you are driving too fast. That sort of speed should be reserved for daylight operations. You're not in Daytona or Sebring or LeMans.

To each their own, but that front end was designed for flip ups and exposed just look that much more out of place on it. And, while the LS1 Camaro is growing on me (admittedly), I hated it at first because it looked like a Chrysler 300 (the ones prior to the new Hemi models).

.02¢ (keep the change heh heh )
Yea, yea, heard it before. Your post is not going to change anybodys mind. Why even bother typing all that? (rhetorical question)

Do you realize you come off as a mean and negative person? You might think about that when sharing your opinions. Sometimes "opinions" can hurt peoples feelings. You need to choose where and when to express yourself and I don't think all these supporters of BLMTA need to be scolded for wanting fixed lights.

That is my opinion. Thank you.

Last edited by JasonWW; 04-07-2005 at 09:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Fixed TA Headlights Coming (thread from Feb 2005)