Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 12:17 AM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Luna
I mean look at the GTO , they screwed that up REAL good
No they didn't.

The new GTO is better in every way than the best of the old GTOs. And like the '64, it's a plain coupe. If anything, it's MORE to heritage than a lot of people think.

With the right grill inserts, hood and rims it does look killer. And the orange concept (Wilwood I think?) with the large fender flares looks absolutely phenomenal.

The '05 is more aggressive. This is a trend that will only continue, just like it did back in '64.

The Firebird and Trans Am are too good to allow to die permenantly. The GTO should NEVER be twinned to a ******* camaro. This bullshit about "they could never do it justice so I don't want it back" is what's leading to the utterly WRONG bullshit being kicked around at GM (a camaro with no Firebird and a GTO twin). How the **** can someone love a car and want to see it dead? Would there be such a desire for it to be killed if they never ended production? **** this nonsense, get over it, bring the damn car back. Give us an option between camaro and Corvette. Of which only the latter is any damn good but prohibitively expensive (and now looks like a damned camaro anyway). And the GTO isn't that option. That's a 3-series competitor, not a pony car or sports car (great though it is).

And no, GM won't consider those images, they aren't anybody's concept except the amature artist who created them for his own amusement.

Old 08-25-2005, 03:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess its a matter of opinion then
Old 08-28-2005, 01:33 AM
Teching In

Don't worry about a 5th gen bird gettin screwed up, if I am not mistaken i remember an artice in which a GM rep. stated that Pontiac is changing directions and tryin to get into the same market as BMW, and the Firebird/TA/Formula all attracted the wrong buyers which then, in turn, would damage Pontiac's target image..... Personally I think that is a bunch of bs and if they want to change directions then make the Firebird a higher priced car that kills everything..... either way a car this great can't just die off.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:17 AM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, Putz himself said that Pontiac was supposed to compete with BMW.

Thing is... that's what Cadillac is doing. Putting 2 divisions in the same market space isn't going to work, and is not likely to happen. Plus nothing will be allowed (by management) to equal or top Cadillac anyway.

The guy's an idiot. And schizo too, constantly changing direction (like dropping Zeta NA at the last minute and leaving Holden hanging after so much prep). On top of that, he hates the Firebird. We still need his head on a platter. Getting him out of GMNA sounded like a great thing except that it was actually a promotion.