Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Losing heart

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 02:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Losing heart

This is getting tough, some days i love the TA, and others i just want to sell it, generally it hasnt given me much trouble, its only really "needed" a new tranny and a/c compressor and thats about it, but it does have almost 127k on it, im 19 and in college, and im just losing heart in it, all i'd need is 5k and the thing would be where i want it, but i just dont have that kind of money right now, its a good car and runs very well. The paint isnt that great, i guess average for the life its lived, it still pulls hard as ever, im just wondering if its all worth it, its paid off and the expenses to keep it/keep it running dont strain me financially, I'm worried its gonna break down or something, or just throw something in the motor, which i cant afford to fix if it does. It IS my dream car, one i've always wanted, and im very thankful to have it at my age, sometimes it just doesnt seem all its cracked up to be, i'd love to add a hood, headers, converter, and diff. wheels, a rebuild and some new leather and i'd stop there with it, and i know i'd be settled, that just seems so far out of reach, i can probably afford to get a 5k loan, well i know i could, my schooling is paid for, but i could tack it on as a student loan, what would you guys do? sorry to be all down, i guess its just one of those weeks
Old 05-17-2005, 05:39 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say don't give up so soon! Stick it out and you can give the car a fresh paintjob in a few years, that's nothing that can't be fixed. There's plenty of people with higher mileage than that too; from what I've read, it really doesn't matter much as long as proper maintenance is kept up with.

I don't see a problem with getting a student loan for some upgrades, but I'd probably suggest spacing out the upgrades over time instead of all at once, so that you keep getting new things to enjoy and still have more to look forwards to.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hang in there! Do it for the T/A! I'd get a $1,000 beater and don't drive that car every day. A few years from now you'll have a lil' extra ching or you can get a loan easier and the car will be in similar shape as it is now.
I feel for ya!
Old 05-17-2005, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

I'd say that you remind me alot of myself when I was your age. Get your priorities straight. You are 19 and still have a ways to go...
You WILL have other cars and nicer ones or at the very least the income neccesary to do what you want to this car.
Patience young Jedi
Old 05-17-2005, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm in college to I know how expensive it is but I would keep the car science its the car you always want it plus it will be a collectible some day.We all have problems with our cars but we always fix them so you should too. Just put it this way as it the parts break down you can upgrade them.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:30 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the help guys, i guess i'll just take it as it comes, it looks like it'll cost me more to sell it/get a new car, insurance, and the fact that the new one wont be paid for, i guess w/another 10k (i'd spend AT LEAST that plus what i got from the TA for a new car) it would be right where i want it providing i do the rebuild myself, install exhaust, blah blah blah, i guess all i'll need a shop for is tranny, hood/full paint. hmm now i need 10k
Old 05-18-2005, 02:36 AM
TECH Addict

whatever you do keep it. if anything just store it away and drive it to gatherings or really nice days. whenever you drive a car like that everyday you tend to get tired of it. try to imagine what it would be like to be without the car. itll make you change your mind. i could never see selling either of my cars.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hang on to it. You'll be sorry if you get rid of it.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Ive been through a wife and 2 wrecks and I still havent gotten rid of mine. I was without it for about a month and I tell you, I missed driving it. They are just so much fun. I also had to rebuild the tranny, pretty expensive but it was worth it. Dont give up hope. Youll get it there on of these days.

Old 05-18-2005, 04:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Im 17 and I just wrecked my formula the day after christmas. Eventhough it cost me $4500 to fix it and I didnt have nearly enough money, I really missed driving it for the month it was in the shop. I still cant believe I did that.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Stick to it, you'll regret selling it. I have had a lot of Trans Am's over the years. I have regret selling everyone of them. I finally bought a 2000 Pewter one, hence my screen name. I'm not letting go of this one. No way.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I say keep it, it seems that almost everyone who has an FBady then sells it regrets selling their car. If your car's not the way you want it then at least plan what you want to do to your car in the future, and when you get some cash start modding it.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:28 AM
Banned

You'll be suprised how fresh a car can feel with new paint, suspension bushings and a fresh drive train. Even if you get a 15k loan to put in this car the payment would only be $300 a month and you'd have the car built just the way you want. Much better than what's on the car lots for $15k.
The T/A's book value might not be worth 15k, but to you it's worth $100,000

Last edited by FIREHAWK#608; 05-19-2005 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

If I was you I would hang onto it, seeing as how it is already paid off.
I think if you get rid of your car you will regret it. Perhaps you could get a part time job or take out a small loan and buy a beater to keep as a back-up car and spend whatever's left over on mods.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do

Last edited by calys968; 05-19-2005 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:42 PM
TECH Junkie

It is paid off! Keep it...
Old 05-19-2005, 06:41 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I suggest just being patient. You obviously really like the car, and as you mentioned it's not hurting your wallet too much to keep it. Just hang onto it and when you're out of college and have your dream job, you can finance those upgrades. Then the time will come when you can purchase a second vehicle to keep the wear and tear off the 'bird. No need to throw in the towel yet!
Old 05-19-2005, 06:57 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

Originally Posted by ACW
I'd say don't give up so soon! Stick it out and you can give the car a fresh paintjob in a few years, that's nothing that can't be fixed. There's plenty of people with higher mileage than that too; from what I've read, it really doesn't matter much as long as proper maintenance is kept up with.

I don't see a problem with getting a student loan for some upgrades, but I'd probably suggest spacing out the upgrades over time instead of all at once, so that you keep getting new things to enjoy and still have more to look forwards to.
listen to the smart man. If you sell her I guarantee you will regret it.
Old 05-21-2005, 12:10 AM
10 Second Club

hmm, it looks like im going to keep it, thanks for the advice guys, i really appreciate it! i think i will pull the student loan, but probably not for a couple of months, now i wonder what i could do w/15k
Old 05-24-2005, 02:32 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Hip Hip Horray!!!!
Old 05-24-2005, 04:25 PM
Banned

Even if you don't want to rebuild your current car you can sell it and buy another TA with half the miles for close to the same money if you do it right.
Please buy a beater so you wont run your TA into the ground. If you owned a Ferrari, wouldn't you do almost anything to get a cheap daily driver so you wont mile up the "special" car? Even if it was a $750 turd that was reliable enough, tint the windows black so nobody will see you driving it, and on the times you drive the "special " you'll feel that much better.

Quick Reply: Losing heart